UH chooses North Texas' Stadium Construction Firm

Harry

Cool, so about $95 - 100 mil to build after demo (I must admit I'm clueless when it comes to demolition/construction costs). Do you guys have a target for capacity? Apogee currently holds 31,500. I'm sure you guys will go higher than that.

Target is 40k which is only an increase of about 8k, but much more suites and premier seating so hopefully more revenue not just on additional attendance, but also on current attendance.

As everyone is doing, it's set up to easily expand. Phase 2 estimate is 60k seats. I like that we're not going to 60k immediately. Season tickets and sell outs are much easier when it's a hot ticket. If walk ups are always available, sell outs are harder. Expand to 60k when 40k is almost always a sell out.

You should be able to expand soon when your competition is SMU and the remnants of a watered down Big East.

Target is 40k which is only an increase of about 8k, but much more suites and premier seating so hopefully more revenue not just on additional attendance, but also on current attendance.

As everyone is doing, it's set up to easily expand. Phase 2 estimate is 60k seats. I like that we're not going to 60k immediately. Season tickets and sell outs are much easier when it's a hot ticket. If walk ups are always available, sell outs are harder. Expand to 60k when 40k is almost always a sell out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You should be able to expand soon when your competition is SMU and the remnants of a watered down Big East.

That sounded like a shot at the new Big East. I won't take a shot at CUSA because I enjoy playing those teams, but I can guarantee that the those teams in the "watered down" BE aren't worse draws than the teams in CUSA as well as OOC opponents like GA State and TX State which have been sell outs or near sell outs the last 3 years.

I wish you all well. I've always liked UH had have many friends that graduate from there. Hope we can develop a series with you all in the future.

I have always considered UH very similar to UNT. Both schools have similar enrollments and average SAT scores. Both have a large amount of commuter students. And, each desperately want to be more respected in the State and Nation. Still the longer that I have lived down here I have realized that UH leads UNT by a mile in the all important category of money. UH has alot more wealthy alumni (some thanks to the oil boom) and they give both to the school and athletics. It is imperative that UNT catches up in the financial arms race if we really think we are going anywhere.

• Upvote 2

I have always considered UH very similar to UNT. Both schools have similar enrollments and average SAT scores. Both have a large amount of commuter students. And, each desperately want to be more respected in the State and Nation. Still the longer that I have lived down here I have realized that UH leads UNT by a mile in the all important category of money. UH has alot more wealthy alumni (some thanks to the oil boom) and they give both to the school and athletics. It is imperative that UNT catches up in the financial arms race if we really think we are going anywhere.

UH's law school has helped too!

UH's law school has helped too!

No doubt Harry, and amazingly the Law School is not part of the downtown campus, Clearbrook campus, Sugarland campus, Pasadena campus or whatever other UH campus you can think of. Just simply University of Houston Law Center.

Total thread hi-jack here. Can someone knowledgeable post some of the good things that Lee Jackson has accomplished for us because I am certain he does not deserve the hate beam I focus on him regularly. I am being very sincere. What should I like about him?

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 1

No doubt Harry, and amazingly the Law School is not part of the downtown campus, Clearbrook campus, Sugarland campus, Pasadena campus or whatever other UH campus you can think of. Just simply University of Houston Law Center.

Total thread hi-jack here. Can someone knowledgeable post some of the good things that Lee Jackson has accomplished for us because I am certain he does not deserve the hate beam I focus on him regularly. I am being very sincere. What should I like about him?

Me too.

Wonder how much credit he gets for the Charn or Voertman's contributions? Seems like Mr. Voertman was going to give regardless, and I believe I read that it was President Rawlins that flew to SE Asia to meet with Charn.

• Upvote 1

Me too.

Wonder how much credit he gets for the Charn or Voertman's contributions? Seems like Mr. Voertman was going to give regardless, and I believe I read that it was President Rawlins that flew to SE Asia to meet with Charn.

I could be wrong, but I think the university president does more fundraising, while Jackson was hired to help us out in Austin. Has he done it? Let's see, the athletic fee is tied to the stadium payoff and future construction. I believe we are the only university that has this restriction. The law school was allowed to be robbed from UNT and given to UNT Dallas, a school with zero history and zero respect in academia, pretty much ensuring failure (and if not failure, a huge road to hoe to respectability). No pharmacy school.

His supposed stregnth was political ties in Austin. We have received ZERO benefit from these supposed ties.

Now, do you credit him or the BOR for the hiring of Rawlins and the investment in athletics (mainly increasing coaches' salaries), I do not know.

But, to me, he has been a complete failure in Austin.

• Upvote 2

Not sure what you mean here. The primary law school building (Bates Law) and law library are very near the architecture and engineering buildings on the main campus. See the campus map.

I could be wrong, but I think the university president does more fundraising, while Jackson was hired to help us out in Austin. Has he done it? Let's see, the athletic fee is tied to the stadium payoff and future construction. I believe we are the only university that has this restriction. The law school was allowed to be robbed from UNT and given to UNT Dallas, a school with zero history and zero respect in academia, pretty much ensuring failure (and if not failure, a huge road to hoe to respectability). No pharmacy school.

His supposed stregnth was political ties in Austin. We have received ZERO benefit from these supposed ties.

Now, do you credit him or the BOR for the hiring of Rawlins and the investment in athletics (mainly increasing coaches' salaries), I do not know.

But, to me, he has been a complete failure in Austin.

I can't see where Jackson has helped UNT one bit. Curious what we pay Mr. Jackson for doing nothing?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not sure what you mean here. The primary law school building (Bates Law) and law library are very near the architecture and engineering buildings on the main campus. See the campus map.

I was making a reference to the fact that our future law school was given to UNT Dallas.

Edited by HoustonEagle

I can't see where Jackson has helped UNT one bit. Curious what we pay Mr. Jackson for doing nothing?

http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/government-employee-salaries/search/?q=chancellor&x=0&y=0

he makes $508,877 per year and he is the second highest paid chancellor of any university system in Texas and unT is the smallest system in the state and Dr. Khator serves as chancellor of the UH System and the President of the main campus.....and she has out performed lee by about a million miles

and Kent Hance has given Texas Tech more in donations since he took the job than all of his pay combined and that does not count donations he made before he took the job

TWU does not really consider themselves a system anymore, but they did when Dr. Stuart took the job so she still has the dual titles and they do have multiple locations that offer full degrees

TAMU-College station alone is larger than the unT system and Tech the next smallest system is 3,600+ students larger when you count all their system components

lee is quite the bargin!!

he has done great things though....there is the failed dallas campus, the inability to get a law school open in 6+ years, the pharmacy program with no ties to the "flagship" and specific entrance requirements that makes it easy for potential students to never set foot in Denton for any of the 6 years of course work, the inability to get the M.D. program going, the huge increase in endowment, the wonderful performance in "tier 1" metrics, the lack of ability to meet research goals even one year into the various plans, the turn over in the presidents office, the consolidation of system functions in dallas for no real reason (other than the desire to funnel more system resources into failed dallas economic projects), watching TAMU make the move on the law school in Fort Worth and probably being caught flat footed and surprised, the hiring of his buddy to fund raise that left in less than 9 months.....but hey he has the "big time dallas money connections"

there is the stadium though!

Well, that about sums it up. GL2Greatness, you're not really fond of Jackson or UNT are you?

he is really really really bad at his job and he is too stupid to even know it.....I doubt he is respected in the legislature (and it shows) and basically he is a shill for dallas proper and he waste a great deal of the Denton campus and students resources in dallas proper on ideas that have not only been called a bad idea when they were conceived they have now proven to be failed ideas....and just as damaging he has wasted a lot of political capital on those failed ideas