School Spirit compared to 14 years ago. Thanks Rick V!

ADLER

I saw this picture posted in the Gallery Images at the top of the Forum section. It is listed as a crowd shot from a North Texas football game in 1998. What's amazing is how little green North Texas gear is worn by fans as compared to recent seasons. School spirit just wasn't what it is today as the few North Texas shirts visible are being worn by the soccer team. Thank You to Rick Villarreal and your staff.

ps - I was on the other side of the stadium, and wearing green of course, but that won't stop that OSFA blond in light purple from spending cyber-eternity searching this crowd for me.

gallery_1_23_322427.jpg

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 4

If that is a crowd shot from 1998 then I'm impressed. First, we didn't wear green in that era. We wore white. All of the shirts given by the Mean Green Club were white. Second, we just three years removed from 12 years of purgatory in 1-AA where we had lost 90% of our fan base. Third, the three years prior in 1-A produced a whopping 11-22 record. Fourth, everyone complained about how the Big West was such a terrible conference with no one near us. And, fifth, we were still in Fouts.

The most important fact was that the attendance looked pretty good. I'd much rather have fans who are not in the proper attire but who still choose to attend over a handfull of green-clad supporters. Of course, I'd much rather have those attending be in green but given the choice of 31,000 watching the Mean Green in anything other than other school's jerseys vs. 20,000 in school colors I'll take the full stadium every time. I believe that we're building it's just that it isn't moving fast enough.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1