1. Please tie your thoughts on helmet stickers, the 2-3 zone and gas prices into one, concise sentence.

2. What current member of the Mean Green nation would you take a bullet for?

3. What, um...do you like this gig?

1. The amount of points given up by a 2-3 zone is like the placement of helmet stickers and the price of gas: too damn high! (That is the best shot I could give at that)

2. The cute girl who sat behind me at the WKU game last year.

3. Orange.

Mean Green Nickname

There are many spoken origins to the name "Mean Green." The oldest written source comes from a 1967 Dallas Morning News article by Randy Galloway entitled "MEAN GREEN ON THE LOOSE! Defense Swallows Foes For NTSU."

mean-green.jpg

The article features defensive players; James "steals kids' candy" Ivy, Lindy "cheats at marbles" Endsley, Joe "kicks puppies" Greene, Ret "slugs old ladies" Little, Charles "the hatchet" Beatty, Henry "tears up dolls" Holland, Bob "likes to let air out of wheel chair tires" Tucker.

The article describes that around campus, the "Mean Green" phrase originated from Sidney Graham, wife of the Eagles' sports information director in 1966 and soon became a second nickname.

One of these players found additional fame in the NFL. "Mean" Joe Greene went on to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 1970s. Greene is arguably the most dominant defensive lineman to ever play in the NFL and was the cornerstone of the famous "Steel Curtain" defense. He is also a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame and a four-time Super Bowl champion.

#2... Cedrick Hardman, DE, who graduated a year after Joe Greene. Hardman was all-pro in 1971 and 1975. His sack total at SF was 121........Charles Haley of the Dallas Cowboys (and 49rs) had only 100.

http://en.wikipedia....Cedrick_Hardman

Thanks for the Mean Green history lesson my friend! Cool stuff.

Thor sits in section 106 on the other side of the field. I had no idea he could hurl a can of beer than far.

Never doubt the almighty Thor. He was all-state in the hammer throw in high school.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm tempted to bicker about people bickering about bickering, but I'll fight that temptation. Welcome aboard! And who you callin' old! ;)

I look forward to bickering with stormchaser while drinking a beer and eating your fajitas during football season.

• Upvote 1

1. The amount of points given up by a 2-3 zone is like the placement of helmet stickers and the price of gas: too damn high! (That is the best shot I could give at that)

3. Orange.

Answer #1 certainly needs a bit of work, but 2 and 3 are better-than-solid replies. I like the cut of your jib.

Now just cut down on the Homer-esque epic-length responses and you'll do well here.

• Upvote 1

3. Orange.

Thanks for the Mean Green history lesson my friend! Cool stuff.

Never doubt the almighty Thor. He was all-state in the hammer throw in high school.

Question #4.) WHERE IS RAY?!?!?!?!?!?

Question #4.) WHERE IS RAY?!?!?!?!?!?

Exactly where you left him....

Kind and gentle isn't necessarily what I'm pulling for, just an end to unnecessary stupidity and bickering. I can tell from contextual clues on the older posts when things are done in a joking manner, but it seemed that there are many examples of threads going to shit because of unnecessary, and often irrelevant, bickering. And it can be entertaining, but it also can be counterproductive. A disagreement where people present points and aren't arguing for the sake of arguing is a wonderful thing.

If I may venture a guess, I would imagine this is the first time the words contextual clues and s**t have been used in the same sentence in the long history of GoMeanGreen.com

• Upvote 1

If I may venture a guess, I would imagine this is the first time the words contextual clues and s**t have been used in the same sentence in the long history of GoMeanGreen.com

Hahaha. Glad I was able to do something no one else has done in my short time on the site.

Great post I haven't been on the forum long so I can actually dispute what you have observe but I suspect you are right. However let me tell you why. You are dealing with a very frustrated core fan base. The students stepped and signed off the fee that allowed the stadium to be built. Alumni stepped up, donated and bought season tickets. And I believe the athletic department hasn't be transparent in regards to some key factors restricting the growth of the football program and I will list them. BTW if you going to play a FCS HBCU team it should be one of the more prominent ones like Hampton, Grambling or Southern.

1. We don't have local Texas rival that we play annually

2. They have never hired a head coach with well known NFL experience btw they passed on Harbough before he went to Stanford. Charlie Weis is an assistant at Florida (PLEASE NOTE I LOVE OUR CURRENT COACH)

3. They have never hired a state of Texas (or regional) college or pro-level football star ie Dat Nguyen, Jack Del Rio, or Mike Leach.

• Downvote 2