Yet Another Fatal Family Pit Bull Attack

Firstly, animals and small children don't mix well outside of a very, very controlled environment, and anyone who fails to realize this is an ignoramus who shouldn't legally be allowed to reproduce to begin with. But, I digress...

Pit bulls aren't the problem here, the same way guns aren't the problem when people get shot. People are the problem. You take an 80-100 pound dog with Schwarzenegger muscles and a locking jaw, and you put him in an environment with uneducated people who haven't the slightest clue how to own/train/take care of a dog, and there are going to be problems. Unfortunately, the uneducated people who haven't the slightest clue how to own/train/take care of dogs have an immense affinity for big, bad ass, defense dogs like pit bulls, so we get lots of problems.

If you want to actually solve the problem, and not create a new one (which an outright ban of pit bulls causes), make it illegal to own an "aggressive" breed (or, better yet, ANY ANIMAL) without a background check of sorts that ensures the owners can actually handle the animal they're taking on.

I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that pit bulls are the nicest, kindest animals on earth, because saying that about any breed or animal is pointless. It all depends on the individual animal and the situation it is in. But what I can tell you is that every pit I've ever met, including my roommate's which is a boxer-pit mix that I've grown very close with, has been incredibly friendly and sweet. I can also tell you the other side of the coin, because my cousin's german shepard-pit mix, who is super friendly with people, nearly killed a small dog that was annoying him.

My roommate's dog Captain, the boxer-pit mix, is the most loving dog I've ever met in my life though. I'm comfortable enough with him to have fairly intense play-wrestling matches with him. The trick is that he's well-trained and knows his role. My roommate is his alpha, his fiance is the matriarch with whom he must be very delicate, and I'm a level of authority within the pack only slightly below the alpha. If Captain shows any sign of aggression ever or he is misbehaving in some other way, all it takes usually is a light smack on the nose and he gets it. It never takes more than a second, harder warning smack. Usually at that point, he'll try to lick me to death to apologize, and life moves on. Could he someday have a problem, switch into animal mode, and bite someone, be it me, my roommate, or a stranger? Yeah of course, any dog could. But the thought of Captain being illegal because he's aggressive is laughable at best. Anyone with the daily routine of snuggle, eat, poop, play rope, sleep, snuggle, eat, poop, play bone, snuggle, sleep, is not aggressive.

• Upvote 1

Anyone with the daily routine of snuggle, eat, poop, play rope, sleep, snuggle, eat, poop, play bone, snuggle, sleep, is not aggressive.

I just reread this and realized how great it'd be to be a dog. Lucky bastards...(pun intended)

Firstly, animals and small children don't mix well outside of a very, very controlled environment, and anyone who fails to realize this is an ignoramus who shouldn't legally be allowed to reproduce to begin with. But, I digress...

My two cats don't agree with your assessment on animals (namely cats) and children.

Edited by UNTFan23

My two cats don't agree with your assessment on animals (namely cats) and children.

I didn't say that animals and children don't mix, just that it needs to be a controlled environment. I'm a liberal hippie animal hugger (exaggeration), but if little Johnnie yanks on Fluffy's tail and gets clawed in the eye, who is at fault? Not the kid, he doesn't know better if he's a toddler. Not the animal, it's a defense reaction. It's the parents (or whoever is in charge) for not maintaining control over the environment in which the interaction occurred.

Cats are obviously much safer than large dogs with children though.

Edited by UNTstormchaser
  • Upvote 1

I didn't say that animals and children don't mix, just that it needs to be a controlled environment. I'm a liberal hippie animal hugger (exaggeration), but if little Johnnie yanks on Fluffy's tail and gets clawed in the eye, who is at fault? Not the kid, he doesn't know better if he's a toddler. Not the animal, it's a defense reaction. It's the parents (or whoever is in charge) for not maintaining control over the environment in which the interaction occurred.

Cats are obviously much safer than large dogs with children though.

True, but it's the freakish, unprovoked attacks that dominate a lot of the stories with the pit and pit mixes that makes their ownership so concerning.

Rick

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

True, but it's the freakish, unprovoked attacks that dominate a lot of the stories with the pit and pit mixes that makes their ownership so concerning.

Rick

Absolutely agree.... many if not most these "events" I am aware of involve a dog that was trusted completely by the owner then without warning decided to take a "chunk" out of someone, often the owner.

• Upvote 1

Rick

Absolutely agree.... many if not most these "events" I am aware of involve a dog that was trusted completely by the owner then without warning decided to take a "chunk" out of someone, often the owner.

There are a couple things you guys have to remember about that though. For one, like I said above, unfortunately there are a much higher percentage of idiotic, worthless pit owners than there are idiotic, worthless golden retriever owners. Just because some lowlife trusts his dog doesn't mean that the dog was actually trained well and then freaked out despite that. The fact of the matter is that most problems with pits stem from the idiocy of the owners.

The other thing that needs to be considered here is that the media LOVES pit attack stories. They jump all over every single one of them, because nobody gives a damn when a black lab bites someone, but if a pit (or rottweiler/any other "aggressive" breed) bites someone, it's an instant headline. So you're going to wind up hearing a lot more about those damn pit bull monsters than you are about any other breed of dog attacking someone.

I'm not denying that any animal can snap at any time, or that pits have an especially dangerous bite due to their size, strength, and locking jaw. But the generalization of an entire breed of dog is just plain wrong, especially when the problem lies with people, and when that generalization leads to the straight-up killing of a countless number of innocent, nonviolent pits.

Here's a couple links for you guys. The first is about pits specifically and setting the record straight on some misinformation and stereotypes, and the second is a study on the most aggressive dog breeds.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/10-things-you-never-knew-about-pit-bulls.html

http://www.dogguide.net/blog/2008/07/the-3-most-aggressive-dog-breeds-revealed-pit-bulls-rottweilers-youll-be-surprised/

Off topic, but someone was actually posting the eagles nest yesterday afternoon at 3:30!?

YES .. so.?? I wasn't hung over as you seemed to have been and had no idea what you were doing. Why the comment.?

I had just finished watching UNT win and wondered if there any comments on GMG. I don't live anywhere close to Dallas. Why was it a problem to you or are you a person that just tries to find fault with everyone ..even on trivial matters ???

[ I am sorry that I posted offended you ]

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

YES .. so.?? I wasn't hung over as you seemed to have been and had no idea what you were doing. Why the comment.?

I had just finished watching UNT win and wondered if there any comments on GMG. I don't live anywhere close to Dallas. Why was it a problem to you or are you a person that just tries to find fault with everyone ..even on trivial matters ???

[ I am sorry that I posted offended you ]

I was surprised that anyone was posting in this forum right after a huge victory in the first bowl in nearly a decade. I don't see how that makes me hungover or why you got all butt hurt over it, but whatever floats your boat.
  • Downvote 1

--- Just pointing out that you seem to have nothing better to do than criticize others.... as I said I am not in Dallas area and was wondering what people were saying about the game and just glanced at the Eagles Nest before closing the site. ... Ridiculious comment....

Earlier you were criticizing me for starting paragraphs with --- ... Get a life and quit criticizing everyone for ridiculous things. .

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

--- Just pointing out that you seem to have nothing better to do than criticize others.... as I said I am not in Dallas area and was wondering what people were saying about the game and just glanced at the Eagles Nest before closing the site. ... Ridiculious comment....

Earlier you were criticizing me for starting paragraphs with --- ... Get a life and quit criticizing everyone for ridiculous things. .

No, I made a tongue in cheek comment abut your posting style, much like plumm's style has been joked about.

What I have criticized you for is making uninformed statements about subjects that you clearly do not know much about.

I'm sorry you are so sensitive and easily offended.

No, I made a tongue in cheek comment abut your posting style, much like plumm's style has been joked about.

What I have criticized you for is making uninformed statements about subjects that you clearly do not know much about.

I'm sorry you are so sensitive and easily offended.

Now I don't know anything... That is insulting.

Your posts approve of an administration that doubled the debt was and think it was conservative.... [ that means one administration equaled the total of all 42 previous ones. ]

Your posts think that was ok that an administration that invaded another country hunting phantom weapons [French, Germans and Europeans said otherwise and refused to assist ].. . you use Army in your name but don't seem concerned that 1000's died and/or were permanent injured as a result. ]

You think our governor was conservative when his administration and the legislature ran up a $25 billion budget deficit by continuously deferring payments to the next budget... 1000's of educators and state officials lost their jobs because their actions contributing to unemployment and increasing unemployment payouts

You support everyone having assault weapons, while I and rural types that own guns don't.... can you name a few situations that a regular citizen actually needed one for self defense?? NAME them since you are more informed that I am.

Apparently I am uninformed because I disagree with you. I suggest conservative means don't spend money you don't have and run up debt ... no previous governor had this problem.. ... conservative is not just giving tax cuts ..... [ name any tax cut you or I received which Perry is always claiming he has created ... wasn't sales, gasoline, or alcohol .. in fact property taxes have climbed because of less state funding..... NAME them.... since you are so well informed compared to me..

Oil and petroleum related buinesses (even retail that happens as the result of money cash available) is mostly responsible for the good economy of Texas... not Perry or the legislature... Still wondering how he claimed Texas had the best economy in the USA but had a $25 billion budget problem.... maybe that makes sense to you .... not me. EXPLAIN... since you are more informed....

Looking forward for your answers to those questions. ...

• Downvote 1