Chick-fil-A fights likely on local college campuses

As I've said, the issue here isn't freedom of speech or expression. It's UNT profiting off of a company that donates to discriminatory organizations.

Yes, and we need to get rid of those pesky students who believe in God, also. They may even have beliefes that gay marriage is wrong and support organizations that believe the same way! They don't think like us, so let's bar them from having a voice, right?

Think like me, or else, right?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

The NATIONAL DEBT:

Maybe you should try the US treasury site... more reliable than Wikipedia and an odd Wikipedia site at that.

http://www.treasuryd...bt/histdebt.htm ( note .gov not .com )

1940 -- 49 Billion -- pre WWII

1950 -- 257 billion -- post WWII

1960 -- 286 billion

1970 -- 370 billion (Viet Nam not over)

1980 -- 907 Billion ( pre-Reagan --- Nixon, Ford Carter) ... high inflation due to OPEC had occured -- oil and most things had tripled in price.)

1990 --3,322, Billion (post- Reagan)

2000 -- 5,674 Billion [ Bush I and Clinton ] -- Bush I tried to control it after Reagan years and did improve it a lot but voted out, "read my lips", surplus by 2000 ]

2010 -- 13,561 Billion aka 13.5 trillion --- because of Iraq, tax cuts etc.. ( Obama took office in 2009, tax cuts still in place, even now )

.... quote reliable sourses. ... not surprised you ignored this one....

Most GOP financial liberals would like to. (religious conservatives don't care, just believe as they do...especially on birth issues, well maybe not as far as Akin..

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

From your earlier post:

and their "employees" have the exact same set of opinions that they do, otherwise they would not work for/volunteer for them,

I will accept this quote, as I definitely DID say it, though you completely fail at reading comprehension still. I was referring to the organizations that CFA donates to that are discriminating, not CFA. No one works for or volunteers for a charitable organization if they aren't passionate about what the organization stands for, so my point is valid, and you don't know how to read in context.

If that's possible, then you must have been born in Bethlehem, and I ain't talking Pennsylvania. Oops! I guess I'm not being PC by injecting Christianity into the equation.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here. Sorry my views don't fall in line with yours.

Yes, and we need to get rid of those pesky students who believe in God, also. They may even have beliefes that gay marriage is wrong and support organizations that believe the same way! They don't think like us, so let's bar them from having a voice, right?

Think like me, or else, right?

Because that's even remotely what I am saying, right???

Seriously, what part about live and let live do you not get? Let the gays get married, because it doesn't effect you at all. I let you believe what you want, you let me believe what I want. Why is that so impossible for you to comprehend????

I am honestly baffled. How the F can you not comprehend that?????????? Anyone doing something that disagrees with your views does not equate to them stepping on your rights, nor impeding your ability to believe what you want. Get that through your head.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I will accept this quote, as I definitely DID say it, though you completely fail at reading comprehension still. I was referring to the organizations that CFA donates to that are discriminating, not CFA. No one works for or volunteers for a charitable organization if they aren't passionate about what the organization stands for, so my point is valid, and you don't know how to read in context.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here. Sorry my views don't fall in line with yours.

Seriously, what part about live and let live do you not get? Let the gays get married, because it doesn't effect you at all. I let you believe what you want, you let me believe what I want. Why is that so impossible for you to comprehend????

I am honestly baffled. How the F can you not comprehend that?????????? Anyone doing something that disagrees with your views does not equate to them stepping on your rights, nor impeding your ability to believe what you want. Get that through your head.

"But, I'm 100% fair with my judgments, I assure you."

Simply trying to say that no one is 100% fair with their judgments. That's part of being a human being.

I'm not going to go heavily into this, but you keep posting that the legality of gay marriage would have no impact on those who oppose it. Well, I don't think that most opponents would agree with you on that for a variety of reasons.

Btw, I'm not a gay basher, and I have no problem at all with civil unions.

• Upvote 1

You are a tool.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

My question is, how will gays getting married ACTUALLY have an impact on christians that believe gays should not be married. I don't get this at all. In no way will it impact your belief system (you can still believe it's wrong if that's what you believe), it won't change the way you worship or anything. Your church would not be forced to marry gays if it does not want to. And lets not act like the institution of marriage is so sacred anymore, half the marriages in this country end in divorce.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

My question is, how will gays getting married ACTUALLY have an impact on christians that believe gays should not be married. I don't get this at all. In no way will it impact your belief system (you can still believe it's wrong if that's what you believe), it won't change the way you worship or anything. Your church would not be forced to marry gays if it does not want to. And lets not act like the institution of marriage is so sacred anymore, half the marriages in this country end in divorce.

Finally, a voice of reason. Thank you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"But, I'm 100% fair with my judgments, I assure you."

Simply trying to say that no one is 100% fair with their judgments. That's part of being a human being.

I'm not going to go heavily into this, but you keep posting that the legality of gay marriage would have no impact on those who oppose it. Well, I don't think that most opponents would agree with you on that for a variety of reasons.

Btw, I'm not a gay basher, and I have no problem at all with civil unions.

Fair enough. Obviously I'm over exaggerating when I say 100%. No one is 100% anything.

But, I'll play ball sir. How would the legality of gay marriage impact on anyone who opposes it? Other than someone's bisexual lover leaving them to homosexually marry someone else, I don't see how it could. Sure, it will piss them off and just give them more fuel to be mad at, but so does everything else.

You are a tool.

And we've hit the point in the conversation where 40+ year old VP of Assistant Banking Operations to the Assistant President of the Vice CEO GreenMachine resorts to name calling because he's run out of intelligent arguments to make and subconsciously realizes that his insecure and naive views of the world, and how it revolves around his uneducated opinions, are perhaps incorrect because someone else injected logic and reasoning into his life.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fair enough. Obviously I'm over exaggerating when I say 100%. No one is 100% anything.

But, I'll play ball sir. How would the legality of gay marriage impact on anyone who opposes it? Other than someone's bisexual lover leaving them to homosexually marry someone else, I don't see how it could. Sure, it will piss them off and just give them more fuel to be mad at, but so does everything else.

And we've hit the point in the conversation where 40+ year old VP of Assistant Banking Operations to the Assistant President of the Vice CEO GreenMachine resorts to name calling because he's run out of intelligent arguments to make and subconsciously realizes that his insecure and naive views of the world, and how it revolves around his uneducated opinions, are perhaps incorrect because someone else injected logic and reasoning into his life.

Read your last post and you will see why you are a tool. You are the most intolerable loud mouth that has come on this board in a long time and as smart as you might think you are, you will never make it in the real world, never.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

I don't think the anti-gay marriage crowd is the exclusive domain of Christians, since it pretty much cuts across all groups and religions. As far as the impact on non-gays is concerned, the internet is full of reasons both pro and con, so it's pretty much up to the individual to decide for themselves who has the superior argument. Thus the controversy.

• Upvote 1

Read your last post and you will see why you are a tool. You are the most intolerable loud mouth that has come on this board in a long time and as smart as you might think you are, you will never make it in the real world, never.

Because asking tolerance from those who do not give it is intolerance now, right? I don't know how many times I have to tell you that I am as tolerant as they come. One of my best friends is a very Christian libertarian who is morally opposed to gay marriage. But, he lets others live their lives the way they want, and we have had some amazing intellectual discussions and debates with each other, despite our polar opposite views when it comes to religion, politics, and some social issues.

To see someone who is intolerant, all you have to do is look in the mirror. The argument on this thread started when people got angry with me for showing an alternative view and a logical reason to why there COULD (not WILL) be a problem, and after I fully explained how I could give a damn what happens. I didn't start the battle, all I did was make a logical post of why there could be an issue, and I've gotten attacked by multiple people for it.

I'm not the one who thinks it's okay for a company to donate to organizations who want to legalize discrimination of homosexuals, take away civil unions, etc., that would be you. While I don't agree with your view, you are free to have it and express it. I tolerate you. You do not tolerate me or anyone who thinks something different than what you do.

Remember: intolerating intolerance =/= being intolerant of someone's views. Intolerating intolerance = doing the right thing.

Also, I'd like to point out that there is a real world outside of your office, sir. When I'm being funded by a university to research meteorological matters and am being paid to do so, as well as teaching younger people than me about the joys of my passion, I'll be living my real life. You can stick to your prudish views and your office building while I enjoy my life and let others do as they please.

Edited by UNTstormchaser

I don't think the anti-gay marriage crowd is the exclusive domain of Christians, since it pretty much cuts across all groups and religions. As far as the impact on non-gays is concerned, the internet is full of reasons both pro and con, so it's pretty much up to the individual to decide for themselves who has the superior argument. Thus the controversy.

There is zero negative impact on any heterosexual if gays are allowed to marry. Zero. Unless you count them getting their panties in a bunch being a negative impact.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There is zero negative impact on any heterosexual if gays are allowed to marry. Zero. Unless you count them getting their panties in a bunch being a negative impact.

Well, there's certainly no doubt that you seem to think that you know it all. Hmmm...are you a documented 20 year old genius with clairvoyant tendencies, or do you have some kind of a vested interest in this issue? Personally, I'm not really into this gay vs. heterosexual game, but you just seem to have a way of dragging people into the fray. Oh well, to each his own. I'm kind of more into things like MEAN GREEN SPORTS. Especially this time of year.

• Upvote 2

"But, I'm 100% fair with my judgments, I assure you." - Quote Stormchaser

Oh, the folly of youth! Give him some slack folks...he's a young college kid and we have mostly all been there. Time, experience and having those everyday responsibilities have a way of giving one a bit of experience. If his posts were not all "great American novel" in length I would read all of them...they are interesting...if nothing else...and I grin remembering back on some of the things I said during my undergrad days at UNT. It's all good. I just hope he keeps some of his posts to read back when he is in his late 30'sand early 40's. Or even older...like me, I am sure he will wonder...What? I wrote that? Seriously?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Any chance that after a night of drinking in a Courtyard by Marriott bar following a leadership conference you attended as you slaved your way up the corporate ladder that you brought back that slightly chunky girl in the Lane Bryant pant-suit drinking martinis and fathered an illegitimate son?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

This pissing match over who is the most tolerant reminds me of people who are arrogant about their humility...by the way, I'm way more tolerant than all you fools. :thumbsu:

The pissing match is over who is intolerant, not over who is more tolerant.

Your inability to get this right makes you the most intolerant of any of us.

I'll challenge any of you to a pissing contest. I've been developing this aim since my momma put cherios in the toilet when I was a lil'un.

Now...that's what I'm talking about!!!!!! :goodjob::thumbsu:

Any chance that after a night of drinking in a Courtyard by Marriott bar following a leadership conference you attended as you slaved your way up the corporate ladder that you brought back that slightly chunky girl in the Lane Bryant pant-suit drinking martinis and fathered an illegitimate son?

Certainly possible. Go get me another cup of coffe and please shut the door on your way out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe you should try the US treasury site... more reliable than Wikipedia and an odd Wikipedia site at that.

I used the Wikipedia data because it was straightforward, easy to understand and, at least in this case, accurate. Regardless, I am glad to see you reference data from a reliable source. My issue with your data is that it is irrelevant in the evaluation of the burden of debt across time periods (i.e. different administrations) because it excludes the impact of two critical variables...size of the economy and inflation. To account for both variables you need to adjust the metric to debt/GDP, which is what the graphs I referenced represent. The national debt after World War II may have been only $257B, but that amount represented 80% of GDP at the time. Alternatively, the debt at the end of 2011 was $14.8T, which represented 68% of GDP...a significant, but lower burden. The link I provided to the White House OMB data provides a yearly breakdown.

.... quote reliable sourses. ... not surprised you ignored this one....

The data I posted is accurate, regardless of the site it came from.

Well, there's certainly no doubt that you seem to think that you know it all. Hmmm...are you a documented 20 year old genius with clairvoyant tendencies, or do you have some kind of a vested interest in this issue? Personally, I'm not really into this gay vs. heterosexual game, but you just seem to have a way of dragging people into the fray. Oh well, to each his own. I'm kind of more into things like MEAN GREEN SPORTS. Especially this time of year.

Well, though I am only 19, I might night be as naive as you might think. The average person my age knows little to nothing about life and it's ups and downs. While I may not exactly have had a rough and terrible upbringing, I've had enough experiences, both positive and negative, and been intelligent enough to understand what each experience meant and what it actually was, to be a lot more intellectually competent than your average 19 year old college student.

I do have a slight vested interest in the subject, I'll readily admit that. I'm not gay, but my uncle is. He isn't in a committed relationship at the moment, but if he ever does find someone whom he wants to spend his life with, he should get the same privileges that a heterosexual couple gets.

My biggest reason for passion about the subject is that I understand what gays go through. I've been in plenty of situations where I'm the different one, where I'm the one who is put down, where I am the one who gets shafted of his fair chance, and I have absolutely no tolerance towards anyone who tries to do that to anyone else. And in this present day, gays are the most publicly persecuted and ridiculed in the US, so that's where I focus a lot of my attention and passion to. In the future, if the focus turns off of them and changes to men over 6'5", and a large group of people use some random personal view like religion or a small sample size of experience to discriminate against men over 6'5", I'll stand up and fight with that group. It's about equal rights and the ability to live a life the way one pleases, so long as it doesn't harm others. No, I may not know anything, but there literally isn't any negative impact that allowing homosexual marriage to occur causes to a random heterosexual person. There is no negative financial impact, there is no impediment on their ability to follow a religion, nor is there any impediment in one's ability to follow the American dream of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", so where is there a negative impact? If there is a legitimate one you can show me, I'll gladly eat my words and retract my statement, and even apologize.

"But, I'm 100% fair with my judgments, I assure you." - Quote Stormchaser

Oh, the folly of youth! Give him some slack folks...he's a young college kid and we have mostly all been there. Time, experience and having those everyday responsibilities have a way of giving one a bit of experience. If his posts were not all "great American novel" in length I would read all of them...they are interesting...if nothing else...and I grin remembering back on some of the things I said during my undergrad days at UNT. It's all good. I just hope he keeps some of his posts to read back when he is in his late 30'sand early 40's. Or even older...like me, I am sure he will wonder...What? I wrote that? Seriously?

While about some subjects I'd completely agree with you about that, if I ever change my views about how everyone should be treated equally so long as they aren't hurting others, I want someone to kill me right then, for I will have lost the most important view an intelligent person can have.

Edited by UNTstormchaser
  • Upvote 1

Well, though I am only 19, I might night be as naive as you might think. The average person my age knows little to nothing about life and it's ups and downs. While I may not exactly have had a rough and terrible upbringing, I've had enough experiences, both positive and negative, and been intelligent enough to understand what each experience meant and what it actually was, to be a lot more intellectually competent than your average 19 year old college student.

I do have a slight vested interest in the subject, I'll readily admit that. I'm not gay, but my uncle is. He isn't in a committed relationship at the moment, but if he ever does find someone whom he wants to spend his life with, he should get the same privileges that a heterosexual couple gets.

My biggest reason for passion about the subject is that I understand what gays go through. I've been in plenty of situations where I'm the different one, where I'm the one who is put down, where I am the one who gets shafted of his fair chance, and I have absolutely no tolerance towards anyone who tries to do that to anyone else. And in this present day, gays are the most publicly persecuted and ridiculed in the US, so that's where I focus a lot of my attention and passion to. In the future, if the focus turns off of them and changes to men over 6'5", and a large group of people use some random personal view like religion or a small sample size of experience to discriminate against men over 6'5", I'll stand up and fight with that group. It's about equal rights and the ability to live a life the way one pleases, so long as it doesn't harm others. No, I may not know anything, but there literally isn't any negative impact that allowing homosexual marriage to occur causes to a random heterosexual person. There is no negative financial impact, there is no impediment on their ability to follow a religion, nor is there any impediment in one's ability to follow the American dream of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", so where is there a negative impact? If there is a legitimate one you can show me, I'll gladly eat my words and retract my statement, and even apologize.

While about some subjects I'd completely agree with you about that, if I ever change my views about how everyone should be treated equally so long as they aren't hurting others, I want someone to kill me right then, for I will have lost the most important view an intelligent person can have.

It's not your views...it's the fact you are so so sure you are 100% fair in all things....trust me...you will definitely change some of your views on a variety of subjects as you gain experiences...while you claim to be "very experienced" at 19 years old...fact is...you aren't! It's no crime...your 19...enjoy being 19...enjoy every age...as you age you'll understand full well what I am talking about...I've been there done that as have most who are anywhere near my age. Not a put down...just a fact...I didn't believe it either at 19 years old...do now! Enjoy the naivety of youth...it won't last forever, but it sure is fun while it does last.