5. TEXAS A&M AGGIES (1-1)

6. UTSA ROADRUNNERS (3-0)

7. TEXAS STATE BOBCATS (1-1)

8. NORTH TEXAS MEAN GREEN (1-2)

9. RICE OWLS (1-2)

10. SMU MUSTANGS (1-2)

11. UTEP MINERS (1-2)

12. HOUSTON COUGARS (0-3)

The 1-2 North Texas Mean Green gave the Kansas State Wildcats all they could handle last Saturday in Manhattan, falling 35-21, but putting up a strong effort in the process. After other non-conference battles against the LSU Tigers and Texas Southern, the Mean Green could be poised to make some noise in their final year as a Sun Belt Conference member as they take on the Troy Trojans this Saturday at Apogee Stadium in Denton.

Read more: http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-football/2012/09/20/nation-of-texas-college-football-rankings-week-four/

1. TEXAS LONGHORNS (3-0)

2. TEXAS TECH RED RAIDERS (3-0)

3. TCU HORNED FROGS (2-0)

4. BAYLOR BEARS (2-0)

5. TEXAS A&M AGGIES (1-1)

6. UTSA ROADRUNNERS (3-0)

7. TEXAS STATE BOBCATS (1-1)

8. NORTH TEXAS MEAN GREEN (1-2)

9. RICE OWLS (1-2)

10. SMU MUSTANGS (1-2)

11. UTEP MINERS (1-2)

12. HOUSTON COUGARS (0-3)

The 1-2 North Texas Mean Green gave the Kansas State Wildcats all they could handle last Saturday in Manhattan, falling 35-21, but putting up a strong effort in the process. After other non-conference battles against the LSU Tigers and Texas Southern, the Mean Green could be poised to make some noise in their final year as a Sun Belt Conference member as they take on the Troy Trojans this Saturday at Apogee Stadium in Denton.

Read more: http://www.rantsport...ings-week-four/

To any who think we must continue to schedule all our OOC games against top teams where we will struggle to consistently win, please see above.

Perception is reality. Win/Loss record is perception. Therefore Win/Loss is Reality.

I am not talking about the 5% die hard fans that take the time to break down the losses and see the internal positives. It is the 95% that fills the stands and buys the concessions and sends in contributions...when their team is winning. Once you build a tradition of winning, fans will be a little more forgiving, for a while.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

While this list is ridiculous and UTSA hasn't played anyone, I have had 3 people mention how well UTSA is doing so far this year and reference their 3-0 record. I brought up the quality of opponents but they didn't really care. "No losses means they're doing something right." I invited them all to watch the Mean Green play in the Alamo Dome in years to come.

• Upvote 2

other than notre dame no one gets style points or rankings for playing good teams closer than most people expected.....that is for message board homers

claiming that a team that is 3-0 has played no one when your own win is against TSU which is a horrible D1-AA team and has been for years and claiming "playing hard in two losses" equates to being 1-2 with a win against a really bad team......that is not impressive to anyone other than the homer fans of the team that is 1-2

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 11

other than notre dame no one gets style points or rankings for playing good teams closer than most people expected.....that is for message board homers

claiming that a team that is 3-0 has played no one when your own win is against TSU which is a horrible D1-AA team and has been for years and claiming "playing hard in two losses" equates to being 1-2 with a win against a really bad team......that is not impressive to anyone other than the homer fans of the team that is 1-2

We haven't been close to competitive against good teams in past years. Nice try troll.

• Upvote 1

We haven't been close to competitive against good teams in past years. Nice try troll.

if LSU and KSU are just expected to blow teams like north Texas out of the water every time they play them then they would not play the games they would just schedule the games and award the win to LSU or KSU and move on

claiming being more competitive while losing by double digits two out of three games is not going to get anyone any type of rankings......this year is not last year or three years ago....the games were played and LSU and KSU won them by a large margin how that happened, how one team looked VS in prior years, how one team looked VS other teams that played LSU and KSU......that is not relevant

if that was relevant then there would be a style points poll where teams got huge points for exceeding expectations because they were so bad before that losing closer than before still looks amazingly good compared to prior years

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Some of you people are putting WAYYYY too much stock in this one listing, from a source I've never even heard of.

Dave Campbell's has UNT #6 in Texas, UTSA #9, and TS-SM #11.

Dallas Morning News has UNT #6, UTSA #10, and TS-SM unranked.

Even the biased San Antonio paper has UNT #6, UTSA #7, and TS-SM #11.

So GL2Greatness, you might observe (but you probably won't) that reputable sportswriters know there are many times when a 1-2 team can be clearly superior to a 3-0 team.

• Upvote 3

Some of you people are putting WAYYYY too much stock in this one listing, from a source I've never even heard of.

Dave Campbell's has UNT #6 in Texas, UTSA #9, and TS-SM #11.

Dallas Morning News has UNT #6, UTSA #10, and TS-SM unranked.

Even the biased San Antonio paper has UNT #6, UTSA #7, and TS-SM #11.

So GL2Greatness, you might observe (but you probably won't) that reputable sportswriters know there are many times when a 1-2 team can be clearly superior to a 3-0 team.

and I also know that you can't sit around looking at "playing better than before" in games that are losses and count wins for the future

in 2010 LSU beat McNeese State 32-10 in the middle of the season and they beat ULM 41-0 later on that season.....I suppose that based on only losing to LSU by 22 McNeese State should have claimed they would surely dominate the sunbelt especially since a sunbelt team lost a few weeks later by 41

in 2011 Alabama beat north Texas 41-0 in the third game of the season and then only beat GaState 45-21 much later in the season.....I guess you would concede that GaState was a much better team than north Texas in 2011

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

and I also know that you can't sit around looking at "playing better than before" in games that are losses and count wins for the future

in 2010 LSU beat McNeese State 32-10 in the middle of the season and they beat ULM 41-0 later on that season.....I suppose that based on only losing to LSU by 22 McNeese State should have claimed they would surely dominate the sunbelt especially since a sunbelt team lost a few weeks later by 41

in 2011 Alabama beat north Texas 41-0 in the third game of the season and then only beat GaState 45-21 much later in the season.....I guess you would concede that GaState was a much better team than north Texas in 2011

Just a straightforward question for you...

If UNT and UTSA lined up for a football game today in the Alamodome, who do you think would win?

To any who think we must continue to schedule all our OOC games against top teams where we will struggle to consistently win, please see above.

Perception is reality. Win/Loss record is perception. Therefore Win/Loss is Reality.

I am not talking about the 5% die hard fans that take the time to break down the losses and see the internal positives. It is the 95% that fills the stands and buys the concessions and sends in contributions...when their team is winning. Once you build a tradition of winning, fans will be a little more forgiving, for a while.

So true. TT has played Northwestern State, Texas State, and New Mexico. Pretty sure we would be 3-0 also.

If UNT and UTSA lined up for a football game today in the Alamodome, who do you think would win?

Don't expect a straight answer.

This week UTSA plays NW Oklahoma St. They should move to 4-0. However, I will go on the record and predict (not very hard) that after that game they will lose the remainder of their scheduled games.

@ New Mexico St.

@ Rice

San Jose St.

Utah St.

@ La. Tech

McNeeese St. (already beat the MUTS and stand 3-0)

@ Idaho

Texas St.

UTSA needs to prepare themselves for some serious ass whippin's.

Edited by GangGreen

• I value a respectable loss to LSU more than a win over Texas Southern. If I didn't, I would favor dropping down to IAA and playing Sam Houston or Prairieview every week.

First, I recognize the list/ranking as crap. I do not believe for a second that UTSA being 3-0 at this point means anything to anyone that has been watching. However, it looks differently to the casual fan and the students.

To your point, if those are the only teams that our program can beat, then that probably says all that needs to be said and you have a valid point. However, I don't think that to be the case and I believe there are plenty of FBS programs that fit somewhere between LSU and Sam Houston.

I don't think we have to swing to the extreme that you suggest. As I have mentioned on this board previously, moral victories are dead to me. We either win or lose. We don't have control over the conference schedule, but we do have control over the OOC schedule. We might be able to learn a little something by observing what other programs are doing. One body bag game is plenty for us per year. We should at least be expected to win the other 3 OOC games in most years (2-2 at worst, which I believe we have a good chance to do this year). I don't want to be proud of 5-7. I want to be disappointed in it in the near future.

For anyone that cares to go to the trouble, take a look at www.fbschedules.com and take a look at the OOC schedules of teams like Texas Tech (wait a minute, is that TXST that I see on their calendar 3 years in a row?), Baylor, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas, on and on and on. It is hard to find a top 25 team on their OOC calendar.

I couldn't be more excited about the direction the program is headed. It takes an enormous amount of energy to build the momentum that we currently have. I don't want to derail it by posting win/loss records that casual fans AND media will dismiss as same old North Texas. I trust that Coach Mac and RV have it under control and will do what it takes.

GO MEAN GREEN! Beat the hell out of TROY!

Edited by CurveItAround
  • Upvote 1

Do we need to give the UTSA fan some credit. Think about it. They have played 4A and 5A schools as we all know, but so has almost every SEC team and they get to play each other in the championship game.

That was my stab at the SEC for never playing anyone ooc. Now for reality. Anyone who thinks 3-0 against high school teams is better than 0-2 against D1 teams is new to football. Not only that, but the 2 losses were to ranked teams. This is like the OU fans I have seen stating they could beat pro teams.

But with that said we should all have faith in our teams.

• Upvote 1