Last Year...

GreenMachine

When Canales was interim HC and totally in charge of the offense, we were fun to watch, exciting and unpredictable. As much as I love college football, its just not enjoyable to watch this offense. Hopefully its just me and the students don't feel the same way.

It's not just you. Our offense is frustrating, not exciting. Even if we win, our games aren't fun to watch. Our wins have been painfully boring, sadly. I believe in defense, but if we don't get a better offense going we're in store for a 3 win season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

A certain someone would like to chime in on this discussion...

857624.jpeg

As I read this thread, this is exactly who crossed my mind. Famous thoughts while watching his UNT teams play: Run the ball all three downs before punting. Take about 10 decent passing attempts per game. Run out the clock. Have defense get some stops and turnovers. Finish the game as quick as possible.

If our fans are bored now, then a lot of them would have felt like they just took sleeping pills during the last two years of Dickey's tenure here. Those were some really boring games. As bad as Dodge's teams were, boring might have been the only term that you couldn't use to criticze the ineptness of their play, which is probably why Dodge enjoyed higher attendance averages than Dickey did while HFC.

Our Coach is already turning the team around. It is evident when you look at the performances we've had against the top tier teams we've played. (even for a loss, our guys looked fired up & were walking away from the game with some big plays). McCarney is better than Dickey too. Dickey had some good wins & good teams, but remember the black jersey stunt - I lost total respect for the bush-leaguer. I'm totally ok with the coaching calls from this season. A running offense with a solid defense is good enough for me if thats what it takes to win games. We don't need "the greatest show on turf" to be competitive. Dodge promised to "air it out" and where did that get us?

Yeee of little faith.

.....Story of the board.

Lets jump on the band wagon and make things happen! HOW BOUT SOME POSITIVE THOUGHTS! So much negativity. Geez.

GMG!

I never really saw Dickey's teams as boring when we were demolishing teams. In fact it was hilarious to watch the other teams get frustrated at not being able to do anything when we ran for 5 yards at a time and sucked their will to win away while at the same time sucking clock time. Precision clock management and devastating defenses. That isn't boring to me.

Wins are fun.

• Upvote 3

I never really saw Dickey's teams as boring when we were demolishing teams. In fact it was hilarious to watch the other teams get frustrated at not being able to do anything when we ran for 5 yards at a time and sucked their will to win away while at the same time sucking clock time. Precision clock management and devastating defenses. That isn't boring to me.

Wins are fun.

YUP!

I think our team is much more entertaining to watch, as a whole, than any team at UNT since Matt Simon was HC. If we can add a few more solid skill position players, I think the complaints about being somewhat conservative will vanish. Maybe we try do too much, b/c we don't execute as well as we should. We run multiple formations, add in motion, pull linemen, run with power, run delays, play action, wildcat, etc. Mainly, though, we are tough, physical and we hit. A tough, physical football team is infinitely more enjoyable to watch than any pansy spread based offense, impo.

• Upvote 1

Mac passes the ball much more than Dickey did:

• Over the last two years Mac has averaged about 1.5 runs for every pass play called.
  • In the bowl years Dickey's ratios were: 2.1, 2.7, 2.5 and 2.2; we also averaged about 4.1 yards a run.
  • Interestingly, in Dickey last two disastrous years the ratio fell to about 1.5.
  • For comparison, in Dodge's three full years that ratio was: 0.7, 0.7, 1.0

Looking at the numbers tells me that Scott Hall should be in the HOF right now. His play seems to be the real difference between our bowl games and what has happened recently. Two big stats jump out.

Hall's Yards Per Passing Attempt were good.

2001: 7.5

2003: 9.3

2004: 7.7

For comparison here is the ratio for the six years after:

2005: 4.7

2006: 5.2

2007: 6.3

2008: 5.6

2009: 6.5

2010: 6.9

Hall's TD to Interception Ratio was outstanding:

2001: 1.5

2002: 2.6

2003: 3.5

Again, for comparison:

2005: 0.5

2006: 0.7

2007: 0.9

2008: 0.9

2009: 0.6

2010: 2.8

Interestingly, Thompson seems to be on track to hit two magic numbers this year. First off, his YPA is 7.5, the first QB to keep that above 7 since Scott Hall. Second, his TD/INT ratio is exactly 2.0.

• Upvote 3