Tony Mitchell an All American for North Texas?

Harry

No. 13: Is Tony Mitchell an All-American for North Texas?

North Texas lost its successful long-time coach Johnny Jones to LSU, but the Mean Green didn’t lose its star player. The 6-8, 235-pound Tony Mitchell, a former Missouri signee before he was an academic nonqualifier, may be North Texas’ top player since the 1970s and could make a run at some postseason hardware after averaging 14.7 points and 10.3 rebounds last season.

Read more: http://www.athlonsports.com/college-basketball/college-basketballs-great-68-questions-17-south-region

I saw this earlier and it got me thinking about it. The thought actually hadn't ever crossed my mind. I think it's certainly possible, but unlikely. He'd need to average like 18/11 and the team would need to have a great season, and I think that would do it. But it will be tough.

I saw this earlier and it got me thinking about it. The thought actually hadn't ever crossed my mind. I think it's certainly possible, but unlikely. He'd need to average like 18/11 and the team would need to have a great season, and I think that would do it. But it will be tough.

No, he would have to average 25 and 15 to even get a look. It's not like we are in the Big 12.

No, he would have to average 25 and 15 to even get a look. It's not like we are in the Big 12.

If this was football and he was a star he'd have no chance. But if the team has a great season, and so does he, he will get looks. Everyone knows who he is, and smaller schools have had success with all-americans before. Wasn't Murray State's Isaiah Canaan one last year?

If this was football and he was a star he'd have no chance. But if the team has a great season, and so does he, he will get looks. Everyone knows who he is, and smaller schools have had success with all-americans before. Wasn't Murray State's Isaiah Canaan one last year?

Yes, and Doug McDermott from Creighton was a second teamer. If the team does very well and his game really picks up from what he showed last season, then I think he has a definite shot at it. First Team could be tough, but people aren't projecting him as a top 10 pick for nothing.

• Upvote 1

Yes, and Doug McDermott from Creighton was a second teamer. If the team does very well and his game really picks up from what he showed last season, then I think he has a definite shot at it. First Team could be tough, but people aren't projecting him as a top 10 pick for nothing.

Yeah exactly. It would take a lot from both him and the team, but 2nd or 3rd team is not out of the question, providing he stays healthy (pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee let him stay healthy) and we do well. It's definitely no guarantee, but the fact that there is even a conversation about it is amazing.

Never said he couldnt make it, just that he needs to average 25 and 15 in order to make it.

Naw, more like 22/12/3.5. Of course it would help a lot to win an NCAA tourney game along with something close to a mid-twenties number in the win column. Everyone knows about this guy at this point. I do agree that he needs to hit 20 points to have a chance at 1st or 2nd team, but if he really tears it up on the boards/or blocks, I think anything is possible.