Yet Another Fatal Family Pit Bull Attack

• 5 months later...

http://now.msn.com/tennessee-proposed-law-will-make-pit-bull-owners-carry-insurance

A new bill proposed in Tennessee would require owners of "vicious dogs" to carry a minimum insurance policy of $25,000 for liability against any injuries inflicted by the dog. The bill is garnering controversy primarily because of how it seeks to define "vicious." Among other things, it says any animal that "belongs to a breed that is commonly known as a pit bull dog" will be considered vicious. Obviously, pit advocates are up in arms: "We're not treating the owner problem. We're treating the symptom, which is a dog issue," said East Tennessee Pit Bull Rescue founder Wendy Jackson.

Interesting. I'll predict this doesn't pass as it's written. If anything it should simply cover all dogs who can apply a harmful/fatal bite and or attack that is usually prone to do so as they should have the stats for the breeds most common to this behavior. Anything with American Staffordshire Terrier(Pit Bull), Chow, Mastiff, Rottwieller mix included....or nothing at all.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Gifford's Pit Bull...(wrongly called an American Bulldog..) mauls a baby seal to death caught on video camera.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/03/25/gabrielle-giffords-husband-pulls-daughters-dog-off-sea-lion-in-laguna-beach/

The fools are lucky this wasn't a child, their own or someone else's.

Rick

Man your witch hunt on these dogs is pretty impressive.

Also impressive is how gun control and dog control have collided in your post.

Man your witch hunt on these dogs is pretty impressive.

Also impressive is how gun control and dog control have collided in your post.

I dont know....man, it's simply interesting to me...like making pies, rebuilding cars and large guns that go boom... and such,....but me posting these accounts of attacks sure seems to bother the shit out of you ...doesn't it?

Meanwhile, I'm amazed this was caught on a video. It rarely ever is because it happens so suddenly , and usually to a member of the family.

Rick

I dont know....man, it's simply interesting to me...like making pies, rebuilding cars and large guns that go boom... and such,....but me posting these accounts of attacks sure seems to bother the shit out of you ...doesn't it?

Meanwhile, I'm amazed this was caught on a video. It rarely ever is because it happens so suddenly , and usually to a member of the family.

Rick

Actually, no, it doesn't bother me.

I just get the feeling that you want to abolish a breed of dog based on anecdotal evidence the same way many people want to abolish guns for reasons similar. (anecdotal/what "could" happen.) And I find that rather fascinating knowing what a proponent of the 2nd amendment you are etc etc.

I like pie though. Lemon Ice Box, cold chocolate, apple of course and egg custard..(No meringue please.) So maybe there is some common ground for us.

• Upvote 2

Actually, no, it doesn't bother me.

I just get the feeling that you want to abolish a breed of dog based on anecdotal evidence the same way many people want to abolish guns for reasons similar. (anecdotal/what "could" happen.) And I find that rather fascinating knowing what a proponent of the 2nd amendment you are etc etc.

I like pie though. Lemon Ice Box, cold chocolate, apple of course and egg custard..(No meringue please.) So maybe there is some common ground for us.

I apologize then. Misread you there. It's just a safety issue with me and an interesting thing that I have had the very unfortunate time to have witnessed. When it happens to an adult is one thing, but to an innocent child is another that never leaves you.....ever!

You know, I have two kick ass recipes for maringue but I'm not a fan of it either and no one at the firehall ever requests it, so I don't bother.

I need to try lemon though for sure.

Rick

• Upvote 2

Rick 3,000 people have died from Guns in since Sandy Hook. How many people have died from Pit Bull attacks since that time?

Honest question for Grown Folk: Do you care more about banning Pit Bulls, which is never going to happen or implementing a Universal background check for all guns, including those at Gun Shows?

• Downvote 1

Rick 3,000 people have died from Guns in since Sandy Hook. How many people have died from Pit Bull attacks since that time?

Honest question for Grown Folk: Do you care more about banning Pit Bulls, which is never going to happen or implementing a Universal background check for all guns, including those at Gun Shows?

That's untrue. (At least according to the Huffington Post.) The number is closer to 2200.

That's untrue. (At least according to the Huffington Post.) The number is closer to 2200.

More than 3,100

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2012/12/gun_death_tally_every_american_gun_death_since_newtown_sandy_hook_shooting.html

That site offers no context to the 3100 deaths. How many were homicides? How many were in self defense? How many were suicides? You might as well give us the total death toll for the US and tell us there is some sort of failure to prevent all those deaths.

• Upvote 1

http://data.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/gun-deaths

huffington is counting murders and accidental shootings. No mention of sucicide.

I'm not terribly convinced that slates methodology is all that credible since all you have to do is tweet them about a shooting you "know" of for it to be counted.

OK, lets go with the Huffington Post number. 2,234 as of March 24, 2013. Ninety Eight days after Newtown, that's an average of 22.79 people per day. The Honest question for Grown Folk: Was and still is; Do you care more about banning Pit Bulls, which is never going to happen, or implementing a universal background check for all guns, including those at Gun Shows?

OK, lets go with the Huffington Post number. 2,234 as of March 24, 2013. Ninety Eight days after Newtown, that's an average of 22.79 people per day. The Honest question for Grown Folk: Was and still is; Do you care more about banning Pit Bulls, which is never going to happen, or implementing a universal background check for all guns, including those at Gun Shows?

What if I don't care about either? Is that a box I can check?