Its time

EagleAlum98

I think if we take care of business at FAU and can beat Houston on the road - which is no small task no matter how down they are, that puts us at 3-3. Not too shabby given our schedule. As disappointed as we were on Thompson, I have no doubt he was more disappointed in himself. The bottomline is we need him to get his head right with ball. He proved against K-State that he was capable.

If we can rebound and beat FAU and Houston, then Apogee will be rocking against La-la and the Troy game will be long forgotten.

• Upvote 1

How many times this year can anyone recall us passing over the middle, say 10-15 yards? The defense has to only defend the flats and the deep ball.

Go ahead and tell me I'm no offensive coordinator and they know best. Pathetic.

Thats been what I was thinking...what happen to the quick slant over the middle for 7-10 yrds...could have used that many times in Troy game...would prevent DT's overthrowing receivers on the intermediate and long passes...and they are hard to defend...you will probably see that from WKU and Monroe.

I just couldnt get my head around the play calling. I know DT was missing some throws, but he seemed pretty accurate on shorter passes. (And yes, I acknowlege he hit a couple of "bombs") I mean, if somewehre they decided we just couldnt make a field goal, then why would you on 2nd and 7 or 8, fire all the way to the endzone from about the 30 yard line, and burn a down???????? (And hit the brick wall at the back of the endzone) Couldnt we have just chipped away at those yards with a couple of running or screen passes, trying to get a first down? Or, at the very least, get the ball closer for a short FG try? Seems like this happened a couple of times within the 20-30 yard line. I also dont recall us running one of those Shovel passes that always seems to buy us about 5-6 yards.

Just felt like we were only going to try field goals or long passes, both with alot of risk on Saturday. None of it made any sense to me.

I kept wondering the same thing. I'm no expert at recognizing what the defense is doing to force the offense into certain plays, but it seemed like more of the kinds of plays from the KState game could have been called.

I wrote before after the TSU game that maybe they were trying to work on DT's long passes and that we'd see benefits from it in the future. Now, I don't think so. It's crazy that he can be accurate on some and then overthrow by a mile. There was a decent wind at the TSU game that could have messed with things, but it wasn't much of a factor this week.

I kept waiting for us to dink/dunk and stay ahead of the chains like we did against KState, but it didn't ever happen.

I think everyone has pretty much summed it up. I don't think I've ever felt that disappointed after a game, except maybe after getting blown out by Rice. But I have every confidence that Mac has this team going the right direction generally and that last Saturday won't be the norm going forward.

Some side notes:

• While Thompson's arm is certainly a problem, his lack of field vision has caused just as many problems last Saturday.
  • I won't be surprised if Osborne starts at FAU.
  • I also won't be surprised if we see a new Special Teams coach if we have a couple more games like that (there's a decent chance we would be 3-1 right now if our special teams play was adequate).
  • Things will get better.

#23 on defense. The DB was getting beat all night and he was already 10 yards off the receiver, you can't tell me he's the best you have.

I agree with you on certain points, but not on this one. As a red shirt freshman (Whitfield) already has several interceptions and is a very promising player. I think the DBs looked worse because of the lack of a pass rush. I do agree having the DBs playing so far off when Troy was exploiting the short sideline pass was very frustrating.

Newsflash: we're not a good football team and we haven't BEEN a good football team in a really long time. And we're apparently the only people that don't know that. Celebrating good losses is loser-speak. No one remembers, nor cares about what our team "almost" did that one time.

But this is still MY team. And I believe in this coach and his staff, and I haven't been able to say that for as long as I've followed UNT football.

We are only four games into the second year with McCarney! There's more recruiting, teaching, and learning to be done. Yeah, it's a tough loss. And yeah, it sucks. But we move on. We've got a pair of great opportunities to get back to .500 and make something of this season.

See errrbody in Houston.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1