What EXACTLY is Vito's Agenda?

Censored by Laurie

. LOL, thank you. Just so everybody knows, the wife and I weren't the only people who were walking down Willowwood towards Apogee for the TSU game, and there were two or three houses that were selling parking on their lawns. Looks like a few people in the park may be coming to their senses.

crap' sorry'meant to +1 you and hit the wrong button. give him +1 please someone?

• Upvote 1

This just has to be one of the worst-written, confusing sentences I have ever read on GMG.com.

Apparently you stopped reading there (not that I blame you) because he topped it in the same post:

and it is not the job of a news paper reporter to carry the water for a program that is the job of the university and the supporters of the program.....there are reporters all over the USA that do much more harsh reports on their local programs all the time and their fans just brush it off because they are fans of a winning program that does not need to sweat what a reporter reports on their program week in and week out and even if their program is not winning they suck it up and realize that with poor performance comes less than glowing reports in the news because it is not the job of a reporter to blow smoke up peoples butts

Anyway, stay hard Brett Vito. Keep up the good work.

I think some of you are confusing the sports beat writer job with reporting on the Mid East crisis. Journalistic integrity is important, but the most critical part of being a beat writer is to cover the team well. Most long time beat writers do become fans of the teams they cover and I think it helps both in the ability to get information and the quality of the writing.

Vito provides a lot of coverage but little information. It may be his personality but he comes across to me as very passionless. Some say that is what a responsible non bias sports writer should be, but I just think it is mostly boring.

Vito and the Athletic department exist in a strange symbiotic relationship. Both depend on each other but neither like it and both have reasons to feel that way.

Vito's works hard and provides as much as he can with the relationships he has with NT. The problem is that he is nether a hard nosed "tell it like it is reporter" or a fan of the program. He is not critical of anything other than a departed head football coach. He was far less candid when the coach was actually there. On the other side, he does not have the access that most beat reporters have, therefore inside information is scant.

• Upvote 3

I read the article today about Baylor visiting ULM and the great press their QB receives and then I scan over the UNT news and it's all "Thompson was horrible the last game..."...shoulda won that last game, so he coulda written about how "Thompson was better that the last time he had a horrible game..."

Ummm. . . That because their QB has been kicking A**. Thompson has been sucking A**. Thompson has 1 good game this year and now you want the reporter to talk him up like the QB of ULM who beat Ark and lost to Auburn in OT?

• Upvote 1

I think some of you are confusing the sports beat writer job with reporting on the Mid East crisis. Journalistic integrity is important, but the most critical part of being a beat writer is to cover the team well. Most long time beat writers do become fans of the teams they cover and I think it helps both in the ability to get information and the quality of the writing.

Vito provides a lot of coverage but little information. It may be his personality but he comes across to me as very passionless. Some say that is what a responsible non bias sports writer should be, but I just think it is mostly boring.

Vito and the Athletic department exist in a strange symbiotic relationship. Both depend on each other but neither like it and both have reasons to feel that way.

Vito's works hard and provides as much as he can with the relationships he has with NT. The problem is that he is nether a hard nosed "tell it like it is reporter" or a fan of the program. He is not critical of anything other than a departed head football coach. He was far less candid when the coach was actually there. On the other side, he does not have the access that most beat reporters have, therefore inside information is scant.

Very well said and correct! Thank you sir!

Edited by KingDL1

Im pretty sure no other journalist in college football gets more coverage/discussions from the fans than Vito does on this site.

His job isn't to be a fan but to cover the good with the bad and I think he does that pretty well in his nearly 10 years

He's become part of the North Texas story whether he wanted to or not.

I just hope he gets to stick around long enough to write about the good years.