The CougarKing Comes to GMG Thread (With Guest Star MeanGreener)

Cougar King

As much as I want to see us "pound some kitty kat", I don't know if our offensive passing attack will be enough to "penetrate" the UH redzone enough times to "feel the climax" of a road victory.

UH will load the box and dare DT to throw us to victory.

Cougs - 31

Green - 17

• Upvote 3

I hope a lot of you Mean Green fans show up for this in-state battle. Be respectful, cheer loud for your team and we will all have a jolly good time. We have too many weapons on offense and our D has been clicking since the UCLA game. Should be a good game.

Why is Greenberry not getting a ton of passes thrown his way?

NT03:

If you do not mind walking a little just park on campus. I parked at the law center for the first game and walked to the stadium. It is a nice 10 minute walk through campus (think parking at Wooten to go to a basketball game). And I'm sure you could find closer, free, parking than the law center.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle

Why is Greenberry not getting a ton of passes thrown his way?

Greenberry has a bit of a hard time getting open but is making progress. Very raw talent and surprised us with his big catch on Saturday.

Students are going down to Htown to raise hell.

UNT students can't handle the anarchy that goes down at The Rob. They sit in our student section, they will leave covered in red paint. ;)

I could have got in w/ my student ID. I did not want to be the only dude wearing green around those students.

However, when we pull a Texas State I don't think it will matter too much.

Texas State fans started acting like assholes in the 3rd quarter and let's just say a few UH fans left the stadium in handcuffs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Greenberry has a bit of a hard time getting open but is making progress. Very raw talent and surprised us with his big catch on Saturday.

UNT students can't handle the anarchy that goes down at The Rob. They sit in our student section, they will leave covered in red paint. ;)

I survived LSU, I'm pretty sure I can handle "The Rob"

• Upvote 3

How is parking around the stadium ? I found some passes on stubhub, should I purchase ?

You could, but if you get there reasonably early, you can pay cash (should be $20) for covered parking at the nice new parking garage just a few yards from the Rob. There are also plenty of cash lots ranging from $10-$20 on campus that are just a few blocks' walk.

• Upvote 1

Ah yes, "the Rob", that legendary home field advantage that rattled Texas State and Louisiana Tech to their cores SO much that they both strolled out with laughs, good times, and easy wins. Those sub-30k crowds that are just so famously rowdy that opponents tremble in fear... Yes, THAT's our concern. A place SO awesome and SO intense that they're tearing it down... literally, not in the way that provisional FBS TxSt tore the football team apart by three scores.Odds are good that the crowd down the road at Osteen's place is both bigger and rowdier.

Should Houston be favored? Absolutely. But it's not because of a 70 year old hole (estimated to be worth $9m by today's standards... roughly the cost of Apogee's bathrooms) and a fan base known by absolutely no one anywhere for anything except general apathy (to that, we are brothers in arms).

Edited by CaribbeanGreen
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Good memories of "the Rob" for me.

It was previosuly called Jeppessen Stadium--Home of the Oilers... where I saw a few of their games there during the early 1960's--post Indian Wars era, of course.

Former Jeppesen Stadium, Rice Stadium (for 2 years) & early days in the Astrodome Houston Oilers I remember without Googling: George Blanda, Billy Cannon, Charlie Hennigan, Charlie Tolar, Bob Talamini, George Webster, Kenny Houston, Don Trull, John Henry Johnson, Lawarence Elkins, Ode Burrell, Sid Blanks, Pete Beathard, Jim Norton, Don Floyd, Garland Boyette, Ernie Ladd (briefly), Charlie Frazier, Hoyle Granger, Warren Moon, Kenny Burroughs, Mike Renfro, Dan Pastorini, Lynn Dickey, Scott Appleton, Elvin Bethea. I've left off way too many due to memory constraints.

GMG!

Addendum: 3 of the worst trades in Houston professional sports history was the Oiler's Kenny Houston to the Redskins for ?????; then the Astros Joe Morgan to the Reds for ?????? and of course, fellow Brazoria County'ite, Alvin HS and Astros' great Nolan Ryan to the Rangers for ???????????

GMG ! !

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Ah yes, "the Rob", that legendary home field advantage that rattled Texas State and Louisiana Tech to their cores SO much that they both strolled out with laughs, good times, and easy wins. Those sub-30k crowds that are just so famously rowdy that opponents tremble in fear... Yes, THAT's our concern. A place SO awesome and SO intense that they're tearing it down... literally, not in the way that provisional FBS TxSt tore the football team apart by three scores.Odds are good that the crowd down the road at Osteen's place is both bigger and rowdier.

Should Houston be favored? Absolutely. But it's not because of a 70 year old hole (estimated to be worth $9m by today's standards... roughly the cost of Apogee's bathrooms) and a fan base known by absolutely no one anywhere for anything except general apathy (to that, we are brothers in arms).

Where have you been the last 5 years? Unlike UNT, we have sold out our stadium almost every game including TxST and La Tech. We brought 30k to Reliant this past weekend even though we were 0-3. College Gameday came to our campus last season while they still call you North Texas State. We get 4 and 5 star recruits which of course is a foreign concept to you guys. Tickets for our games went up to $200 a pop at the peak of last year and even $40 tickets are happily bought by the cougar fateful. UNT tickets are pretty much free and people STILL don't want them. The news had a contest giving away 4 tickets because the game sold out in less than a day. Our students ARE NOT apathetic, they stay until the end of the game. Unlike UNT, we don't crucify our Fraternities for setting up their letters and tailgating outside the stadium espicially when they voluntarily clean up before kickoff and come inside. You obviously did not watch the La Tech game since we lost 56-49 and took them down the last second. We are heading to an AQ conference, you guys are just another directional school. We ARE NOT brothers in arms, you ARE NOT our equals. You guys couldn't get into the SWC back in the day. You guys are overshadowed and outrecruited by SMU of all schools.

WE put players in the NFL, you guys generally don't. We have produced Heisman candidates. You're lucky to have one of your players on the All-SunBelt team. We have T-Shirt fans in our city, our city hall was decorated in Cougar Red. Denton supports a women's college more than UNT. You don't want to play this game with me.

THIS is what our stadium typically looks like on a Saturday night. (Even though this was a day game lol)

--

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 12

Where have you been the last 5 years? Unlike UNT, we have sold out our stadium almost every game including TxST and La Tech. We brought 30k to Reliant this past weekend even though we were 0-3. College Gameday came to our campus last season while they still call you North Texas State. We get 4 and 5 star recruits which of course is a foreign concept to you guys. Tickets for our games went up to $200 a pop at the peak of last year and even $40 tickets are happily bought by the cougar fateful. UNT tickets are pretty much free and people STILL don't want them. The news had a contest giving away 4 tickets because the game sold out in less than a day. Our students ARE NOT apathetic, they stay until the end of the game. Unlike UNT, we don't crucify our Fraternities for setting up their letters and tailgating outside the stadium espicially when they voluntarily clean up before kickoff and come inside. You obviously did not watch the La Tech game since we lost 56-49 and took them down the last second. We are heading to an AQ conference, you guys are just another directional school. We ARE NOT brothers in arms, you ARE NOT our equals. You guys couldn't get into the SWC back in the day. You guys are overshadowed and outrecruited by SMU of all schools.

WE put players in the NFL, you guys generally don't. We have produced Heisman candidates. You're lucky to have one of your players on the All-SunBelt team. We have T-Shirt fans in our city, our city hall was decorated in Cougar Red. Denton supports a women's college more than UNT. You don't want to play this game with me.

THIS is what our stadium typically looks like on a Saturday night. (Even though this was a day game lol)

--

You're in Houston.

Game, Set, Match. #NTWINS

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1