BCS is dead: Presidents approve college playoff

UNTeagle88

by Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- College football will finally have a playoff. Come 2014, the BCS is

dead.

A committee of university presidents on Tuesday approved the BCS commissioners'

plan for a four-team playoff to start in the 2014 season.

The move completes a six-month process in which the commissioners have been

working on a new way to determine a college football champion. Instead of simply

matching the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the country in a championship game after the

regular season, the way the Bowl Championship Series has done since 1998, the new

format will create a pair of national semifinals. No. 1 will play No. 4, No. 2 will play No 3.

The winners will advance the national championship game.

The teams will be selected by a committee, similar to the way the NCAA basketball

tournament field is set.

There are still some details to work out, but all the decision-makers are on board.

http://www.ktvb.com/...-160450985.html

• Upvote 1

Thanks for posting. I feel good about this because it eliminates the BCS versus Non BCS which has given some teams an unfair advantage in recruiting. That said, some fairly dormant programs (TCU, Boise etc) were able to use the BCS system to their advantage and I hope that opportunity will remain in this new system.

More specifically, this move helps C-USA close the perception gap with the Big East in a big way. If we are up against SMU we have a much better story to sell with games in SA, Houston, Tulsa, New Orleans...they wanted the BCS label and now that is gone and that helps us.

Maybe I am just not comprehending this set up but it seems to me that this will play into the favor of the power conferences even more. In the past when Boise St beat OU in the Fiesta Bowl (the greatest game I have ever watched) they weren't rated in the top 4 so wouldn't have had that opportunity. In fact, at the end of the season, has Boise, TCU, Hawaii, Utah (pre Pac 10) ever been in the top 4? Last year the SEC had LSU and Alabama in the top 4, thus having half the teams in the playoffs if it were in effect then. Maybe somebody can explain it in a way that makes it where everybody has more of a fair shot at a NC.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Maybe I am just not comprehending this set up but it seems to me that this will play into the favor of the power conferences even more. In the past when Boise St beat OU in the Fiesta Bowl (the greatest game I have ever watched) they weren't rated in the top 4 so wouldn't have had that opportunity. In fact, at the end of the season, has Boise, TCU, Hawaii, Utah (pre Pac 10) ever been in the top 4? Last year the SEC had LSU and Alabama in the top 4, thus having half the teams in the playoffs if it were in effect then. Maybe somebody can explain it in a way that makes it where everybody has more of a fair shot at a NC.

You could be right; I suspect we will see how more more (or less) difficult it would be for a school like TCU to make it into the top 4.

If anything, however, this is a step in the bigger playoff direction.

You could be right but at least it's baby steps. I would expect that each conference would be represented in the selection of the Top 4. Also, it doesn't destroy the bowls so we'll still have post-season play. It will reduce to a degree the power of the SEC and Big 10. It will reduce the stigma of "Little Five" conferences as there are no AQ conferences. If this works and there are six to eight powerhouses that are continually getting excluded then the playoff number could be raised to eight or sixteen. Baby steps; but at least advancing in the right direction.

• Upvote 3

You could be right but at least it's baby steps. I would expect that each conference would be represented in the selection of the Top 4. Also, it doesn't destroy the bowls so we'll still have post-season play. It will reduce to a degree the power of the SEC and Big 10. It will reduce the stigma of "Little Five" conferences as there are no AQ conferences. If this works and there are six to eight powerhouses that are continually getting excluded then the playoff number could be raised to eight or sixteen. Baby steps; but at least advancing in the right direction.

Okay, you just said something that makes complete sense. If Ohio State, USC, Florida, Oklahoma, etc. keeps getting left out with the 4 team playoff, things will change in a hurry. An 8 or 16 team playoff does make sense to me.

• Upvote 4

Okay, you just said something that makes complete sense. If Ohio State, USC, Florida, Oklahoma, etc. keeps getting left out with the 4 team playoff, things will change in a hurry. An 8 or 16 team playoff does make sense to me.

Bear in mind that the contract for this four team playoff is ten years. So, even if UT gets left out year after year, it'll be ten years before that "problem" is rectified.

TCU will be just fine. They're in the Big XII now. So, if they run the table, they're just about guaranteed a spot.

Make no mistake, you could VERY EASILY have a situation like last season where Alabama and LSU are in this four team playoff. It was clear that Bama and LSU were 1 and 1a when it came to best teams in America. And you're mistaken if you think the SEC would have signed off on this if they wouldn't be allowed to send multiple teams. The "conference title" component was a concession, but I don't see it overruling strength of schedule, head to head wins, etc...all of which favor the SEC over everyone else.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This has probably been discussed already, but Boise may end up staying in the Mtn West with this news. A couple of news stories were tweeted today regarding this by the Cache Valley paper (Logan/Utah State). They never contractually left the conference, as I understand it and it seems the upside, if it was ever there, of moving to the Big East has been further compromised.

I am sure I have missed the full impact of the decisions today, but times still be interesting to me.

GMG

The real questions are how will the selection committee make its decisions and who gets to be on siad committiee. If it is full of the former "AQ" commissioners I do not believe a team like Boise or TCU would get in. In no way do I think this is a move to be more inclusive. If you are in C-USA or MTW you better have 3 top 25 wins out of conference and a boat load of public support behind you if you want in. The now big 5 conferences will always say how difficult there conferences are and that is reason enough to exclude anyone else.

• Upvote 3

The real questions are how will the selection committee make its decisions and who gets to be on siad committiee. If it is full of the former "AQ" commissioners I do not believe a team like Boise or TCU would get in. In no way do I think this is a move to be more inclusive. If you are in C-USA or MTW you better have 3 top 25 wins out of conference and a boat load of public support behind you if you want in. The now big 5 conferences will always say how difficult there conferences are and that is reason enough to exclude anyone else.

Thi$

Pretty much my fears with 4.

My only hope is 4 turns to 8, sooner than later.

Otherwise, they just effectively crushed the Boise/TCU-type dream.

So the BCS commissioners spent six months developing a plan to replace the BCS. (Mr. Manson the court has found you guilty. What will your punishment be?)

If you think you hated the BCS wait until this playoff sham begins.

• Upvote 3

This has probably been discussed already, but Boise may end up staying in the Mtn West with this news. A couple of news stories were tweeted today regarding this by the Cache Valley paper (Logan/Utah State). They never contractually left the conference, as I understand it and it seems the upside, if it was ever there, of moving to the Big East has been further compromised.

I am sure I have missed the full impact of the decisions today, but times still be interesting to me.

GMG

I had read this a few days ago as well. I think the deadline for them to officially leave is at some point this week. I wouldn't be surprised to see them stay in the MTW.

I had read this a few days ago as well. I think the deadline for them to officially leave is at some point this week. I wouldn't be surprised to see them stay in the MTW.

The deadline is Saturday (they need to notify the MTW before end 1 of July). Although the MTW could wave part of the fee in order to keep negotiating with Boise.

What speaks against them staying is that the MTW s appeal for inclusion in the AQ for the remaining 2 years was denied yesterday too. But I guess there are still some very good arguments to stay, most having to do with Boise not yet having found a home for their olympic sports... and the BE has not yet offered them to include those.

They may have removed the "AQ" tag, but this will end up being less inclusive than what we previously had with the BCS. At least we got a Boise-OU; Hawaii-Georgia every couple of years. They will NEVER "select" a team that is outside the power 4 conferences to participate in the playoff.

One question I still have is what happens to the remaining 2 ex-BCS bowls? With a 4 team playoff rotating between 2 of the BCS bowl sites (Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, Rose), how does the selection work for the 2 big bowls that are NOT hosting a semifinal game in a given year? If it goes back to simple selection process, then we've just regressed 20 years.

A 4 team play-off gives those choices to the NCAA good ol' boys network, but an 8 team play-off would re-introduce Cinderella into the mix once again. I think college football fans are intrigued by the Cinderella effect, too. Best bowl game I've still seen of late is the Boise State/OU Fiesta Bowl game a few years ago.

IMO, a 4 team play-off pretty well eliminates future Cinderellas because strength of schedule would be the killer every time and that is what the committee

will look at the most following the W/L records.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I see this as the camel sticking its nose under the tent. Four team playoff gives the non-power conference zero change to get in, but the fact that we have a playoff will pave the way for future expansion. It WILL happen when they realize the money will be huge.

By 2020, there will be talk of all conference champions receiving automatic bids.

Edited by UNTflyer
  • Upvote 4

I see this as the camel sticking its nose under the tent. Four team playoff gives the mom-power conference zero change to get in, but the fact that we have a playoff will pave the way for future expansion. It WILL happen when they realize the money will be huge.

By 2020, there will be talk of all conference champions receiving automatic bids.

This is exactly the way I've viewed this...here's to hoping it happens!

• Upvote 2

In fact, at the end of the season, has Boise, TCU, Hawaii, Utah (pre Pac 10) ever been in the top 4?

Yep, 2 years ago TCU finished the regular season undefeated and ranked #3 in the nation. Of course, they were not selected to play in the national title game, Unfortunately for TCU, Oregon and Auburn both finished the season 12-0.

A win over #24 ranked Oregon St. early in the season and a blow out win over #6 Utah (47-7) at Utah did nothing to convince the computers that TCU played a tougher schedule than Oregon. The only ranked teams Oregon played were teams inside the PAC 10. Their most impressive win was a 52-31 win at home against a Sanford team that went on to a 12-1 record and an Orange bowl win. Their only road victory against a team that was ranked at the time of the victory was at #24 ranked USC, who ended up with 5 losses on the season.

Of course, TCU ends up beating #4 ranked (and a very, very good) Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl to vindicate their claim to the national title game, while Oregon likewise plays #1 Auburn (undefeated in the SEC gets you automatic entrance into the title game, as it should) to a 22-19 game, vindicating their claim to the national title game.

Wouldn't it have been interesting to see that TCU defense take on Cam Newton?

What could have been...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2