Im happy we're opening against Texas Southern. Great way to get all the cylinders firing in time.

NORTH versus SOUTH!

Welcome aboard Stormchaser. Where in Rhode Island? I've spent a healthy amount of time in Providence and Pawtuckett.

Im happy we're opening against Texas Southern. Great way to get all the cylinders firing in time.

NORTH versus SOUTH!

Welcome aboard Stormchaser. Where in Rhode Island? I've spent a healthy amount of time in Providence and Pawtuckett.

I thought the same thing when I saw TSU was our opening game. I was born and raised in Cumberland, all 18 years here in RI were spent there. But since it borders Pawtucket I've been there hundreds of times, usually to go to a Pawtucket Red Sox game. And of course, I've been to Providence countless times as well.

• Upvote 1

On a side note, I need a much smaller signature picture. That thing is humongous. I'll be changing that in a moment.

• Upvote 1

Becoming a kinder and gentler Mean Green Nation message board probably ain't gonna happen.anytime soon. As another poster indicated, I think the vast majority of it is in jest anyway. Sometimes it can actually be a bit entertaining. Welcome aboard regardless.

Kind and gentle isn't necessarily what I'm pulling for, just an end to unnecessary stupidity and bickering. I can tell from contextual clues on the older posts when things are done in a joking manner, but it seemed that there are many examples of threads going to shit because of unnecessary, and often irrelevant, bickering. And it can be entertaining, but it also can be counterproductive. A disagreement where people present points and aren't arguing for the sake of arguing is a wonderful thing.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Well when the team hits the field it is funny how all the summer negative chatter disappears. All we ask is that our teams are well prepared, that they play hard and that the fans do their part. It truly is a simple recipe and despite the look of it at times, this is going to be an exciting and memorable year! Heading to the most memorable tailgate I have ever witnessed in Baton Rouge. It will be fun to be the dot of green in the Tiger land.

GMG

• Upvote 2

Well when the team hits the field it is funny how all the summer negative chatter disappears. All we ask is that our teams are well prepared, that they play hard and that the fans do their part. It truly is a simple recipe and despite the look of it at times, this is going to be an exciting and memorable year! Heading to the most memorable tailgate I have ever witnessed in Baton Rouge. It will be fun to be the dot of green in the Tiger land.

GMG

I was really hoping I'd be able to make it to the LSU game, but on a student budget, having to spend that much on gas and a hotel for the night is just too much ): there's an outside chance that I'll have to head down to Austin that weekend anyways, but even if I don't the cash factor and the fact that classes will have just started make it a tough pill to swallow. I'll be at my aunt's watching on ESPNU though. I hope a bunch of people make it down there though, let them Tigers know we are legit and have legit fans!

Welcome aboard! Thanks for being candid and feel free to chime in to give us a current student perspective.

Thanks! I'll be glad to give a student perspective on things throughout the year, and into the future. I'm hoping it gets better than last year. There's such a big divide in opinion about the sports teams, some people are hardcore, and some are hardcore against going. I've actually been flamed by another student big time for calling it pathetic how Michigan can get 100,000 people to their games, and there is a student ticket waiting list despite the fact they have to pay to get in, and they got upset at me and told me I was too crazy about football (no such thing) and that not everyone likes football and I should respect that (what?). Oh well, it'll change in time. If we win, they will come. There are a lot of people that just couldn't care either way, and those are the people I try to sway.

I'm tempted to bicker about people bickering about bickering, but I'll fight that temptation. Welcome aboard! And who you callin' old! ;)

It is a tough urge to fight! Haha. It's cool to see alumni from your era and even much farther back on this site. I know someday I'll be that guy supporting the living hell out of UNT (and wherever I end up for grad school) sports despite the fact that it's been 20, 30, 40 years since I graduated.

make sure to swing by our tailgates for some brew!!! we always have plenty!!!

I will gladly take you up on that offer! Last year I just sat outside the gate bored for a couple hours before gametime to ensure I got front row at the 50 on the student side.

Cheers everybody!

• Upvote 2

OK Stormchaser, time for a quiz.

1. Where did the nickname "Mean Green" come from?

2. Everyone knows about Joe Greene, but who is the "other" great defensive lineman from North Texas ?

BTW, I'm delighted that you are with the Mean Green nation. I hope you are one of many thousands of new fans at North Texas.

I was really hoping I'd be able to make it to the LSU game, but on a student budget, having to spend that much on gas and a hotel for the night is just too much ): there's an outside chance that I'll have to head down to Austin that weekend anyways, but even if I don't the cash factor and the fact that classes will have just started make it a tough pill to swallow. I'll be at my aunt's watching on ESPNU though. I hope a bunch of people make it down there though, let them Tigers know we are legit and have legit fans!

Thanks! I'll be glad to give a student perspective on things throughout the year, and into the future. I'm hoping it gets better than last year. There's such a big divide in opinion about the sports teams, some people are hardcore, and some are hardcore against going. I've actually been flamed by another student big time for calling it pathetic how Michigan can get 100,000 people to their games, and there is a student ticket waiting list despite the fact they have to pay to get in, and they got upset at me and told me I was too crazy about football (no such thing) and that not everyone likes football and I should respect that (what?). Oh well, it'll change in time. If we win, they will come. There are a lot of people that just couldn't care either way, and those are the people I try to sway.

It is a tough urge to fight! Haha. It's cool to see alumni from your era and even much farther back on this site. I know someday I'll be that guy supporting the living hell out of UNT (and wherever I end up for grad school) sports despite the fact that it's been 20, 30, 40 years since I graduated.

I will gladly take you up on that offer! Last year I just sat outside the gate bored for a couple hours before gametime to ensure I got front row at the 50 on the student side.

Cheers everybody!

How do you manage to squeeze by the Talons? My group usually blows them off when they tell us they have the first two rows "reserved." About half of them are gone by the 2nd half anyways. Some spirit group...

• Upvote 1

OK Stormchaser, time for a quiz.

1. Where did the nickname "Mean Green" come from?

2. Everyone knows about Joe Greene, but who is the "other" great defensive lineman from North Texas ?

BTW, I'm delighted that you are with the Mean Green nation. I hope you are one of many thousands of new fans at North Texas.

1. I'm not 100% sure, but wasn't it that Mean Green was the nickname for our stout defense back in the day (60s? 70s?), and it just kind of caught on and was applied to the whole team?

2. Off the top of my head, I do not know. Please enlighten me good sir.

I'm still learning the Mean Green history haha, as I said before I'm not from the area so I knew next to nothing about the school's sports before coming here. GMG

We've been needing a new hurricane expert on these boards for a while now. This seems perfect.

Haha, severe weather is my expertise, but becoming a research meteorologist of some kind (a storm chaser would be perfect...imagine getting paid to do that!) is my ultimate career goal.

How do you manage to squeeze by the Talons? My group usually blows them off when they tell us they have the first two rows "reserved." About half of them are gone by the 2nd half anyways. Some spirit group...

I show up really early and am first in line at the gate usually haha. If anyone tries to tell me to move I summon Thor to strike them down.

1. I'm not 100% sure, but wasn't it that Mean Green was the nickname for our stout defense back in the day (60s? 70s?), and it just kind of caught on and was applied to the whole team?

I'm still learning the Mean Green history haha, as I said before I'm not from the area so I knew next to nothing about the school's sports before coming here. GMG

Hint: Check out my avatar. Best FB player I've ever seen wear Green with my own eyes.

Haha, severe weather is my expertise, but becoming a research meteorologist of some kind (a storm chaser would be perfect...imagine getting paid to do that!) is my ultimate career goal.

I show up really early and am first in line at the gate usually haha. If anyone tries to tell me to move I summon Thor to strike them down.

Mean Green Nickname

There are many spoken origins to the name "Mean Green." The oldest written source comes from a 1967 Dallas Morning News article by Randy Galloway entitled "MEAN GREEN ON THE LOOSE! Defense Swallows Foes For NTSU."

mean-green.jpg

The article features defensive players; James "steals kids' candy" Ivy, Lindy "cheats at marbles" Endsley, Joe "kicks puppies" Greene, Ret "slugs old ladies" Little, Charles "the hatchet" Beatty, Henry "tears up dolls" Holland, Bob "likes to let air out of wheel chair tires" Tucker.

The article describes that around campus, the "Mean Green" phrase originated from Sidney Graham, wife of the Eagles' sports information director in 1966 and soon became a second nickname.

One of these players found additional fame in the NFL. "Mean" Joe Greene went on to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 1970s. Greene is arguably the most dominant defensive lineman to ever play in the NFL and was the cornerstone of the famous "Steel Curtain" defense. He is also a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame and a four-time Super Bowl champion.

#2... Cedrick Hardman, DE, who graduated a year after Joe Greene. Hardman was all-pro in 1971 and 1975. His sack total at SF was 121........Charles Haley of the Dallas Cowboys (and 49rs) had only 100.

http://en.wikipedia....Cedrick_Hardman

Edited by SilverEagle

Mean Green Nickname

There are many spoken origins to the name "Mean Green." The oldest written source comes from a 1967 Dallas Morning News article by Randy Galloway entitled "MEAN GREEN ON THE LOOSE! Defense Swallows Foes For NTSU."

mean-green.jpg

The article features defensive players; James "steals kids' candy" Ivy, Lindy "cheats at marbles" Endsley, Joe "kicks puppies" Greene, Ret "slugs old ladies" Little, Charles "the hatchet" Beatty, Henry "tears up dolls" Holland, Bob "likes to let air out of wheel chair tires" Tucker.

The article describes that around campus, the "Mean Green" phrase originated from Sidney Graham, wife of the Eagles' sports information director in 1966 and soon became a second nickname.

One of these players found additional fame in the NFL. "Mean" Joe Greene went on to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 1970s. Greene is arguably the most dominant defensive lineman to ever play in the NFL and was the cornerstone of the famous "Steel Curtain" defense. He is also a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame and a four-time Super Bowl champion.

#2... Cedrick Hardman, DE, who graduated a year after Joe Greene. Hardman was all-pro in 1971 and 1975. His total sack total at SF was 121........Charles Haley of the Dallas Cowboys (and 49rs) had only 100.

http://en.wikipedia....Cedrick_Hardman

OOps! Should have known an old-timer was looking for another 60's - 70's player. I suppose you can't say "the" other in this situation...

• Upvote 1