So what fear mongering tactic results from last night's shooting?

Option A) TSA security checkpoints at all theaters, shopping malls and sports venues.

Option B) A federal ban on every type of conceivable weapon from anti-tank guns all the way down to dollar store slingshots.

I am sick at myself for hearing this news and thinking nothing of the victims, but rather immediately prognosticating on who will exploit it for political gain.

Unfortunately, it has already turned political with Piers Morgan and Mayor Bloomberg calling for major gun restrictions, and details about how many gun stores were within 10 miles of this guy's apartment, Facebook blaming Limbaugh and Talk Radio with no evidence of this guys politics, etc.

...However, the President gave a very sincere and well placed statement and cancelled campaign events for the day, as has Gov. Romney. I think they both handled it with class, and I'm proud of our President today when he said "NO POLITICS" thanked the crowed and headed back to AF1 to return to Washington.

• Upvote 2

Unfortunately, it has already turned political with Piers Morgan and Mayor Bloomberg calling for major gun restrictions, and details about how many gun stores were within 10 miles of this guy's apartment, Facebook blaming Limbaugh and Talk Radio with no evidence of this guys politics, etc.

...However, the President gave a very sincere and well placed statement and cancelled campaign events for the day, as has Gov. Romney. I think they both handled it with class, and I'm proud of our President today when he said "NO POLITICS" thanked the crowed and headed back to AF1 to return to Washington.

Sadly, while both worked in private to determine which minion they would send out today and with what message. Being a politician is a 24/7, 365 job.

Option A) TSA security checkpoints at all theaters, shopping malls and sports venues.

Option B) A federal ban on every type of conceivable weapon from anti-tank guns all the way down to dollar store slingshots.

I am sick at myself for hearing this news and thinking nothing of the victims, but rather immediately prognosticating on who will exploit it for political gain.

Didn't he bust in through the back exit making option 1 not viable?

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

They botched that really badly.

They were talking about Jim Holmes, not James Holmes, the actual shooter. ABC did a pullback on that, but the damage was already done.

Shocking.

Oh wait, not really.

Maybe they will report if he voted democrat,.

Na...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Shocking.

Oh wait, not really.

Maybe they will report if he voted democrat,.

Na...

It's better. MSNBC had someone going about a "Dark, Trekkie type" having done this.

Because that's relevant information, right? So with all the news about the movie one could say, Bane was written in as a bad-guy in a shot at the GOP, 20 years ago because something something Bain Capital, and the shooter is a Tea Party guy who loves Star Trek too much.

Love that fast-cycle news industry.

Why isn't it possible for people just to say, "Look, this guy was nuts"? Forget guns, forget politics. Crazy people kill in many different ways. They strangle, they stab, they drown, etc.

Crazy people are just crazy. Part of what drove me out of voting ever again was the stupidity of having to "choose a side" for every event that came down the pike. There is no "side" to this. The guy is a nutcase.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 5

I DON'T CARE WHO THE F$^K HE VOTED FOR! There are crazy assholes on both sides of the spectrum. Why do we always want to jump and paint everyone with such a broad brush?

Here's what I care about. Why the hell did he do this and how do we help the victims and their families though this and to get justice?

...all the rest of this commentary is irrelevant and distasteful, regardless of what side it is coming from.

• Upvote 1

Why isn't it possible for people just to say, "Look, this guy was nuts"? Forget guns, forget politics. Crazy people kill in many different ways. They strangle, they stab, they drown, etc.

Crazy people are just crazy. Part of what drove me out of voting ever again was the stupidity of having to "choose a side" for every event that came down the pike. There is no "side" to this. The guy is a nutcase.

Exachary. I've become a political Slim Pickens. I've learned to stop worrying and how to love the bomb.

This should be viewed as a tragic event perpetrated by a lone madman, but instead, the pundits will use it to increase pep in their cheer sections, and the politicians will use it to benefit some lobbyist to the great inconvenience of the general population. Out shall be named, ” Aurora's Law.” All we need is a baby named Aurora, so we can” protect” her.

As a dude that owns and loves plenty of guns, I've got no problem with outlawing assault rifles like the one that jackwagon walked into that theater with.

Thank you. Unfortunately, in today's pseudo-political/media culture its nearly impossible to have a frank discussion on gun-accessibility in this country without it becoming a bunkered-in political argument.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Thank you. Unfortunately, in today's pseudo-political/media culture its nearly impossible to have a frank discussion on gun-accessibility in this country without it becoming a bunkered-in political argument.

There's no better evidence that The Machine works on perpetual motion now than the fact that the politicians were able to say - "We're not going to politicize this," knowing full well that they can trust in the American People to do it for themselves.

What pisses me off is how some media outlets are labeling this "The Batman Massacre." Really slanders the name and brand of the iconic character

I kind of have to agree with that. I know we shouldn't be picking ridiculous things out like this in the midst of a tragedy like this, but, on one outlet they talked about how hereoes in movies often kill every bad guy they come across and how that is glorified in today's culture. Someone should have told them in this case, the hero refuses to kill his nemesi. On another note, why does this guy hold elected office? http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2012/07/rep-louie-gohmert-questions-why-no-one-in-aurora-theater-had-a-gun-to-stop-shooter/

.."CNN'S PIERS MORGAN EXPLOITS 'DARK KNIGHT' MASSACRE TO PUSH GUN CONTROL"...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/07/20/CNN-Explots-Batman-Tragedy

"If there's an American tragedy, within hours you can always expect our corrupt media to feast on the corpses of the victims in order to push their left-wing political agenda.

As we saw with the horrifying Tucson murders a couple of years ago, where within an hour the media was blaming Sarah Palin for the killings, these are awful people who can never stop proving how awful they are.

Case in point, CNN's Piers Morgan who is already exploiting 12 deaths and dozens injured to push for gun control:..."

This was a horrible tragedy, and not unlike our Wedgwood Church shooting in Fort Worth several years back, a day I was so glad I was off duty for because of the stories I learned from co workers the next day. I pray for the families and victims in Aurora.

With that, I'll simply remind that tomorrow, most due to carelessness, 90 Americans will die on a U.S. highway and no one will bat an eye about it. I imagine Pierce would sleep just fine tonight if someone were to point that out to him?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

.."CNN'S PIERS MORGAN EXPLOITS 'DARK KNIGHT' MASSACRE TO PUSH GUN CONTROL"...

http://www.breitbart...-Batman-Tragedy

"If there's an American tragedy, within hours you can always expect our corrupt media to feast on the corpses of the victims in order to push their left-wing political agenda.

As we saw with the horrifying Tucson murders a couple of years ago, where within an hour the media was blaming Sarah Palin for the killings, these are awful people who can never stop proving how awful they are.

Case in point, CNN's Piers Morgan who is already exploiting 12 deaths and dozens injured to push for gun control:..."

This was a horrible tragedy, and not unlike our Wedgwood Church shooting in Fort Worth several years back, a day I was so glad I was off duty for because of the stories I learned from co workers the next day. I pray for the families and victims in Aurora.

With that, I'll simply remind that tomorrow, most due to carelessness, 90 Americans will die on a U.S. highway and no one will bat an eye about it. I imagine Pierce would sleep just fine tonight if someone were to point that out to him?

Rick

Speed limits, phone call/text laws while driving, intoxication levels while driving...all of these laws have evolved in the wake of tragic accidents. Are there still accidents? Sure. Are there probably fewer than there would be if it were legal to do 95 with an old-fashioned in one hand while sexting a Brazilian hooker? Gonna lean toward yes.

Yet the thought of any implementation of gun control is somehow only an invasion of constitutional rights after a mass-shooting?

Discussing gun laws after a tragedy involving guns isn't pushing any sort of agenda. It's common sense.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

Speed limits, phone call/text laws while driving, intoxication levels while driving...all of these laws have evolved in the wake of tragic accidents. Are there still accidents? Sure. Are there probably fewer than there would be if it were legal to do 95 with an old-fashioned in one hand while sexting a Brazilian hooker? Gonna lean toward yes.

Yet the thought of any implementation of gun control is somehow only an invasion of constitutional rights after a mass-shooting?

Discussing gun laws after a tragedy involving guns isn't pushing any sort of agenda. It's common sense.

Is it?

Is the time to talk about a controversial issue realy right after a highly emotional event? And is the media really the entity that needs to be trying to drive the discussion?

Take a breath and let the families bury their relatives.

Now really isn't the time.

Not to mention, why does a brittish journalist feel the need to stick his nose into an American issue?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1