UNT lost to LSU 41-14

emmitt01

K-State and Houston are winnable - but it will take a better offensive gameplam from Coach Chico.

We might have been using a very conservative game plan to try to limit the potential for turnovers. I think we might see the offense be more agressive next game.

• Upvote 4

Wow, people are proud of a loss :rolleyes1:

Don't try and spin this as a positive. We lost by 20 points, the game was never in danger of being lost so why are people acting like it was a good loss? There are no moral victories. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard, and ask for a competitive football team. There is plenty of praise to give to the D and their continual stops, they kept this game in reason. Our offense made us look pedestrian. Why is Canales so stubborn and continuously ran the ball? Both of our scores came off of passes, why not pass more? Our offense was stopped almost every time we tried to run. Lets be honest in that Thompson doesn't have the skill to carry this team, our offense needs to be more flexible, and our defense played with lots of heart.

I support the program fully, but I'm a realist and I laugh at people saying we are going 7-5 from a "good loss", teams ebb and flow and our next week's performance could be worse or it could be better. I will wait and see what they show ON THE FIELD, instead of making some outlandish claim with no basis.

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 15

I understand your concern... But coach Mac is definitely taking the same attitude as you fit now... He made that clear before the game that he will not be happy to be competitive...

We as fans can still feel good about what we saw on the field tonight though...

• Upvote 1

Don't try and spin this as a positive. We lost by 20 points, the game was never in danger of being lost so why are people acting like it was a good loss? There are no moral victories. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard, and ask for a competitive football team. There is plenty of praise to give to the D and their continual stops, they kept this game in reason. Our offense made us look pedestrian. Why is Canales so stubborn and continuously ran the ball? Both of our scores came off of passes, why not pass more? Our offense was stopped almost every time we tried to run. Lets be honest in that Thompson doesn't have the skill to carry this team, our offense needs to be more flexible, and our defense played with lots of heart.

I support the program fully, but I'm a realist and I laugh at people saying we are going 7-5 from a "good loss", teams ebb and flow and our next week's performance could be worse or it could be better. I will wait and see what they show ON THE FIELD, instead of making some outlandish claim with no basis.

I understand where you're coming from, but let's be honest here. NT was never going to win this game. The game plan was conservative to minimize the chance for turnovers and eat up clock. The run game was working after the 1st qtr. Stick with what works when you're playing the #3 team in the country. LSU shot themselves in the foot many times. That combined with our disciplined play worked out very well for us. You can't ask for more than what we saw tonight, IMO.

Have you watched the last 2 or 10 games we have played against teams comparable to this LSU team?!?

• Upvote 4

We might have been using a very conservative game plan to try to limit the potential for turnovers. I think we might see the offense be more agressive next game.

I think you are right on this one.

And for the above

Don't try and spin this as a positive? I think there were plenty of positives when we came into the game with so many unknowns.

The O-line did very well and played the whole game.....winning the sacks allowed contest. Usuallly these things get out of hand and everyone just wants it to be over. This one was different. Did you realize we were playin LSU? We gave there QB a hell of a time. When was the last time we did that with a ranked opponent? Did you see the Alabama Michagan score, 41-14, kinda familiar. When you look at the other sun belt schools scores after week one, Id say nobody looked dominant. FIU didn't put up much of a fight with Duke and Arkansas state has had 50 points hung on them at the half.

We're we flawless? No, but it could have been much worse. LSU is licking their wounds worried that voters are going to see how their QB was slobber knocked and they couldn't make a statement against north Texas like Alabama did against Michigan at a neutral site.

And I'm sure you base this upon your AT LEAST a decade of watching the Mean Green, right? Surely you have a sample size larger than that of my four year old to draw from...at least a little larger maybe.

• Upvote 2

I don't think anyone here is proud that we lost. We're proud of the way we played. Was it perfect? No. But no one gave up, everyone went 150%, and it was very clear that this UNT team is far, far better than we were week 1 last year.

While the only meaningful stats are wins and losses, they are still just statistics at the end of the day. They do not tell the full story, not even with a score. Yes, we lost big on paper. But, we didn't lose big on the field. We matched a top 3 team in intensity and heart, and we had them concerned heading into the half, and we then responded by playing even tougher in the 2nd half. Am I happy we lost by 27? Hell no. Am I happy and very excited because of how we looked on the field against the best there is in college football? Absolutely.

I'm beyond ecstatic for the rest of the season. Come out against Southern with the same intensity and we'll be up by 25 at the half.

Edited by UNTstormchaser
  • Upvote 6

I understand where you're coming from, but let's be honest here. NT was never going to win this game. The game plan was conservative to minimize the chance for turnovers and eat up clock. The run game was working after the 1st qtr. Stick with what works when you're playing the #3 team in the country. LSU shot themselves in the foot many times. That combined with our disciplined play worked out very well for us. You can't ask for more than what we saw tonight, IMO.

Thats the main complaint. LSU looked weak on offense sometimes. Our D did well and rattled their quarterback and got their rhythm off. We had chances on 3rd and 3s/2s. Our offense couldn't get it going and we looked bad. I understand the level of talent that LSU had but they showed a weakness to the passing game and we didn't exploit it. Our offense left a lot to be desired, I'm not expecting a win but I am expecting to see a disciplined offense that can block and make a pass/run.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And I'm sure you base this upon your AT LEAST a decade of watching the Mean Green, right? Surely you have a sample size larger than that of my four year old to draw from...at least a little larger maybe.

Have you watched the last 2 or 10 games we have played against teams comparable to this LSU team?!?

And what? Just because we played worse in the past we are expected to be happy about a lesser loss? That is a small team mentality. The record is still 0-1. A loss is a loss, and the record will read identical. Don't try and make it seem like it is any different.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Most of the other Belt teams looked really bad this weekend. We may have lost the game, but we showed we can probably compete for a title this season. We have not had a reason to feel that way in a long time. That is what we are happy about.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

This is one of the VERY few "body bag" games we looked like we belonged on the same field as our ranked opponent.

I'm guessing more than a few of the LSU players are licking their wounds and reciting that famous line from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid..."Who are those guys?"

Edited by oldschoollefty
  • Upvote 1

This is one of the VERY few "body bag" games we looked like we belonged on the same field as our ranked opponent.

I'm guessing more than a few of the LSU players are licking their wounds and reciting that famous line from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid..."Who are those guys?"

I agree. For a good part of the night we looked like we belonged out there. The Mean Green reminded me of the 300. I think I'll watch that movie tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

I think you are right on this one.

And for the above

Don't try and spin this as a positive? I think there were plenty of positives when we came into the game with so many unknowns.

The O-line did very well and played the whole game.....winning the sacks allowed contest. Usuallly these things get out of hand and everyone just wants it to be over. This one was different. Did you realize we were playin LSU? We gave there QB a hell of a time. When was the last time we did that with a ranked opponent? Did you see the Alabama Michagan score, 41-14, kinda familiar. When you look at the other sun belt schools scores after week one, Id say nobody looked dominant. FIU didn't put up much of a fight with Duke and Arkansas state has had 50 points hung on them at the half.

We're we flawless? No, but it could have been much worse. LSU is licking their wounds worried that voters are going to see how their QB was slobber knocked and they couldn't make a statement against north Texas like Alabama did against Michigan at a neutral site.

IMO the o-line gave little room and did not create spaces for the RBs to go through. Our running game was stomped. I think it's funny that people bring in other games to reference this one. There are too many variables to make a comparison between games, there is no transitive properties in sports. Every game is unique and its circumstances would play out different with any other team. There is no valid comparison, the only thing we can go off of is the facts in what happened in our game. Not some what if/could have/some other team scenario.

• Upvote 1

And what? Just because we played worse in the past we are expected to be happy about a lesser loss? That is a small team mentality. The record is still 0-1. A loss is a loss, and the record will read identical. Don't try and make it seem like it is any different.

As has been said, no one is happy that we lost. But to expect us to go from a 2-10 Sun Belt team to being an SEC-elite-caliber team in a couple of years might be a little unrealistic. So let's deal within the realm of reality. Reality is that we are nowhere near being an SEC-elite-caliber team, and we all knew that before the game was played. But after the first few drives, we saw pretty good coverage in the defensive backfield, we saw a solid performance by the O-line against probably the best D-line in the nation, and we saw some potential in the RBs we knew virtually nothing about. We played much closer in this game than we did in the Bama game last year. Improvement is good, is it not? Indications that we could potentially win every game remaining on our schedule (other than perhaps K-State) are good, are they not?

• Upvote 3

Most of the other Belt teams looked really bad this weekend. We may have lost the game, but we showed we can probably compete for a title this season. We have not had a reason to feel that way in a long time. That is what we are happy about.

Based on what? That we played a top team better than we usually do? That other teams in the SBC didn't do so well this day? You know what other Belt teams are saying? "Well that was just the first game, we will do better in the Belt."

We can only base what we saw off of the team we played today. Like I said, there is no transitive property in sports. Meaning just because A team beats B team and C team, and B team beats C team, does not mean that A team will beat C team.

Sorry to be a realist, but show me on the field and I will believe it.

Edited by Green Otaku

Leaving Baton Rouge now and listening to Tiger fans tell us we played a good game is refreshing. Plus I saw it with my own eyes. After the guys settled into the game they played their hearts out. We took our D to the number 3 team in the nation and walked out with our heads high. That is awesome. Further, as a 26 year follower of the Mean Green it has been awhile since I felt good about a game of this magnitude. I refuse to call it a body bag game because Coach does not tell the guys they are playing a body bag game and they don't think it.

After tonight I think we beat TSU, Troy, Houston, South Alabama, Lafayette, Florida Atlantic, Western Kentucky, ULM. I think Middle is a trap game and I think Arky State and KSU will be tough.

This is going to be a fun year ladies and gentlemen.

GMG

• Upvote 3

Leaving Baton Rouge now and listening to Tiger fans tell us we played a good game is refreshing. Plus I saw it with my own eyes. After the guys settled into the game they played their hearts out. We took our D to the number 3 team in the nation and walked out with our heads high. That is awesome. Further, as a 26 year follower of the Mean Green it has been awhile since I felt good about a game of this magnitude. I refuse to call it a body bag game because Coach does not tell the guys they are playing a body bag game and they don't think it.

After tonight I think we beat TSU, Troy, Houston, South Alabama, Lafayette, Florida Atlantic, Western Kentucky, ULM. I think Middle is a trap game and I think Arky State and KSU will be tough.

GMG

Very encouraging!

As has been said, no one is happy that we lost. But to expect us to go from a 2-10 Sun Belt team to being an SEC-elite-caliber team in a couple of years might be a little unrealistic. So let's deal within the realm of reality. Reality is that we are nowhere near being an SEC-elite-caliber team, and we all knew that before the game was played. But after the first few drives, we saw pretty good coverage in the defensive backfield, we saw a solid performance by the O-line against probably the best D-line in the nation, and we saw some potential in the RBs we knew virtually nothing about. We played much closer in this game than we did in the Bama game last year. Improvement is good, is it not? Indications that we could potentially win every game remaining on our schedule (other than perhaps K-State) are good, are they not?

I agree whole heartedly, and you see what I did. We have this image that they are supermen, and unbeatable. But at times LSU looked normal and our guys hung in there with them. I'm not talking about big plays and destroying them. I'm talking about the team being able to make simple blocks and passes. Thompson looked rough out there most of the time, he doesn't have the skill/confidence to carry this team. Sorry, but he doesn't from what he has shown.

GMG

Sorry....I'm a nerd

The three guys in front of me were diehard LSU fans but lived in Denton ironically. They follow UNT closely as the dad was a grad but they travel down for all Tiger games. They were obviously shaken by the fact that LSU with their stellar QB was not able to blow up our defense. Our guys confidence built during the game and though they gave up the late TD I can't help but think that the number 8 team in the country was playing number 2 and had the same game we did - all the way down to the late turnover with one minute to go in the game - weird. Now we are not Michigan or in the top 10, but we played a hard fought game from beginning to end and unlike other games we were not only playing better because the other team let off the gas. The Mean Green was playing better because they rose up and got pissed. They made a couple of plays and gave it their all. We will not enter Manhattan thinking we can't win that game. Getting it will not be easy but watch out purple people because the Green are coming to town in a less than two weeks. Meanwhile, it is time to punish TSU this weekend. Tailgate on the Hill pre and post game - it's on MG Nation!

GMG

• Upvote 3