UNT's Craig Robertson Proving He Belongs in the NFL

Harry

Craig Robertson almost never left the field when he played football for Stafford High School in suburban Houston.

He was a quarterback, running back and go-to wide receiver on third down. He also played defensive back and even served as a punter and place-kicker, too.

So which duty was his favorite?

“I liked having the ball in my hands really,” Robertson said.

Now Robertson is a linebacker for the Browns, and his preference hasn’t changed. His knack for being around the ball has helped him make two interceptions through four games and earn a prominent role as one of two linebackers used in the team’s nickel package. He has played 188-of-317 defensive snaps (59 percent) this season.

It’s quite a feat for someone who went undrafted out of the University of North Texas last year and didn’t even receive an invitation to an NFL training camp. The Browns signed Robertson to their practice squad on Dec. 19, 2011, and he has since become one of the team’s most remarkable success stories.

“A lot of people back home, they’re like, ‘Man, you’re in the NFL now,’ ” Robertson said. “It’s still unreal at times. I still think of it as a dream come true, and I cherish every day.”

Robertson was one of the team’s bright spots Thursday night in its 23-16 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. The Browns (0-4) will likely continue to heavily rely on him Sunday, when they visit the New York Giants.

read more: http://www.ohio.com/news/top-stories/browns-linebacker-craig-robertson-proving-he-belongs-in-nfl-shouldn-t-be-overlooked-1.338455