2012 UNT Football Roster Updates

DeepGreen

A bit of a catch-22, I agree...but between Brown this year, Byrd for 2, Jimmerson for 4...and I'll throw Mark Lewis in the mix...I think running back is far more secure than the secondary and if he can find his way on the field at either position, the team would be better served with it being at DB.

And your explanation for Konockus Sashington being moved from DB to RB is?

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone recall if Whitfield played any D while at Sherman?

Does anyone recall if Whitfield played any D while at Sherman?

Zac played his freshman thru junior seasons primarily on defense at Sherman as Wayman James (now at TCU) was the feature RB for the Bearcats. Zac took over at RB when James graduated.

• Upvote 5

Todd Dodge hangover to a certain extent - when he was in the death spiral he went heavy juco and that hurt our numbers. He also had a pretty fair amount of high school recruits who did not stay for a myriad of academic or other reasons. Mid majors, especially mid majors who sign a lot of jucos or high academic risks will go through this more often than power programs. Troy is a fairly good example and even Muts to a certain extent in our conference.

When Dodge was heading into his 4th year, I pointed out here and in other places that we were really hurting the UNT program, as well as the new coach that took his place and the opening of our new stadium. The reason was, Dodge HAD to win to save his job and he was willing to mortgage the future of the program to do it via juco. Dodge knew that he could not get it done with the players he had and could not get it done in time through high school recruits. My understanding was that the board did not want to eat two years of Dodge's contract (5 yr total), and by giving him the 4th year it allowed us to prop up compensation for his replacement. Did anyone really believe that Dodge was about to turn a corner in that final 4th year? When his assistants were leaving like rats from a sinking ship? Not really but since we needed him to stay so we could lure a better coach to replace him we went with it.

I still say if we had been able to payoff Dodge after year 3 and hire Mac we would be in a much better place right now. The argument to this is we didn't have the money to do it at the time and I think the student fees and when they were available may have come into this equation as well. I will agree with this, when Mac came on board we DRAMATICALLY enhanced our compensation package not just for Mac but for all of the assistants. So the outcome of giving Dodge a 4th year turned out good, it was just a year too late.

Before someone hits me for beating the Dodge horse let me say I liked the guy, he was a class act and so was his son. He just made some bad decisions that came back to haunt him and in turn this program. We are still trying to recover. That's why I am so ever so grateful to have Mac at the helm. GMG!

Mac ran some boys off too. I don't think they deserved to be playing, but they would be 4th & 5th year seniors now.
  • Upvote 2