UNT Lands Denton Guyer CB John Schilleci

Harry

Rubber weights are made in the same increments. Those are 45-pound plates.

45lb rubber plates look like the 100lb metal plates. They come in the same weights, but the rubber ones look like you are lifting alot more than you really are.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've used rubber plates many times before and in different places, and they've always been the same size as the all-metal plates.

Olympic lifts are done with rubber weights, and this is an Olympic lift. As for the actual weight, different weighted rubber plates (25 vs 45, for example) are all the same size, so you can't automatically say that 3 plates = 315 lbs like you can with the metal ones.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And rest easy, North Texas fans, Schilleci is already working on some of his Guyer teammates, including 2013 three-star wide receiver Ellis Jefferson and Jerrod Heard, who could end up being one of the top quarterback prospects in the country for 2014.

“That’d be extremely cool if a lot of local kids started going there [uNT],” Schilleci said. “I was talking with Jerrod and E.J. today. I think Jerrod is going to their camp pretty soon, and I thought how cool would it be if we all went there and [helped establish UNT’s program].”

This kid committing is cool in itself, but this other part makes me very happy in addition... Start chatting it up with some of the linemen. How about some DT's and DE's...I think there have been some really good ones from Denton over the past couple of years...

Edited by SHOSS
  • Upvote 6

Jordan Williams did this exact same thing when he committed to our b-ball team and I believe he was part of the reason we had such a good recruiting class last year. We need out commits to be vocal and call out other great players in the area to build up North Texas.

• Upvote 4

Just that while it looks like well over 300 lbs. if it were metal weights, rubber weights weigh much less than metal ones. So it would be much less weight was the point I was trying to make.

A 45lb. metal weight and a 45lb. rubber weight are typically the same size. Trust me, I run a health and wellness center and order these all the time. Now there are "training weights" that will be the same diameter but not the same thickness so they weigh less, but this is done to allow power lifts to be completed more easily.

• Upvote 1

Back on topic, this signing could be along the lines of the Jordan Williams basketball signing as cdizzle86 commented. Either way, I love the aggessiveness displayed in this young man's video and am pleased to have him on board. If he can persuade Heard and Jefferson to follow suit, then that would be icing on the cake!

And rest easy, North Texas fans, Schilleci is already working on some of his Guyer teammates, including 2013 three-star wide receiver Ellis Jefferson and Jerrod Heard, who could end up being one of the top quarterback prospects in the country for 2014.

“That’d be extremely cool if a lot of local kids started going there [uNT],” Schilleci said. “I was talking with Jerrod and E.J. today. I think Jerrod is going to their camp pretty soon, and I thought how cool would it be if we all went there and [helped establish UNT’s program].”

This kid committing is cool in itself, but this other part makes me very happy in addition... Start chatting it up with some of the linemen. How about some DT's and DE's...I think there have been some really good ones from Denton over the past couple of years...

Love that he is selling the program!

Guest Guest

You understand that whether they are metal weights or rubber padded weights (usually used for cleans) that a 45 lb metal weight and a 45lb rubber padded weight - weigh exactly the same.

You understand that whether they are metal weights or rubber padded weights (usually used for cleans) that a 45 lb metal weight and a 45lb rubber padded weight - weigh exactly the same.

The point is, you cannot tell from the video what the weights of the rubber plates are.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

BEDEMIR: What also floats in water?

VILLAGER #1: Bread!

VILLAGER #2: Apples!

VILLAGER #3: Very small rocks!

VILLAGER #1: Cider!

VILLAGER #2: Great gravy!

VILLAGER #1: Cherries!

VILLAGER #2: Mud!

VILLAGER #3: Churches -- churches!

VILLAGER #2: Lead -- lead!

• Upvote 2

The point is, you cannot tell from the video what the weights of the rubber plates are.

I can confirm those are 35's. I watched my son lift in this weight room this last spring where Guyer, Marcus and Hebron got their varsity football teams together for a informal showcase of team strength. My son is a DB and I thought I had just witnessed him putting up and incredible max of 365 on bench and 345 power clean when is best max was 305 and 285 respectively. After seeing some other parents milling around in the weight room, I went in to talk to my son to see what the heck and he pointed out the he only completed his best max of 305 and 285. The 35's look like 45's but are thinner. Not sure why they were stacking the 35's on everything they were doing but I was overwhelmed watching all of them from the outside looking in.

• Upvote 2

Here's an article on Rivals regarding early commits being good recruiters.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1381077

BEDEMIR: What also floats in water?

VILLAGER #1: Bread!

VILLAGER #2: Apples!

VILLAGER #3: Very small rocks!

VILLAGER #1: Cider!

VILLAGER #2: Great gravy!

VILLAGER #1: Cherries!

VILLAGER #2: Mud!

VILLAGER #3: Churches -- churches!

VILLAGER #2: Lead -- lead!

A Duck