UH chooses North Texas' Stadium Construction Firm

Harry

Look at the University of Houston, acting all grown up and everything. They are so cute at that age.

UH, long suffering in grand old Robertson Stadium, particularly in recent years when the football team has been, you know, actually good, finally is moving forward on a much ballyhooed stadium plan and its first order of business was to hire Manhattan Construction to manage the project.

Manhattan not only built the Jerry Jones palace in Dallas (Palace in Dallas should be the name, by the way) and the cool new stadium in North Texas (their football team needed that?), they also built Reliant Stadium and the recently opened, totally swank new digs for the Dynamo, BBVA Compass Stadium.

Read more: http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2012/07/uh_football_stadium.php

The University of Houston has selected Manhattan Construction Company, which has handled some of the nation's top sports facilities, to build the Cougars' new football stadium.

Manhattan Construction Company joins UH's project which also includes PageSoutherlandPage and DLR Group as the architects.

"The most valuable thing that we bring to the University of Houston is our experience and our lessons learned from the various sports venues such as Reliant Stadium, Dallas Cowboys, the Apogee Stadium at University of North Texas as well as the Houston Dynamo and BBVA Compass Stadium," said Duane Duffy, Manhattan Construction Company senior vice president-Houston division, in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/19011527/2012/07/12/university-of-houston#ixzz20YXLk7UK

"Manhattan not only built the Jerry Jones palace in Dallas (Palace in Dallas should be the name, by the way) and the cool new stadium in North Texas (their football team needed that?),"

Why yes....yes we did

It's unfortunate when writers make such a reach trying to say....(something cute?), that they fall on their face before they've gotten past the first paragraph. They should remember that writing is work, and put some effort into it. Heck, we helped get the Houston football program started, back when they didn't have any friends.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 3

I'm glad we could help Houston get their new place started. We sort of showed UH how to take that first step. It's always good when leaders can show newer schools how .

BTW, why not call 'em the Arlington Cowboys or the Tarrant Co Cowboys. They're not only not in Dallas but not even in Dallas County.

The North Texas Cowboys ?

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

Does that include demolition and removal of Robertson?

If so, you may be looking at a budget very similar to ours. We were able to start out with a blank piece of land.

demo will not run that much it only cost 6 million to demo Texas Stadium and Robertson will not be near that complex because it is half the size, has no roof structure, and parts of it are not concrete and will be easy to tear apart and recycle

even if it was 5 million to demo Robertson that still leaves them with 28% more of a budget to work with (78 vs 100 million)

• Downvote 2

demo will not run that much it only cost 6 million to demo Texas Stadium and Robertson will not be near that complex because it is half the size, has no roof structure, and parts of it are not concrete and will be easy to tear apart and recycle

even if it was 5 million to demo Robertson that still leaves them with 28% more of a budget to work with (78 vs 100 million)

Shouldn't you and your "partner" be camped out for the new Batman movie?

• Upvote 1

Can I have a discussion with NTX Coog without you interrupting? Thanks.

• Upvote 2

I+give+up+_47ff4003a8484f727eddbb21cc51088a.png

Does that include demolition and removal of Robertson?

If so, you may be looking at a budget very similar to ours. We were able to start out with a blank piece of land.

I'm sure that includes demolition. Don't know what the cost of that is, but I can't imagine it being $27 million. As GL said, TX Stadium only cost $6 million. (Controversial) estimates of Astrodome demolition are around $78 million, but that includes:

Roof issues that are more complex than Texas Stadium.

Dome goes 35 feet below grade and sits on a water table. In Houston, water may always be an issue, but I highly doubt Robertson goes that deep. Part of that cost would be to refill the hole. Any hole caused by Robertson demolition would probably be included as part of the new construction plan.

$10 million goes towards asbestos removal. Since we heavily renovated in 1999 and had other minor renovations in 2006, I doubt that will be much of a cost

I'm sure that includes demolition. Don't know what the cost of that is, but I can't imagine it being $27 million. As GL said, TX Stadium only cost $6 million. (Controversial) estimates of Astrodome demolition are around $78 million, but that includes:

Dome goes 35 feet below grade and sits on a water table. In Houston, water may always be an issue, but I highly doubt Robertson goes that deep. Part of that cost would be to refill the hole. Any hole caused by Robertson demolition would probably be included as part of the new construction plan.

$10 million goes towards asbestos removal. Since we heavily renovated in 1999 and had other minor renovations in 2006, I doubt that will be much of a cost

Reading anything GL2G posts is a complete waste of time. Just FYI.

Troll of the lowest order.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5

Cool, so about $95 - 100 mil to build after demo (I must admit I'm clueless when it comes to demolition/construction costs). Do you guys have a target for capacity? Apogee currently holds 31,500. I'm sure you guys will go higher than that.