Bringing back a live mascot to the University

stebo

Who's responsibility is it to maintain Boomer, the Bell, and our Model A? I would like to remind everyone that almost EVERY YEAR, FFR has to (along with his friend Alec) come up to the school and perform some sort of maintenance and/or fix something on Boomer so that the cannon can function during football season. He also has to have "cannon practice" so that the new members of the Talons can operate it safely during the football season. Now, he loves doing this but last year it was touch and go as to the Talons having enough actual bodies to show up for cannon practice.

If it weren't for our other loyal fan "Soundman", the bell would not have shown up at games last year.

To the credit of last years Talons, they did take action to get funds to rehab the Model A. But the process (parking the car under the stadium concourse and holding up a "please donate" sign) was one of the most pitiful and pathetic street person-like sights I have ever seen at a University event. But at least that group of Talons tried.

So much to elaborate on here.

The idea of getting a live mascot back on campus is a neat idea, but considering the expense and responsibility needed, compared to how three non living items have been treated the past 24 years I'm convinced it will never happen.

It it were not for a select group of alumni non of those items would probably exist today. We have been in meetings with university officials since last December trying to ratify the problems, so we will see how it goes. There are some good folks working on this. The problem though always stems from the fact that, and our athletics suffer more from this than any other, is that we rarely hire alumni at North Texas and there is constant turn over and those committed to the care and concern of the items one day, are gone the next. We pointed this fact out to them with example after example, as they promised that it's going to be different, this time. So again, we shall see how it goes?

As for the model A, the Talons, with minimal effort applied, couldn't get the past 5 years of neglect repaired, so they gave in when an engineering student approached them about letting his department have it for a class project at research park. Then proceeded to destroy a 73 year old American iconic automobile, probably the most simple combustible engines ever designed, and turned it into an electric car. As sad as this may be for those who love classic auto's(Most Americans), and I damn sure wouldnt have gone this route simply due to tradition and range of an electric car, this is the option they chose. I know I've seen golf carts take a lot of abuse when neglected, so we shall see how the A and it's batteries handles neglect down the road. The rest of the funding for getting it repainted and having the interior restored(you could see thru the floor last time I saw it) is being paid for by Dr. Rawlins' office. Dr. Rawlins and his people took the lead on this and I'm hoping will stay on top of it and not allow the car to fall into disrepair again.

They are also working obtaining permanent and secure storage for all three items. And there was talk about integrating a display area in the new student union despite the fact that this was promised to have been done at Apogee. That idea at Apogee of course fell through, so I'm not holding my breath on the student union idea, but we shall see?

All three items need storage at Apogee or very near by. Anyhow, thats your update on those three items. And if you see Soundman and like the fact that we have one of if not the nations' largest MOTORIZED spirit bell, give him a beer of his choice and a big thank you, as he raised that tradition from the grave by himself last year on his own dime and time, despite the fact that Talons have turned their backs on him on more than one occasion.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Im confused. Don't you always say the eagle is no longer our mascot?????

Um, no. Our team name is the Mean Green and our mascot is the Eagle. I love both parts of our heritage and think that the AD has done a great job of embracing both - and still emphasizing our unique moniker that no other Div I FBS University shares. It looks like another poster has suggested some sort of Eagle sanctuary and the comments in that thread seem to be pretty positive. I really don't care how we do it - it would just be nice to have this tradition brought back. Learn from all the past mistakes that were made (don't put it in the hands of the students or a student organization) - and perhaps develop a relationship with the Dallas or Ft Worth Zoo for some cross-promotional benefit. They could house the Eagle during the off season in an area with signs that say Home of the Mean Green Mascot - "Scrappy" - and have a handler bring the Eagle to the game for our 5 or 6 home games each year. Zoos are looking for ways to get people involved and doing inexpensive marketing - we could offer them all sorts of cross promotional marketing and fans could take their children to see Scrappy (along with all the other wildlife) at the zoo year round.

This is a tough room. Time to go back into hibernation :).

Edited by stebo

I apologize. I meant to say in my post that we should return to the old Scrappy icon. Be patient with me as I am new to this blogging business and mistakenly sent my last post twice.

• Upvote 1

I apologize. I meant to say in my post that we should return to the old Scrappy icon. Be patient with me as I am new to this blogging business and mistakenly sent my last post twice.

No worries! Take your time. We're all friends and bleed green. Good to have you on here.

It is unlawful to own a bald eagle but, with the government's permission, you can donate one to a zoo.

You can have one for a variety of purposes, but you have to be specially permitted and it has to be injured in a way that makes it incapable of being returned to the wild, I believe. Georgia Southern's, when it was found, had a permanently injured beak. North Texas could certainly have one permitted for educational use, but I don't know that it'd be realistic to have it flying around at games or anything - displayed, perhaps. But there are a lot of controls on the contact the animal can have - certainly none outside of the handlers.

Here's the federal permit. http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-14.pdf

I'm not sure if the State of Texas has a different permit. If they do, I believe you're required to have both.

As a new blogger, I continue to make mistakes, but will correct them in time. ( I inadverdently posted my last post twice). Also, when I said we need to bring the old Scrappy back, I meant the old Scrappy icon.

As a new blogger, I continue to make mistakes, but will correct them in time. ( I inadverdently posted my last post twice). Also, when I said we need to bring the old Scrappy back, I meant the old Scrappy icon.

If you mean the guy on this page, then I totally agree.......http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc38293/m1/5/?q=scrappy

If you mean that grinning parrot looking thing, then no thanks.

• Upvote 1