Derek Thompson

MDH

Yes. Solid performance tonight Thompson. QB play like that will give us a chance to win alot of Sun Belt games this season.

Just throw the ball away when you are outside the pocket with presure breathing down your neck.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

That is his game. DT is very accurate on short routes like slants and hitches so we should continue to run those type of plays. Canales called a great game tonight, just wish he could've given more touches to Jimmerson. Thompson struggles throwing the ball down field so our big plays will likely come from getting Chancellor in space and getting Jimmerson the ball. Dude breaks tackles and makes people miss so easily if we can keep blocking the way we have been he is a big play waiting to happen.

• Upvote 2

Definitely a 180 from last week. I think he'll continue to do well as long as the running game is #1 and he's limited to a short passing game. Not a knock on him, that's just who he is and it appears Chico has gameplanned for that.

A very solid performance. Thumbs up DT.

He's a special QB. Playing a little possum last week? :D

Don't know that I'd call him special, but capable I think more accurately describes DT. The intermediate and long passing game is just not good to put it lightly, so I think calling him special is a major stretch. As long as he plays within his game, which is short passes, he can be effective. His performance tonight definitely gives me a lot of hope going forward.

Two very costly bad plays (not throwing it away on third down and getting sackedd, pushing them out of FG range; the 3rd down throw in the 2nd half that was too high for Delgado that ended a drive in KSU territory).

Other than that, pretty solid overall.

I think he held on to the ball thinking he had a free play because of the face mask, but of course there was no flag thrown

• Upvote 2

Two very costly bad plays (not throwing it away on third down and getting sackedd, pushing them out of FG range; the 3rd down throw in the 2nd half that was too high for Delgado that ended a drive in KSU territory).

Other than that, pretty solid overall.

He deserves some slack for not throwing the ball out of bounds on the 3rd down sack that took us out of FG position.

Did you see that facemask? I'm sure within a span of 2 seconds, he was rattled, knew he was facemasked, incorrectly assumed the refs saw the facemask, and just tucked the ball and went down.

Brilliant game from DT.

Don't know that I'd call him special, but capable I think more accurately describes DT. The intermediate and long passing game is just not good to put it lightly, so I think calling him special is a major stretch. As long as he plays within his game, which is short passes, he can be effective. His performance tonight definitely gives me a lot of hope going forward.

Maybe I'm still enamored with that long ago AK State game, but I'm gonna stick with special. He's still basically only half way through his NT career, and he has a lot of skills; both tangible and intangible. I'm betting that his consistency continues from here on out now that we've gotten past the rough patch of our schedule. We shall see.

Maybe I'm still enamored with that long ago AK State game, but I'm gonna stick with special. He's still basically only half way through his NT career, and he has a lot of skills; both tangible and intangible. I'm betting that his consistency continues from here on out now that we've gotten past the rough patch of our schedule. We shall see.

I just hope the game plan going forward includes a few more passes down field.

This would help keep the defense honest and open things up for the offense.

I just hope the game plan going forward includes a few more passes down field.

This would help keep the defense honest and open things up for the offense.

Unfortunately Thompson has struggled mightily throwing the ball down field. There's a reason Thompson didn't get recruited by anyone else, besides the fact that he went to a small high school, and that is because his arm strength is pretty pedestrian for a D-1 qb. Canales is going to have to be creative to keep defenses honest.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hey man, we can have two different definitions of special. He did great tonight and that will likely be his job from here on out, completing the short and sometimes intermediate range passes. Canales knows DT is not a deep ball qb but he recognizes this and really called the right routes tonight.

Unfortunately Thompson has struggled mightily throwing the ball down field. There's a reason Thompson didn't get recruited by anyone else, besides the fact that he went to a small high school, and that is because his arm strength is pretty pedestrian for a D-1 qb. Canales is going to have to be creative to keep defenses honest.

Tony Romo didn't get recruited by "anyone else" either, and I guess we'll have to see about him too. Starting manana.

Tony Romo didn't get recruited by "anyone else" either, and I guess we'll have to see about him too. Starting manana.

There are always exceptions, but Tony didn't get recruited because of his height. He has a cannon and a quick release. DT has neither of those so I wouldn't expect to see him on Sundays anytime soon but that doesn't mean he can't be successful with us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hey man, we can have two different definitions of special. He did great tonight and that will likely be his job from here on out, completing the short and sometimes intermediate range passes. Canales knows DT is not a deep ball qb but he recognizes this and really called the right routes tonight.

You don't have to hit 60/70 yard fly patterns to be successful/special at this level.

Congrats to DT for putting last week behind him and stepping up to give his team a chance. Nice game tonight.

DT did a great job tonight....I wish we would have thrown the ball a little more tonight...DT has shown he doen't throw interceptions often and is pretty accurate on the short and intermediate plays. Overall, he makes good decisions. Way to go DT !!

There are always exceptions, but Tony didn't get recruited because of his height. He has a cannon and a quick release. DT has neither of those so I wouldn't expect to see him on Sundays anytime soon but that doesn't mean he can't be successful with us.

Height? DT has a solid D1 arm, and his release is anything but slow. As I said before, we shall see.

Height? DT has a solid D1 arm, and his release is anything but slow. As I said before, we shall see.

Height as in Tony Romo was not even 6' coming out of high school so he wasn't very developed and was not recruited. I'm gonna have agree to disagree about the arm strength and release. DT's arm comes down very low when he throws, which severely slows his release. I've never heard anyone say DT has a strong arm but that is an opinion.

I think that's awesome that you think so highly of OUR qb, I just don't. Like I said, I think he can be very effective like he was tonight and I'm going to continue to support him as long as he's wearing the Green and White.

• Downvote 2