OUT COACHED

meangreenbob

it wasn't the man who makes $550k a year that was out coached. chico was fucking horrible tonight! for calling what i thought was a brilliant game last week, he was just as bad this week. it looked like a kid was drawing up those trick plays tonight and troy was all over them, except for the one where dt overthrew a wide open miller....that one had them. chico and special teams cost this team the win tonight. in my opinion.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

400+ total yards offense, 3 missed field goals, two times we had to go for it on 4th and long inside of the 30 because of kicking concerns. Dropped balls, overthrown when wide open, drive killing personal foul. Most athletic player in SBC fair catches all punts. Give up 77 yards in 1:13 to end the 2nd half for a TD. Then a bomb on a very well played man coverage pass for another TD.

It was a bad game. DT did not play well.

But Chico lost the game. Lol

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I think McCarney does a lot more than some of y'all think. Or maybe it's just a coincidence that we went from having one of the most versatile offenses in college football, in terms of play calling, to one of the most predictable, even though the OC never changed.

Ask any Iowa State fan and they will likely tell you that is what eventually lead to McCarney being run out of town in Ames.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think McCarney does a lot more than some of y'all think. Or maybe it's just a coincidence that we went from having one of the most versatile offenses in college football, in terms of play calling, to one of the most predictable, even though the OC never changed.

Totally agree

I was almost going crazy during that one. And whatever some of you want to say that clearly is not on DT, that is on the coaches. Now it is hard to tell for me whether the subs problem is on McCarney or Canales, but the called play I blame on Canales. To be fair though he had called a good game the week before.

I don't know about asking any Iowa State fan that being over/outcoached got him run out of Ames. There are plenty of ISU fans that still love the man.

I also have a tough time believing that he is a control freak who must make all of the decisions. Most of his staff has worked with him before and I don't see how they would be willing to put themselves in another no-win situation again. I believe that he allows his coaches leeway to decide what works in their own bailiwick. I do believe that this game was pretty much a meltdown across the offensive front. Poor execution caused some of the poor coaching decisions. It's hard to fault the defensive coaches for this game.

• Upvote 2

I still can't believe the play were NT calls an unnecessary time out in the red zone, then substitute late and get a delay of game penalty and after all that run a play that got nothing. Then have a freshman walk on try a field goal and miss. That is bad coaching and game preparation.

I agree. It was the worst coaching I've seen since Dodge iced our kicker.

McCarney's post game interview only made things worse, because it sounded like the old Dodge comments. This loss was not a team effort.

The Defense held Troy to 14 points, and UNT beat Troy in almost every statistical catagory. We lost this game beause Thompson was inconstistant at QB, couldn't do squat in the red zone, and our kicking game didn't show up for the game.

McCarney, Riddle, and Canales all share in the blame for this one.

I saw RV walking the sideline at the end of the game and he looked pissed.

The fans showed up and were loud. This team let the fans down, and some won't be back. That really pisses me off. This program was right where we've been wanting to be, and f***ed it up. Now, unless we destroy both FAU and Houston, our ULL game on ESPN2 will look like a MAC game on T.V., with empty stands.

It's just embarrassing.

• Upvote 5

Ask any Iowa State fan and they will likely tell you that is what eventually lead to McCarney being run out of town in Ames.

Interesting that you would get that opion. I was told when he was hired a small but vocal group of donors got mad and raised enough fuss because he had not won the Big XII that he had to go. And the same group dropped support for the school during his successor's term. That was from a former member of their radio team.

Every single ISU fan I meet loves the guy and wishes he was still there. A guy at my church goes into a rant about the stupidity if ISU letting their winningest coach ever get away.

Now, this does not mean I think he and the other coaches didn't make mistakes Saturday night. But I still think we and a staff that can fix the mistakes including the one they are making themselves.

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree. It was the worst coaching I've seen since Dodge iced our kicker.

McCarney's post game interview only made things worse, because it sounded like the old Dodge comments. This loss was not a team effort.

The Defense held Troy to 14 points, and UNT beat Troy in almost every statistical catagory. We lost this game beause Thompson was inconstistant at QB, couldn't do squat in the red zone, and our kicking game didn't show up for the game.

McCarney, Riddle, and Canales all share in the blame for this one.

I saw RV walking the sideline at the end of the game and he looked pissed.

The fans showed up and were loud. This team let the fans down, and some won't be back. That really pisses me off. This program was right where we've been wanting to be, and f***ed it up. Now, unless we destroy both FAU and Houston, our ULL game on ESPN2 will look like a MAC game on T.V., with empty stands.

It's just embarrassing.

As we walked out of the game my friends and I were discussing the hardest part of beng a Mean Green fan. The weekly football Armageddon. Every game feels like the future of the program and the civilized world rides upon it. Truth is it doesn't and we will be fine. We are very close to getting this thing on the right track.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Special teams are awful, but I'm thinking people just need to settle down. This team has one real playmaker on offense, Chancellor, and defenses are able to neutralize us in the red zone where he's not a threat to get behind them. We pretty much knew this was going to be the case going into the season. Not excusing the loss, but have some perspective...we are still a few players away from really turning the corner.

• Upvote 2

Interesting that you would get that opion. I was told when he was hired a small but vocal group of donors got mad and raised enough fuss because he had not won the Big XII that he had to go. And the same group dropped support for the school during his successor's term. That was from a former member of their radio team.

Every single ISU fan I meet loves the guy and wishes he was still there. A guy at my church goes into a rant about the stupidity if ISU letting their winningest coach ever get away.

Now, this does not mean I think he and the other coaches didn't make mistakes Saturday night. But I still think we and a staff that can fix the mistakes including the one they are making themselves.

Not saying anything you said is wrong, and I'm also in the "Chizik is an idiot who lucked into Cam Newton" camp... But I can't imagine any (much less "every single") ISU fan wanting McCarney back. Mac was 29 games below .500, yet meanwhile Paul Rhoads is over .500, has a bowl win, just signed a 10 year extension, is from there, and has victories over top 5 teams (plus Texas! OMG!). I can't imagine a much safer job/better fit.

• Upvote 2

Out coached my ass. They players didnt execute. Olen being completely inept is the coaches fault? DT missing on over half of his throws is the coaches fault? The players play the game, they were put in a position to win, and choked under pressure. It's that simple.

You could say we were out recruited... But this staff has only been there 2 years, so that would also be an unfair statement.

Edited by aprice
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Not saying anything you said is wrong, and I'm also in the "Chizik is an idiot who lucked into Cam Newton" camp... But I can't imagine any (much less "every single") ISU fan wanting McCarney back. Mac was 29 games below .500, yet meanwhile Paul Rhoads is over .500, has a bowl win, just signed a 10 year extension, is from there, and has victories over top 5 teams (plus Texas! OMG!). I can't imagine a much safer job/better fit.

This. I really can't believe the whole fan base is/was dying to bring back a coach that was 56-85. If that is the case then maybe there is a reason why Iowa State is Iowa State.

• Upvote 3

Out coached my ass. They players didnt execute. Olen being completely inept is the coaches fault? DT missing on over half of his throws is the coaches fault? The players play the game, they were put in a position to win, and choked under pressure. It's that simple.

You could say we were out recruited... But this staff has only been there 2 years, so that would also be an unfair statement.

Completely agree! The players need to step up and execute! This weeks practice should be all about repetition an practicing until its perfect.

• Upvote 1

As we walked out of the game my friends and I were discussing the hardest part of beng a Mean Green fan. The weekly football Armageddon. Every game feels like the future of the program and the civilized world rides upon it. Truth is it doesn't and we will be fine. We are very close to getting this thing on the right track.

We are probably at least a season away from getting this thing fixed. That game last night was probably the game we needed to get to 6-6 and a bowl game. None of the fans that are angry think it is "football Armageddon". You are taking the anger out of context. Our program isn't getting dropped or moving down to FCS, fans are just mad becuase they know this team probably won't contend for the Belt title or a bowl birth when it holds a team to 14 points at home and can't win the game.

I'm sticking with coach Mac's original phylosophy on losing. This loss to Troy was inexcusable.

• Upvote 3

This. I really can't believe the whole fan base is/was dying to bring back a coach that was 56-85. If that is the case then maybe there is a reason why Iowa State is Iowa State.

yeah we should have hired a youngster like Billy Snyder up K-State way. See how he beat that old fart Robert Stoops last night???