#27 Laramie Lee Was held on the 1st LSU TD

Harry

If you look at our first possession of the game it really speaks volumes. We start with a decent 3 yard gain up the middle from DirtyByrd. Then TE Andy Power - who looked like he was double teamed - drops a ball in his hands. Next Ivan DelGado drops a pass in his hands on the sideline. Next we have a penalty on the punt, Atterbury has a shank on the second and there's about a 30-yard gift of field position present we hand LSU. LSU's block in the back helps negate that. The big running play to LSU's Albert Blue sort of broke things wide open. LSU took UNT Nosetackle Tevin Cantly from the hole where Blue ran through all the way to the other side of the line. On the long Mettlenberg pass to Jarvis Landry...Sarge was a hair away from a sack. On the touchdown Tevin Cantly got owned by LSU's #74... #27 Lee tried to fill it but he got HELD by the WR who missed the crack back....the OFFICIAL is standing right there and almost reaches for his flag but remembers where his bread is buttered and doesn't call it. This is exactly why we shouldn't play these scripted win games. I hope that Mac and the staff send that one in because it was really bad.

I know what you're thinking, I need a life lol! GMG

Let me add to this LSU also owns the damn announcers....they completely missed the holding call amid their praise for LSU's complete domination of the line. Sarge and Cantly both got owned fair and square but Lee was clearly held.

Let me add to this LSU also owns the damn announcers....they completely missed the holding call amid their praise for LSU's complete domination of the line. Sarge and Cantly both got owned fair and square but Lee was clearly held.

It bugged me that we had the SEC logo at the strip at the bottom of the screen where I think the down and distance should have been. Wasted real estate.

• Upvote 3

Of course I want our D linemen to have a great year, and that may yet happen. I don't think we should be too harsh considering who we were playing, where, and that they were facing the offensive strength of LSU. Also, there were a lot of 3 and outs before our O started doing enough to give our D a breather.

Also, I expected to hear that we were rotating more on the D line, but it didn't seem like that was happening. I'm wondering whether that was intentional, as in "keep our starters in there", that LSU was coming to the LOS too quickly to substitute, or if the choice of players for the travel squad kept some (McDorman, etc.) at home who might have gotten some playing time.

I'm thinking we'll have a better picture of all this by game 3. The first two matchups seem like too much of a mismatch one way or the other. I really got tired of hearing about what kind of award whoever among the LSU linemen was up for.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1

This is exactly why we shouldn't play these scripted win games.

Yes, we need to stop playing body bag games and start playing real "opportunity" games where we have a legit chance of winning and consistently have 8-12 win seasons with bowl appearances.

Beating Indiana does way more for our program than being the team scrambling to chase LSU down the field on national highlights.

• Upvote 1

And there was the pass interference call against us when the DB (Whitfield??) legally hit the receiver, knocking him out of bounds within the 5 yards allowable and BEFORE the QB released the ball. The defense held and LSU had to kick a field goal, so that didnt really hurt us.

What did Hurt us was when we were down 20 in the 3rd or 4th and we run the same offensive play that Chancellor took to the house in the 2nd qtr. Chancellor is about to break open, with no one to stop him upfield again, when the LSU linebacker (or maybe safety) clearly hits him while the ball is in the air. I mean CLEARLY. No call, of course. Not saying this would have been a score, but it would have gone for at least 40 yards.

We still would have lost the game, but this is just the treatment you get when the refs know you are not supposed to win these games.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Also, I expected to hear that we were rotating more on the D line, but it didn't seem like that was happening. I'm wondering whether that was intentional, as in "keep our starters in there", that LSU was coming to the LOS too quickly to substitute, or if the choice of players for the travel squad kept some (McDorman, etc.) at home who might have gotten some playing time.

Counted 4 DTs playing last night; Cantly, Abbe, Lincoln and Orr, and 4 DEs: Mason, Bellazin, McCoy and Obi.

Edited by DT 90
  • Upvote 2

We had several first down passes dropped that hit people in the hands that a Marcus Camper, Johnny Quinn or Casey Fitzgerald catches to extend drives. Those plays have to be made in order to give us a chance.

When you play these type of games someone has to step up and go after the ball like their life depends on it. In too many critical situations, many that Harry has pointed out, we had 10 guys doing their job and one not.

I thought Thompson showed some really good poise at times holding the ball to give time for receiver separation and delivered the ball while taking a hit. The line, bless their hearts, played their asses off against a machine in order to give him that time only for the ball to bounce off someone's hands.

You can't have that.

Rick

• Upvote 3

Can we stop playing for checks, please?? how bout we schedule more Texas State and less SEC!!

I hate these games.

I'm completely fine with playing SEC teams but not the likes of LSU and Alabama that are in the national championship conversation virtually every year. I'll take a Miss St, Ole Miss, Vandy etc. I think we can compete with them much better.

Is anyone else curious about why we allowed SEC refs call this game? I could be wrong, but I thought it was typical to have another conference send in officials to call the game to avoid what we saw here.

They probably gave us a "bonus" on our check if we used SEC officials

But honestly, there is holding on every play. Its just whether of not they see it and/or want to call it.