UNT loses TE prospect to SMU: Mean Green Blog

Harry

I usually don’t mention every time a break does not go UNT’s way in football recruiting, but it does seem worth posting that Red Oak tight end Jeremiah Gaines committed to another school today.

Gaines is headed to SMU, a school for which most UNT fans have a deep hatred.

I thought UNT might have a chance when Gaines cut his list of schools he was still considering to six and UNT made it. He spent a lot of time talking with Dan McCarney after UNT’s Friday Night Lights camp. Gaines also came by practice this spring with his family.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/07/tough-break-for-unt-jeremiah-gaines-commits-to-smu.html/

So we lost a TE recruit to a school that doesn't even employ a TE in their offense?

My guess is they will move him to defensive end. He's a good one and you hate to lose him to SMU but life goes on.

Seems Coach Mac might have been aware of this...as he did spend a bit of time at the recent Mean Green Club Volunteer Rep Banquet talking about UNT's tight ends. I'm with Lonnie on this...not really much of a loss, but would have liked to have seen this kid wearing green. Could have moved him to the D side if need be. Seems to have the size and quickness for it.

Oh, well, good luck to him....sorry he made the completely incorrect choice! So be it!

• Upvote 1

That could be right. I can't remember back that far. If so, that's not bad either. If he's too big to be a receiver, but has a receiver's hands, that'd be great.

I agree and hope his blocking comes along. If Power's blocking ability rubs off on Smith this year, and Smith still has his hands and speed then we could have a monster TE for a couple of years. Let's get some DT's and DE's committed.

• Upvote 2

The loss of Gaines is not so much how much he could have helped on the field but how much he could have helped in changing the attitude of other potential recruits. At this point we have ZERO three-star athletes in the 2013 class. We still have offers out there that will probably be accepted but they'll be too late to cause any kind of domino effect.

I take some heart in the fact that the commitments thus far seem to be good physical specimens with speed. Our coaching staff can make good FBS players out of them and they've seen them workout in person, not just on film. Still, it would be nice to see some commitments from those that are a step quicker and a bit stronger right now.

• Upvote 3

The loss of Gaines is not so much how much he could have helped on the field but how much he could have helped in changing the attitude of other potential recruits. At this point we have ZERO three-star athletes in the 2013 class. We still have offers out there that will probably be accepted but they'll be too late to cause any kind of domino effect.

I take some heart in the fact that the commitments thus far seem to be good physical specimens with speed. Our coaching staff can make good FBS players out of them and they've seen them workout in person, not just on film. Still, it would be nice to see some commitments from those that are a step quicker and a bit stronger right now.

There are lots of Texas HS football players out there like the Cedric Hardmans and the Drew Brees, but it still is nice to get a few 3 or 4 star recruits just to create some semblance of a comfort zone for this year's recruiting class. Dennis Francione is kicking our butts out there on the recruiting trail and is one reason many of us wanted him at UNT at one point, but Coach Mac is the Man with the Plan and it started out OK last season. At Iowa State, he had to take on many projects as did Bill Snyder at KSU and lest we forget, many of Boise's recruiting classes were most very unheralded and this, too...................how many times back in the day did we play Texas tight games? Compare the recruiting rankings of UNT versus UT even back then and it still may give us a true perspective of all this.

Like Gray Eagle said, I take some heart in the fact that the commitments thus far seem to be good physical specimens with speed.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

247 updated their rankings and now have both Sed Ellis & Calvin Minor as 3* players. Granted, it's a new rating system I guess since it's called 247 Composite ranking now. Surprised Dajon Williams has not received a ranking. Maybe Rivals will give him 3 stars. I think the #1 player on Mac's board right now is Will Earley who's a 3* CB on all three services and was at the Friday night lights event. I think we could see some higher caliber players commit if we start the season 3-2 and can carry momentum in to sun belt play.

• Upvote 1

I usually don’t mention every time a break does not go UNT’s way in football recruiting, but it does seem worth posting that Red Oak tight end Jeremiah Gaines committed to another school today.

Gaines is headed to SMU, a school for which most UNT fans have a deep hatred.

I thought UNT might have a chance when Gaines cut his list of schools he was still considering to six and UNT made it. He spent a lot of time talking with Dan McCarney after UNT’s Friday Night Lights camp. Gaines also came by practice this spring with his family.

Read more: http://meangreenblog...ts-to-smu.html/

I hope he gets a nice education and has a good life, but starting in 2014 I really hope we can make him regret picking SMU.

• Upvote 1

Ellis rated a 77 and Minor and Williams 75s by 247. In the past it took a grade of 80 to be considered a 3-star recruit. Twenty-four seven has added a new composite rating this year that combines their rating with other recruiting analysis sites. That elevated Ellis and Minor slightly and left Williams at 75 (probably because no one else has yet rated him).