Defense Comes Up Big In UNT's 20-14 Win over FAU

Harry

Boca Raton, Fla. (9/29/12) - The North Texas defense forced three turnovers, and Zach Olen made two field goals to lead the Mean Green football team to a 20-14 win against Florida Atlantic on Saturday night at the FAU Football Stadium.

North Texas improves to 2-3 and wins its first conference game of the season. FAU falls to 1-4 and 0-1 in the Sun Belt. The Mean Green has won three in a row against the Owls, including two on the road.

The game was one of momentum shifts as North Texas took an early 10-0 lead in the first half. Derek Thompson threw a touchdown pass, and the Mean Green defense recorded an interception, a fumble recovery and four sacks in the first two quarters. Another Thompson touchdown throw kept the pendulum on the Mean Green side through most of the third quarter.

In a span of 72 seconds beginning at the end of the third quarter, FAU scored 14 points to get back in the game and swing the momentum back its way. A long Mean Green drive midway through the fourth quarter that resulted in an Olen field goal extended the North Texas lead, and the Mean Green defense held off the Owls for the remainder of the game.

Olen redeemed himself against FAU after going 0-for-3 against Troy last week. The field-goal kicker went 2-for-2 in the game, including a season long of 48 yards.

Thompson threw for 251 yards, a season best. He completed 18 of 30 passes, including a long of 68. The junior recorded two TD passes, a 68-yard throw to Brelan Chancellor and a 14-yard pass to Drew Miller.

On its second possession of the third quarter, North Texas took advantage of good field position. A 39-yard punt by Will Atterberry was downed by NT at the FAU 5-yard line. The Mean Green forced a three-and-out, and North Texas started its drive from the FAU 42-yard line. A 21-yard run by Jeremy Brown helped set up a 14-yard touchdown reception by tight end Miler. It was his second career touchdown catch. The catch gave North Texas a 17-0 lead.

FAU scored 14 straight points in a span of 72 seconds to cut the Mean Green lead to three points, 17-14.

Read more: http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=205701942

Boca Raton, Fla. (9/29/12) - The North Texas defense forced three turnovers, and Zach Olen made two field goals to lead the Mean Green football team to a 20-14 win against Florida Atlantic on Saturday night at the FAU Football Stadium.

North Texas improves to 2-3 and wins its first conference game of the season. FAU falls to 1-4 and 0-1 in the Sun Belt. The Mean Green has won three in a row against the Owls, including two on the road.

The game was one of momentum shifts as North Texas took an early 10-0 lead in the first half. Derek Thompson threw a touchdown pass, and the Mean Green defense recorded an interception, a fumble recovery and four sacks in the first two quarters. Another Thompson touchdown throw kept the pendulum on the Mean Green side through most of the third quarter.

In a span of 72 seconds beginning at the end of the third quarter, FAU scored 14 points to get back in the game and swing the momentum back its way. A long Mean Green drive midway through the fourth quarter that resulted in an Olen field goal extended the North Texas lead, and the Mean Green defense held off the Owls for the remainder of the game.

Olen redeemed himself against FAU after going 0-for-3 against Troy last week. The field-goal kicker went 2-for-2 in the game, including a season long of 48 yards.

Thompson threw for 251 yards, a season best. He completed 18 of 30 passes, including a long of 68. The junior recorded two TD passes, a 68-yard throw to Brelan Chancellor and a 14-yard pass to Drew Miller.

On its second possession of the third quarter, North Texas took advantage of good field position. A 39-yard punt by Will Atterberry was downed by NT at the FAU 5-yard line. The Mean Green forced a three-and-out, and North Texas started its drive from the FAU 42-yard line. A 21-yard run by Jeremy Brown helped set up a 14-yard touchdown reception by tight end Miler. It was his second career touchdown catch. The catch gave North Texas a 17-0 lead.

FAU scored 14 straight points in a span of 72 seconds to cut the Mean Green lead to three points, 17-14.

Read more: http://www.meangreen...TCLID=205701942

If we had not had 3 turnovers, what would this score have been...not a pleasant thought.
  • Upvote 2

If we had not had 3 turnovers, what would this score have been...not a pleasant thought.

This defense is focused on creating a positive turn over ratio. So, hard to consider the other possibility. While true, some programs excel in getting a positive turn=over ratio. if thats what we have, then it doesn't matter what the score "might have been" . If Whitfeld have held on to his two potential picks, it could have been a blow out. The bottom line is the team won on the road in a must win situation for the team.

• Upvote 1

I'm happier all the time. I just realized how that winning is now considered possible, even expected at times. There was a time that wasn't true.

You think Pelini didn't dedperately want that win? That beautiful stadium and Lordy it looked like Ford. We got issues that's clear but you gotta be pleased to win on the road don't care who it is. BTW - methinks FAU is better than the lopsided scores against um Georgia etc were not a good indicator of who they were.

You think Pelini didn't dedperately want that win? That beautiful stadium and Lordy it looked like Ford. We got issues that's clear but you gotta be pleased to win on the road don't care who it is. BTW - methinks FAU is better than the lopsided scores against um Georgia etc were not a good indicator of who they were.

Yes, he certainly wanted that win in the worst way, and there was no quit in his team.

• Upvote 1

Couple of little hiccups in the article that I should ignore but what the heck... Brown did not have a running play of 21 yards. If I remember correctly, it was a pass play. The reason I bring it up is that I'd like to see him more as a slot receiver than a running back, spelling Chancellor. He has very good speed and, hopefully, decent hands.

The other minor reporting error is that Olen was only 0-2 last week (not 0-3). The third miss was by Zach Paul. As it turned out Olen was the difference in this game, point-wise.

Couple of little hiccups in the article that I should ignore but what the heck... Brown did not have a running play of 21 yards. If I remember correctly, it was a pass play. The reason I bring it up is that I'd like to see him more as a slot receiver than a running back, spelling Chancellor. He has very good speed and, hopefully, decent hands.

The other minor reporting error is that Olen was only 0-2 last week (not 0-3). The third miss was by Zach Paul. As it turned out Olen was the difference in this game, point-wise.

Glad others are agreeing with me now; Brown has genuine speed (I've heard second fastest on the team after Chancellor). Getting 2 passes to him tonight was a good start. And the guy wants the ball.

I agree except for spelling Chancellor. I would like to see him in more RB pass plays like the one that he got his big gain in. I would prefer that both of them (Chancellor and Brown) be in the game at the same time. It would create more mismatches.

And as another example of a coach that "gets it". Scroll to the 8:15 point (right at the end) of this highlight video....

http://www.meangreen...&DB_OEM_ID=1800

First of all, if anyone were to stroll around the tailgating area before games and stopped at any tailgating site and asked the tailgaters there if they could sing the fight song, how many would A. be able to do it, and B. do it with even half the enthusiasm as the football team.

Plus, did you notice Coach McCarney jumping in there to emphasize the word "victory" in the fight song? ....Priceless!

It's basic stuff like this that starts a culture change. And it's NOT COACH MCCARNEY'S JOB TO CREATE THE CULTURE CHANGE OUTSIDE OF HIS OWN FOOTBALL TEAM.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was at the game. Please note 56 yards rushing on 30 carries. This is misleading, as we got 10 yards on naked reverse by QB, and 20+ yards by #28 when he was able to bounce out wide. That got us inside 20, where we were pushed back and kicked field goal. FAU was called for personal foul, we had 1st and goal from 10, were pushed back, and kicked field goal for 2nd time. Again, FAU called for personal foul, again we had 1st and goal from 10, again we were pushed back, and kicked field goal for the 3rd time on same drive. Bottom line:we could not run against FAU all night. Not up the middle, nor turn the corners, and were lucky to get back to line of scrimmage.Better luck rushing against Houston.

And as another example of a coach that "gets it". Scroll to the 8:15 point (right at the end) of this highlight video....

http://www.meangreen...&DB_OEM_ID=1800

First of all, if anyone were to stroll around the tailgating area before games and stopped at any tailgating site and asked the tailgaters there if they could sing the fight song, how many would A. be able to do it, and B. do it with even half the enthusiasm as the football team.

Plus, did you notice Coach McCarney jumping in there to emphasize the word "victory" in the fight song? ....Priceless!

It's basic stuff like this that starts a culture change. And it's NOT COACH MCCARNEY'S JOB TO CREATE THE CULTURE CHANGE OUTSIDE OF HIS OWN FOOTBALL TEAM.

Wow!! I LOVE Coach Mac!!!!