No. 3 LSU past North Texas

Harry

BATON ROUGE, La. -- Kenny Hilliard and Alfred Blue rewarded Les Miles' decision to designate them as LSU's top two running backs in the season opener, and they more than compensated for any shortcomings associated with Zach Mettenberger's first start.

Hilliard rushed for 141 yards and two touchdowns, and No. 3 LSU opened its season with a 41-14 victory over North Texas on Saturday night.

While the heavily favored Tigers were never threatened, their performance did not always thrill a Death Valley crowd that eagerly awaited evidence that LSU's passing game would be much improved with Mettenberger under center.

Mettenberger, who was briefly sidelined by a vicious sack, was 19 of 26 for 192 yards, an interception and a touchdown. But LSU didn't really need to throw in a game decided by its overwhelming defense and a running game that accounted for 316 yards, including 123 by Blue.

Derek Thompson completed only 8 of 21 passes, but two passes were scoring strikes of 80 and 15 yards to Brelan Chancellor.

Odell Beckham Jr., taking over punt return duties after 2011 Heisman Trophy finalist Tyrann Mathieu was dismissed on Aug. 10, ran one back 70 yards for a score. He nearly had two returns for scores, but his 76-yard runback was negated by Jarvis Landry's illegal block.

Landry made up for it with eight catches for 82 yards, including two diving receptions, one of which he hauled in with one hand.

Read more: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=322450099

Here's my initial thoughts on LSU-- this was a pretty impressive performance for our boys -- I know the score is nothing to be proud of but frankly this is an embarrasing game for us to have to be playing in the first place. This is all about the athletic department and getting the bills played. Anyone who says this is about opportunity as a first game for a young team that was SADDLED with juco transfers who are no longer here due to Dodge is full of crap. So In closing -- I thank the players and the coaches for the effort. I don't like the play calling on offense but I understand why. This biggest thought that I have from this game is WHY ARE WE PLAYING IT ???? Why are we having to play a potential national championship team to start our season on the road? Why do we have to do this and only get five home games?? Why not be honest and say its because of revenue -- why not be honest and tell us its because we need the money and someday we will move away from it if x is accomplished...?

Sorry for the rant -- I'm proud of the team and the players - especially Hilbert Jackson who made a huge hit on the LSU QB and of course Brelan Chancellor who made us so proud by outrunning every player on the LSU squad (also great pass by our boy Thompson). I also saw some good things from Chad Polk at linebacker. I thought the special teams under Kent Riddle were disappointing but I also understand who they were playing and just hope they should try to regroup.

In closing - I'm sick and tired of playing these games against potential national champions to start the season...its very difficult for our players, coaches and fanbase. It hurts our morale and its frankly not necessary. GMG!

Here's my initial thoughts on LSU-- this was a pretty impressive performance for our boys -- I know the score is nothing to be proud of but frankly this is an embarrasing game for us to have to be playing in the first place. This is all about the athletic department and getting the bills played. Anyone who says this is about opportunity as a first game for a young team that was SADDLED with juco transfers who are no longer here due to Dodge is full of crap. So In closing -- I thank the players and the coaches for the effort. I don't like the play calling on offense but I understand why. This biggest thought that I have from this game is WHY ARE WE PLAYING IT ???? Why are we having to play a potential national championship team to start our season on the road? Why do we have to do this and only get five home games?? Why not be honest and say its because of revenue -- why not be honest and tell us its because we need the money and someday we will move away from it if x is accomplished...?

Sorry for the rant -- I'm proud of the team and the players - especially Hilbert Jackson who made a huge hit on the LSU QB

and of course Brelan Chancellor who made us so proud by outrunning every player on the LSU squad (also great pass by our boy Thompson). I also saw some good things from Chad Polk at linebacker. I thought the special teams under Kent Riddle were disappointing but I also understand who they were playing and just hope they should try to regroup.

In closing - I'm sick and tired of playing these games against potential national champions to start the season...its very difficult for our players, coaches and fanbase. It hurts our morale and its frankly not necessary. GMG!

What do you mean "why not be honest...". I don't think it's a big secret or anyone is hiding the fact that this is a money game. If it helps the athletic department and we come out unscathed and no worse for the experience, why not? Look at Savanna State. It happens all the time and it's no secret why.

• Upvote 1

What do you mean "why not be honest...". I don't think it's a big secret or anyone is hiding the fact that this is a money game. If it helps the athletic department and we come out unscathed and no worse for the experience, why not? Look at Savanna State. It happens all the time and it's no secret why.

I don't consider us Savannah State and frankly never will. We're much much better than that. So that comparison really doesn't compute for me bro.

My point is why do we have to do the BIG money games against an unbeatable opponent when we are asking our coach to rebuild a mess he inherited from Dodge...ULL didn't have to do it... No ACTUALLY I don't think we can risk this frankly - playing against one of the top 3 teams in the country doesn't help our home opening attendance in my opinion with just 5 games. And no --- it doesn't happen all the time and if it did it still wouldn't excuse it for me or this program. I never said it had to be a secret but WHY does it have to be that we play one of the VERY top teams in the country ON THE ROAD to open our season when other teams of lessor resources don't have to? TELL ME EXACTLY WHY????

I think that until UNT can fill it's stadium every game, all the time, these games are necessary. I wasn't saying UNT is like Savanna State (not even close) but why else would they put that game as their opener? It does happen all the time. I was with you that these games are difficult to understand In light of a 5 game home schedule, but we don't come close to filling half a stadium. And to say "let's be honest" and admit it's for the money, who ever said it wasn't about the money? Just sayin'...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think that until UNT can fill it's stadium every game, all the time, these games are necessary. I wasn't saying UNT is like Savanna State (not even close) but why else would they put that game as their opener? It does happen all the time. I was with you that these games are difficult to understand In light of a 5 game home schedule, but we don't come close to filling half a stadium. And to say "let's be honest" and admit it's for the money, who ever said it wasn't about the money? Just sayin'...

Hey man you are my friend...I'm not looking at you any other way -- but I tell you - as a fan of this program for many years I don't see the upside from these types of games. Man -- give me an Iowa State or heck give me a Northwestern or even Texas Tech... But to play an LSU --- who you KNOW is going to be a powerhouse..and you know the SEC refs give no mercy === and then tell your fanbase to build momentum and increase student attendance--- I'm sorry we're not there yet. I hope to god we will be someday... I hope someday we will be at the point of where LSU WONT schedule us because they are scared to death with us=== but I am realistic enough to know that isn't now or in the very near future.

I'm sick and tired of big money games ok? I don't like that schools like Ark. St and ULL can avoid this when we can't seem to.

That's all for this subject from this point on I'm all about beating TSU.

Well Arky State was getting lit up in Oregon tonight. I actually think at Toledo Arizona type matchup is perfect. Let's be the Toledo and take our chances. As for LSU I think our boys actually learned some things tonight about what they CAN do. They can play some tough D. Our running game can carve up a good D with some nuances and effort. We can win the rest of our games including the KSU and Arky State battle. They are going to have to bring that intensity to Apogee next weekend but the guys should consider themselves one of the echelon teams in the Belt. We need to bring it like it is LSU every weekend and we will win our share of games this year.

GMG

• Upvote 1

Harry, your 110% correct. It just hurts the program to have a big loss the first game of every year. I think these types of games kill our attendance. Half the students couldn't tell you what conference LSU is even in. They just know UNT lost 41-14 so we must stink. They aren't going to get fired up about it and it shows in attendance. Beat a bad team by a big score and they will get excited. We need 6 home games every year.

I thought we played pretty well & I think we could have a good season....with some luck even better than good.

• Upvote 2