No skybridge for TSU

emmitt01

Where did you get this information? It's not the full story I have heard...but you may have a much better source much closer to the situation. Hopefully, it's not from "you know where". So, from your source this is 100% the "fault" of UNT? There is no construction hold up anywhere out of UNT's control or any TX DOT involvement in the "sidewalks and compliance with ADA"? I'm just asking as I have been told otherwise.

The fact that the bridge will not be open for the first game has an impact in several areas...none of which anyone associated with UNT, the Athletic dept. or anywhere else is going to be happy with...but, as tough as this is, life will go on and games will be played and the bridge will finally be opened to great fanfare...I hope!

TxDOT put the main structure in place at the end of July, when Interstate 35E was shut down overnight. There is still welding to be completed, and the construction crew has to finish up the railings.

“There’s a lot of concrete work,” Releford said.

Before the bridge can officially open, UNT has to install the connecting sidewalks.

“The paving needs to be ready before we open the bridge at all,” Bailey said.

Construction on the $2.5 million project began in February. UNT paid $1 million of that, as well as donating the right of way to the land on either side of the interstate. The rest of the project was paid for by regional toll revenue.

The sidewalks that will be added will be paid for by the university, Bailey said.

The sidewalks will be handicapped-accessible and will include lighting.

Just guessing. But it can't open until it is 100% ADA compliant. I was just reading between the lines. The sidewalks could have been worked on long before the bridge went up.

If DT 90's 70 year old grandmother with a hip replacement can walk from Fouts parking lot for EVERY home game last season, there is absolutely no excuse for others not to make the same walk.

No excuses. Get your rears to the games.

hang on a second here...... If DT 90's grandmother is 70 does that mean DT 90 is in his early 20s?

Just guessing. But it can't open until it is 100% ADA compliant. I was just reading between the lines. The sidewalks could have been worked on long before the bridge went up.

I'm just guessing that you were actually reading between someone else's lines who read between the lines........LOL! :goodjob::jig: Just having a little fun with ya!

The main disappointment for me is that there will not be all that foot traffic going by the Alumni pavilion on opening day. I was looking forward to manning a table where the bridge connects behind the Alumni Pavilion.

The biggest issue for me is reasonable access (DT90, notice I didn't say easy) to the Alumni Pavillion. Because unless you are parking right by the Pavilion (and that takes a lot of points to do that) then the journey over from the Blue/Red lot is........very challenging. In fact, it accurately reflects an old saying in my family when someone asks for directions to a difficult location. We always say "well, you can't get there from here".

And for me, that is another important issue that needs to be resolved.

• Upvote 1

The main disappointment for me is that there will not be all that foot traffic going by the Alumni pavilion on opening day. I was looking forward to manning a table where the bridge connects behind the Alumni Pavilion.

The biggest issue for me is reasonable access (DT90, notice I didn't say easy) to the Alumni Pavillion. Because unless you are parking right by the Pavilion (and that takes a lot of points to do that) then the journey over from the Blue/Red lot is........very challenging. In fact, it accurately reflects an old saying in my family when someone asks for directions to a difficult location. We always say "well, you can't get there from here".

And for me, that is another important issue that needs to be resolved.

People will always find the time and find the way to do the things they really wish to do. Always.

Edited by adman
  • Upvote 3

If DT 90's 70 year old grandmother with a hip replacement can walk from Fouts parking lot for EVERY home game last season, there is absolutely no excuse for others not to make the same walk.

I believe i sat next to her for the Opening Game of Apogee vs Hoston. Very nice lady who loved to talk about her grandson!

The bottom line is if getting people into the stadium meant something,someone would of ramroded this project from day one. My question is (again) who dropped the ball. It looks like even the athletic dept doesn't care about this game.

As a guy that is currently dealing with ADA sidewalk issues (not in Denton) I can tell you this: It is a crippling kick in the nuts. We've had an engineer draw up plans three times, built forms, twisted wire and were ready to pour. Each time the ADA guy has come out and said - Nope. Redo. (All of this due to the grade of a street the city built which we cannot alter. A longer story but that is the gist.)

Believe me there is no ramrodding when it comes to ADA. The government will make you try six ways to Sunday and then and only then you either succeed, get a variance, or go bankrupt.

• Upvote 1

As a guy that is currently dealing with ADA sidewalk issues (not in Denton) I can tell you this: It is a crippling kick in the nuts. We've had an engineer draw up plans three times, built forms, twisted wire and were ready to pour. Each time the ADA guy has come out and said - Nope. Redo. (All of this due to the grade of a street the city built which we cannot alter. A longer story but that is the gist.)

Believe me there is no ramrodding when it comes to ADA. The government will make you try six ways to Sunday and then and only then you either succeed, get a variance, or go bankrupt.

I can believe it, after hearing the speech by Rep. Mike Kelly of Pennsyvania on the floor of the House of Representatives.

We renovated a ballpark in my hometown. A guy named Tom Bernadowski -- veteran -- [spent a] couple million dollars to renovate our ballpark. The day we were gonna open up, I got a call at the dealership. It said, "Mike, would you come down?" I said, "Why? What's going on?" He said, "We're having trouble with the occupancy permit." So I went down to see it. I said, "What's the problem?" He said, "Well, here. Come in the men's room. Let me show you what the problem is." I said, "We have 1,500 people want to come see the opening ball game tonight." "Yep, but we've got a major problem. You see the mirrors in the restroom are a quarter of an inch too low."
  • Upvote 1

As a person who has a bizarre and inexplicable fascination with bridges, I'm just hoping this thing gets finished so you old coots can move on and find something new to bitch and moan about and stop dragging my beloved expanse-passes down into your pessimism pit.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

We really need that done for the tv cameras to zoom out and show how majestic that place and its surroundings are. That would look so big time if the fly-over cam shows hundreds of people crossing it.

• Upvote 1

+1; I can understand that kind of talk, and see where your son gets some of his toughness. And I hope Ryan gets back into action soon (but not before he's physically recovered).