...is McCarney really a good coach?

meangreener

Seriously. I realize we have a bad offense and there's a bunch of terrible players but we play so frustratingly conservative. McCarney's plan is so predictable, they're never ready to play and there's no adjustments. Seriously, WKU got turned around quicker than us. So did ULM. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? After a sold out allotment, and fans who just obviously want a winning team how do you choke so terribly? I still think we will pull 20K+ for the game but that's still depressing that we just suck so bad. We've developed a fanbase. McCarney needs to play like it's a real college team. Not the 2002 Ravens.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 13

Its the reason why he was kicked out of Ames, I just dont understand why he doesnt let chico run the offense, hes acting like Jerry.... There was a lot of personal fouls called on us... From what Im hearing, Brock is looking really good.. And everyone knew our DBS were going to have a rough time this year, and this game showed it

Well we have no WRs, can't run the ball bc they stack the line on us. Can't stop anyone. Makes for a bad mix! Don't match up well with UH on the outside at all.

How can we match up with a spread offense when we play base 4-3 every down no matter what the other team comes out in?

Yes, Mac is a good coach. And he was better than the other candidates.

The Belt is having an up year, so our expectations might be out of touch with what's really going on.

A lot of experts had this team going 5-6, but noting we'd be a better team facing a harder schedule.

So far our record is exactly as predicted by the major outlets.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

No doubt in my mind he's a vastly better coach than dodge... not that that says anything. Would he have been the perfect guy to follow Dickey? I think so. Will he prove to be the miracle worker the program needed after the dodge hole? I don't think so.

• Upvote 5

From the post-game interview: "It looked like we were running in sand, and they were running on grass." He knows we still lack the athletes we need to compete at a high level, but I think he'll get that corrected over the next season or two.

That is an excuse that every new coach uses. The entire staff needs to coach and teach these guys to play ball and quit making excuses.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Our coaching is really poor; too conservative. Too conservative and predictable. Horrible losses. I like Mac, but hope he grows bigger coaching balls befor the year's end.

I have to agree...I could see the poor coaching in the first quarter...we were in their field and had a 4th and 1 and he punts, when they have already showed us they run and pass at will..and he does the same thing a second time in the first qtr on a 4th and about 3-4 ...and also we have a 3rd and 20 and he throws a 7 yrd pass, and then about a 3rd and 6-7 and he throws a 35 yrd pass...overthrown of course.

They stack the line and we try to run up the middle...we had several pass plays that worked well...so we used them....lets see...once....but they plays that don't work, we used over and over....anyone, I mean anyone should have been able to see what we happening in the first qtr and say...wow, we have to be MUCH more aggressive or we will get behind quick and can't catch up....I gotta say...looks alot like TD all over again....so, Im not too sure Dan is a good coach....and if he is calling the offensive plays, I would say he is a bad offense coach....Im thinking UNT will be lucky to win 4 games this year.

And how long must we allow the short pass without covering it?...and DT...I know you want to throw a pass completion, but you sure need to be bette at picking the receiver...you so often pass to some completely covered and many yrds short to the down marker we need....you might as we throw the ball away...and our tempo...was so slow compared to Houston...and other teams we play....I think this was very much a coaching and play calling issue...to many poor play calling....punting on 4th and 1-4 when we are in trouble...failure to cover the short pass, no pass rush....I don't know, but I was at UNT in the 70's..thnik Fry...and since then...nothing x a short Dickey run...winning against sunbelt teams, that were a lot worse than they are now....we deserve better.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2