UNT students were greatness tonite!

Harry

gallery_1_115_656499.jpg

This was one of THE MOST IMPRESSIVE student turnouts I can ever recall!

The beautiful thing was THEY HUNG AROUND after the second half.

Their energy was fantastic and I can't wait to post some of the photos I took. Made me very proud and VERY EXCITED for the future!

GMG!

This post has been promoted to an article

It was great to be in the student section tonight. Since I came from a small high school, seeing all those people was simply awesome.

The attitude among students is very good as far as I can tell. Expect similar turnouts for the other home games this season.

• Upvote 3

Hats off to the students. I hope it keeps up. The alumni side was decent as well. I think what' people are forgetting is the 3rd of the pie...Denton. It blows my mind the way this university is cast aside by the community it is in. Not saying that a lot of us aren't community members and arent heavily involved, but as a whole. There is a big gaping hole between this university and Denton, in all forms. If this community gave 1/3 of the support they gave to freaking fry street changes to the school things would be different. Denton is the most divided college town ive ever witnessed. Usually the school is the common bond. I could go on and on, but the main point is that when you're in Lubbock or college station, or even FW now, you know where you are and what the school is. The lack of pride and allegiance is disheartening to many. This is big picture, and a generalization so don't take it the wrong way. It's cool to bash UNT, especially their sports, even local officials have no problem tweeting negativity about unt sports. One problem that UNT has that lets say, tech didn't have when they were down, is that there is plenty to do in this area. People in surrounding areas of that school have nothing else. But win or lose, its an event. Tech used to black out games to force people to go. I keep using them because they grew a lot in the last decade, and faced a similar apathy.I think part of the problem at UNT is a result of failures past, but I' definitely do feel like we are possibly witnessing the beginning of a culture change. I could write 1,000 words about how playing games like tonight is beneficial to growing a fanbase, and maybe i will, but thats a different issue. RV and Mac deserve a lot of credit with the students. The people who run the city of Denton and a lot of residents only claim the university if it can somehow benefit let's say the growth of downtown. What they fail to realize is that the success of the program and UNT as whole is the best way that can be achieved. In Lubbock, (I know) the school and city development saw a huge increase that paralleled the success of the Leach years. Just something I witnessed, I'm sure there's a few holes in my thoughts, but there is something to it.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Hats off to the students. I hope it keeps up. The alumni side was decent as well. I think what' people are forgetting is the 3rd of the pie...Denton. It blows my mind the way this university is cast aside by the community it is in. Not saying that a lot of us aren't community members and arent heavily involved, but as a whole. There is a big gaping hole between this university and Denton, in all forms. If this community gave 1/3 of the support they gave to freaking fry street changes to the school things would be different. Denton is the most divided college town ive ever witnessed. Usually the school is the common bond. I could go on and on, but the main point is that when you're in Lubbock or college station, or even FW now, you know where you are and what the school is. The lack of pride and allegiance is disheartening to many. This is big picture, and a generalization so don't take it the wrong way. It's cool to bash UNT, especially their sports, even local officials have no problem tweeting negativity about unt sports. One problem that UNT has that lets say, tech didn't have when they were down, is that there is plenty to do in this area. People in surrounding areas of that school have nothing else. But win or lose, its an event. Tech used to black out games to force people to go. I keep using them because they grew a lot in the last decade, and faced a similar apathy.I think part of the problem at UNT is a result of failures past, but I' definitely do feel like we are possibly witnessing the beginning of a culture change. I could write 1,000 words about how playing games like tonight is beneficial to growing a fanbase, and maybe i will, but thats a different issue. RV and Mac deserve a lot of credit with the students. The people who run the city of Denton and a lot of residents only claim the university if it can somehow benefit let's say the growth of downtown. What they fail to realize is that the success of the program and UNT as whole is the best way that can be achieved. In Lubbock, (I know) the school and city development saw a huge increase that paralleled the success of the Leach years. Just something I witnessed, I'm sure there's a few holes in my thoughts, but there is something to it.

I've been around for awhile, and I'd have to say that tonight's game was one of the "greenest" that I've seen, so I think you might be right in your thoughts that maybe "the worm has turned" in regard to a culture change around campus. As far as the locals are concerned, I'm just thinking that some have long memories of conflicts with individuals and overall issues associated with NT, and that hopefully those things are on the verge of dying out.

Although I only lived in Denton while in school, I have older (mostly) relatives who have lived there for generations, and I've sensed a little of that animosity from them over the years toward the school. A couple of those relatives were heavily involved in city/county government, and I've seen their stance in regard to UNT become more positive in recent years.

I REALLY hope that the locals can get on board, because that could put us over the top as far attendance and other issues are concerned. Any of you old time locals who have any ideas on how to change the local culture are more than welcome to chime in. That change is more than past due, because Denton ain't no little country/college town no more.

• Upvote 4

Totally agree. I also meant to say that the wing zone was a reflection of Denton. Those are the cheap general admission seats, more likely to be occupied by Denton people as opposed to alumni coming in and students. I also want to point out that I am by no means knowledgeable of the history of the program or Denton outside of say maybe 2001 until now, as an observer, a student and an alumni. I have a lot of thoughts and opinions, hard to convey those correctly here. Hence the length of my rambling.

Edited by James329
  • Upvote 2

I sat there last night wondering what the attendance would be if we actually had a game in Denton that had relevance...such as a conference championship deciding game...I think that we might just fill Apogee up for such a contest. Seems that in past years there just hasn't been a big important game at home. Houston and Indiana were good draws because of name opponents.

• Upvote 2

Whether we're cast aside by the City of Denton or not it starts with our students/alumni/fans etc. I believe that we and other programs like ours are in a situation that our own people are our own biggest enemy. If we can't get our own people to have pride for the university and care about being involved and attending games then we can't really expect outsiders too. Let's start with our own and keep the arrow pointing up and before you know it selling out Apogee 6 times a year will be a reality. Oh and success on the field will be a must.

• Upvote 1

Totally agree. I also meant to say that the wing zone was a reflection of Denton. Those are the cheap general admission seats, more likely to be occupied by Denton people as opposed to alumni coming in and students. I also want to point out that I am by no means knowledgeable of the history of the program or Denton outside of say maybe 2001 until now, as an observer, a student and an alumni. I have a lot of thoughts and opinions, hard to convey those correctly here. Hence the length of my rambling.

The thing about Denton residents (in general) is they don't support anything. I have been to Guyer, Ryan, and DHS football games and the attendance was terrible. The makeup of Denton residents is unusual and they only seem out for themselves.

• Upvote 3

Attendance vs. Indiana: 21,181

Attendance vs. TSU: 22,259

This, this a hundred times this. People came to this game because it was the first game and we aren't already 0-3. Indiana game was lower in attendance because by that time it had already been decided that we weren't any good (0-3). Add in a 1K or so Indiana fans and it's a bigger disparity.

We have to win. Doesn't matter against who. Period.

And we have to get the students involved, which it's obvious from the turnout the AD is doing.

So, we have fixed the student thing, now fix the schedule.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops

Now that is fixed.

I think your point in fixing my point is that it's only recently been fixed, but fixed is fixed as long as we continue and build on it. I realize based on our past that would seem unlikely, but I think we're all growed up now.

I'd also say, I think the student turnout was better for this game than last year's opener against Houston.

• Upvote 1

I think your point in fixing my point is that it's only recently been fixed, but fixed is fixed as long as we continue and build on it. I realize based on our past that would seem unlikely, but I think we're all growed up now.

I'd also say, I think the student turnout was better for this game than last year's opener against Houston.

Great student turnout, no doubt, but I won't consider it all the way fixed until the entire student section is full.

The alumni problem is a LONG way from fixed.

• Upvote 3

Great student turnout, no doubt, but I won't consider it all the way fixed until the entire student section is full.

The alumni problem is a LONG way from fixed.

Fair enough on the students. On the alumnus, yeah well that will take longer since these last two freshmen classes that are being indoctrinated into school spirit have a while until they reach alum status ;)

The only think that will get the disconnected alums, which to me is no different than the random Dentonite with no connection to the university, to a game is big winning and/or opponent.

• Upvote 1

I was there last night (4th row instead of 1st because of some things beyond my control, and I was not happy about that lol), and it was wonderful in the student section, save for some idiots next to me (about a group of 15) who sat down for the first half of the 3rd quarter. It took a rude and obnoxious comment on my part to get them to realize there was a game going on, and a couple plays later there was a huge play and they were up again. Outside of that, absolutely wonderful atmosphere on the student side.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes! Great Student Turnout - as always!!!

I want the alums on this board to understand something...students arent the issue with attendance.

UNT Athletic Department & Student Government did a survey on collegiate athletic attendance my senior year in college. What they found was that we have more students attend games than at USC, Boise State, Texas, & other top programs. I was a UNT student from 2004-2008. From 2005-2008 our team wasn't very good, but students still showed up & attended these games at fouts.

It doesn't surprise me that more students are showing up. There is a lot of support & hype around what we have built here at UNT. The university has been on the rise for years. Denton has more on campus (near campus) living than almost all other Texas college towns. We are no longer a "commuter school." & numbers show this! We together have built a fun game day experience & we have a great student body that shows up/supports our school!

The problem with attendance stems from low community & alumni attendance!

If you are an alum you have a lot to be proud of. Hold your head high because if you run into someone that talks negatively about North Texas you should tell them they dont know what they are talking about. Because North Texas has arrived!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1