Why has it been so hard to put a winner together?

UNT96

So why has NT had so much trouble putting a winner on the court? In reality, you need about 8 good players with 2 "stars" in order to suceed in the Belt. The Belt is not some power conference, our champ has been knocked out of the first round (fairly easily) for our stay in the league. So why can't we put a winner on the court. Before the Belt we were in an even less powerful league, the Big West, ranked about 10 spots below the Belt yet we couldn't win there either. Before that it was the Southland and we had a few years of moderate success there.

So what is the reason? Is it because basketball takes a back seat to football? Is it because of the coaching? We always complain about how we cannot recruit football because of facilities; but the Super Pit is just as good (if not better) than any arena in the state.

Ok so that asks "why".. Now I would like to know "how"... What will it take to turn it around? I think we have every facet in place other than players. Do you think we can win with these players?

I think it's a mixture of reasons. Ever since we jumped from the Southland we have had a rough go. I *still* think it was a mistake to let Jankovich go back in '97. While I don't think he was the end all or anything...Trilli really destoryed the program.

JJ has definitely gotten the team to play harder...plus work on teamwork more. I think now we just need to get some horses in. While out players haven't been bad by any means, I don't think we've ever had the talent AND teamwork to be near the top of the Sunbelt or Big West. We might have good facilities, but it's still hard to recruit against schools is more prestigious conferences.

Steve, you have asked a great question. I agree with some about expectations-they just aren't there like they are for football. I do believe BB will be a major focus after FB proves not to be a "flash in the pan." I think that once the fan base believes that our FB program is truly "fixed", that intolerance for unsuccessful BB will increase. Fortunatley for JJ, our new found success in FB is taking a little bit of the heat off of him and the BB program in general. This is giving RV an opportunity to have the luxury of allowing JJ the time to build the BB program like DD did with the FB program.

I think we need to see steady improvement starting this year. Year one under JJ was a fluke and last year was just plain unlucky with injuries. His recruits need to start to show something. Some kind of depth needs to start emerging. If this does not happen THIS YEAR, I think we start to see the heat getting turned up big time by the fans.

SAPPY, you may be right about Texas being a football state, but there is alot of BBall talent in the metroplex and state that should be coming to UNT. We have the best facilities of any university in the metroplex, so that shouldn't be a factor. I just believe we need to let JJ build the program, but we should also expect more talented players giving us consideration.

Blakely had talented exciting teams in the 70's, so it can be done.

SAPPY, you may be right about Texas being a football state, but there is alot of BBall talent in the metroplex and state that should be coming to UNT.  We have the best facilities of any university in the metroplex, so that shouldn't be a factor.  I just believe we need to let JJ build the program, but we should also expect more talented players giving us consideration.

Blakely had talented exciting teams in the 70's, so it can be done.

I agree there is a huge amount of basketball talent in Texas. It just takes a while to get interest after generations of football-only consciousness. Think back to the SWC days. I think your coach is a good one, and the team will be greatly improved this next season. Every SBC team faces your attendance problem except possibly WKU and NMSU.

JJ can do it the same way the FB team has done it...give him time. Let's not just yank the rug out from underneath him because of a poor start. I really think he will have them playing well in a couple of seasons. He has a plan a focus, and the will to get it done.

I agree. The team was pretty good his first year, and if injuries hadn't hurt them so much this last season, they would have been significantly better.