Stolen Valor Law Struck Down

Isn’t this country great or what! As a Viet Nam Veteran, I can now go on-line an order me a “medal of choice” and add to my five “earned” medals received for my service in ‘Nam. Let’s see, a Silver Cross with 5 oak leaf clusters would be nice. Couple of bronze stars, two purple hearts, etc., would add nicely to my collection. And I can now tell people I won those awards and display them on my lapel if I want to! Wearing a Medal of Honor around my neck might be a stretch. (sarcasm intended)

I know this is a freedom of speech issue, but I sure hope the lawmakers have enough sense to “tweak” the law just a tad.

Where’s the common sense?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57462642/supreme-court-strikes-down-stolen-valor-law/

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Flat out wrong that someone can just buy medals, but like MGD said, let's see someone get sniffed out. I'd love to get that call:

Me: What happened?

Complainant: This dude just kicked my ass.

Me: Why?

Complainant: He didn't like me wearing these medals i bought.

Me to Subject: What happened?

Subject: I whooped his ass for wearing those medals. I had to earn mine.

Me: 10-8, no report.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe the law can be re-worded so that anyone who lies about military service for the purpose of financial gain, can be charged with fraud. I can't think of anything much more despicable than lying about military service and claiming that you earned medals in the process.

But then, I don't know what is worse. Lying about being in the military, or being a chicken hawk politician(s) who thinks that unnecessarily sending volunteer servicemen/women into harms way to suit their own political gains/needs is a good idea.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2