T.J. Taylor Update from Vito

Harry

On the basketball front, UNT is still waiting on a ruling from the NCAA on a waiver request for T.J. Taylor. The former Oklahoma, Paris JC, Marquette signee has enrolled at UNT. He has a complicated history.

This is not complicated. UNT never has any luck appealing to the NCAA on anything.

What makes his status all the more uncertain is that he has a shoulder injury that is preventing him from practicing with the team. He was walking around wearing a weight vest when I stopped by late in the week. Teams can have those short workouts before practice officially starts after an NCAA rules change.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/10/football-hoops-notes-2.html/

Eligibility to play in the Big 12, not here. He sat out a year once he got here, because he enrolled in the spring. His grades were perfectly fine to play here.

False. He was ineligible to play in the Sun Belt as well. The reason he had to wait out for the Fall semester last year was because he had to get 30 credits total or something like that before he qualified academically by NCAA standards. The reason he came here and didn't do that at Mizzou is because the Big 12 does not give nonqualifiers a chance to re-establish their eligibility, whereas the Sun Belt does. If he was academically eligible, and enrolled here in the Spring, he would have been able to play last Fall.

• Upvote 3

False. He was ineligible to play in the Sun Belt as well. The reason he had to wait out for the Fall semester last year was because he had to get 30 credits total or something like that before he qualified academically by NCAA standards. The reason he came here and didn't do that at Mizzou is because the Big 12 does not give nonqualifiers a chance to re-establish their eligibility, whereas the Sun Belt does. If he was academically eligible, and enrolled here in the Spring, he would have been able to play last Fall.

correct

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1

Man, I don't think I've ever heard of a shoulder injury knocking a guy out for 6 months. I am not TJ nor do I know anything about the situation so I am no position to speak about his situation. I just think that if he can come back in early January or so it would be worth it.

This is the last year we will have Tony Mitchell so we need to make it count, which means having everyone. Maybe we don't need TJ to win the Sun Belt or make it to the dance, but we want more than that this year and he is can be that difference maker for us in march.

Man, I don't think I've ever heard of a shoulder injury knocking a guy out for 6 months. I am not TJ nor do I know anything about the situation so I am no position to speak about his situation. I just think that if he can come back in early January or so it would be worth it.

This is the last year we will have Tony Mitchell so we need to make it count, which means having everyone. Maybe we don't need TJ to win the Sun Belt or make it to the dance, but we want more than that this year and he is can be that difference maker for us in march.

I know im not an athlete by an stretch but when i tore my shoulder up and had it repaired i was out of work for 6 months. Hell i was in a non motion splint for 4 months before i could even start to have free range of motion. Shoulders are not something you want to have to deal with cuz they will reek havoc, trust me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I know im not an athlete by an stretch but when i tore my shoulder up and had it repaired i was out of work for 6 months. Hell i was in a non motion splint for 4 months before i could even start to have free range of motion. Shoulders are not something you want to have to deal with cuz they will reek havoc, trust me.

I understand, but with all due respect to you, Taylor should be getting the best medical treatment possible along with daily treatment and rehab by professional trainers. I'm not saying it's not a serious injury, I'm just saying I would think it would be a possibility to get that shoulder healed over these next three months and have him ready by January.

That may not be possible, but my point is if this is a possibility I would think it might be worth it for him to only play January, February, and March rather than sit out the whole year and retain an extra year of eligibility. This is the year that we have to put all our eggs in the basket so to speak and Taylor could be just the difference maker we might need come March.

• Upvote 1

Not only that, surgeons are very hesitant to perform shoulder surgery unless it is very problematic because the outcomes can be so iffy. I had a torn labrum and experienced this first hand. They always want to consider more conservative healing methods ie physical therapy and massage.

Not only that, surgeons are very hesitant to perform shoulder surgery unless it is very problematic because the outcomes can be so iffy. I had a torn labrum and experienced this first hand. They always want to consider more conservative healing methods ie physical therapy and massage.

Interesting, I also had a torn labrum about 10 years ago, to the point of having multiple dislocations due to instability in the joint. I had surgery and had a fantastic result with rehab. I guess your results may vary but everyone I've talked to who had some sort of labrum or shoulder surgery had a good result from it. You are correct however in that they did try some therapy first but my joint was just too far gone to have any benefit from strengthening the area. Sometimes you just have to repair the damage surgically.

Dislocated it initially during a ridiculous fraternity game called broom ball. If you haven't heard of it it is like hockey with broomsticks, a rubber ball, and tennis shoes on an ice rink. Yeah, just as you are imagining, fun as hell but really, really dangerous and stupid. I wasn't the only injury that day.

Edited by Stan R
  • Upvote 1