Texas Football calls out the fake Lonnie finch

He only half-calls me out, if at all. He lists many QBs without Super Bowl rings. And, the two he lists got their rings on the strength of their arms.

If he thinks Kenny Stabler's legs got him his Super Bowl ring, I've got some oceanfront property in Nevada to sell him. Snake would get a good, hearty laugh out of that...sober or not.

Ken Stabler in 1976 was not Ken Stabler at Alabama in the mid-60s. In the grind it out NFL of the 1970s, Snake led the NFL with 27 TD passes in 1976...while rushing for -2 yards on 7 rushing attempts...in one season. Seven. Negative 2. Wholly laughable.

Maybe at a future a Raider reunion, Mark van Eeghan, Dave Casper, Cliff Branch, and Fred Biletnikoff can reminisce about how Snake's -2 yards rushing propelled them all to Super Bowl glory. Crazy.

Ditto on Steve Young. His 6 TD passes led the 49ers over San Diego in his only Super Bowl start. Steve Young whipped up 35 TDs and a 112.8 QB rating that year. That's 180 degrees different that anything Vince Young could ever dream of doing...if he even dreams about doing anything in football other than standing around with a clipboard and drawing a paycheck, which he can barely do these days. Buffalo. Harvard. Coastal Carolina.

So, I'm not really sure what the author's point is - to be wishful about Vince Young and Robert Griffin maybe? Other sharing a last name, Vince Young is not comparable at all to Steve Young as a quarterback.

And, Vince Young's Rookie of the Year award was nothing more than NFL PR. His rookie numbers were about the same as Blaine Gabbert's rookie numbers last year in Jacksonville.

Yes, I know, Gabbert apologists...Gabbert threw just as many (few) TDs as Vince and fewer INTs...and, didn't have a great defense like Jeff Fisher's Tennessee sqauds did to constantly bail him out of crappy performances. I get it. You don't have to lobby me in the great Vince Young versus Blaine Gabbert debate. I already understand both had bad rookie seasons, and that neither are really fit to start in the NFL. Truthfully, neither are likely fit to be back-ups.

Young, 2006: 184 of 357...51.5% completion rate (yes, barely over 50% in the 21st Century NFL..sad, I know)...2,199 yards...12 TD passes, 13 INTs.

Gabbert, 2011: 210 of 314...50.8% completio rate (somehow even more pathetic than Young's rookie year)...2,214 yards...12 TD passes, 11 INTs.

Gee, where was the outcry for Gabbert last year when he didn't win Rookie of the Year? Stupid. If there were any honesty in the NFL, the 2006 Rookie of the Year award would have been given to DeMeco Ryans (156 tackles, 3.5 sacks), Maurice Jones-Drew (941 rushing yards, 46 receptions, 15 totals TDs), or Marquis Colston (70 caches, 1,038 yards, 8 TDs).

The 21st Century NFL, though, often misses what is happening on the field due to marketing concerns - never let pedestrian on the field performance get in the way of good jersey sales. If only Jacksonville could have done more to pump up Gabbert's jersey sales....

I base what I say on history; the author bases his beliefs on what is happening in OTAs in shorts and whatnot. Maybe he can ask Colt McCoy. On game day, the James Harrisons of the world are not running around half-ass in shorts.

In the end, I do completely understand that an author in "Texas Football" is apt to leave rationality behind when speaking of former Texas college players. Perhaps this guy will someday lament that Roy Williams and Cedric Benson will not be on future NFL Hall of Fame ballots.

The NFL is the NFL. It will be as cruel to Griffin as it was to Vince Young. To the authors of "Texas Football" it seems that Todd Dodge's old "I don't have a college football plan or a high school footbal plan, but a football plan" would ring true. Football isn't the same as you move up the ladder.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

A multi-paragraph response to all the Gabbert apologists on GMG and/or Texas Football? What's next? Debating the future sack totals of Chris Clemons via an AV Club retro thread for season 3 of Alf?

That said, I was entertained.

• Upvote 6

You know, after re-reading the author's entire offering, I realize I made a mistake. For in a different part of his piece was this revealing bit of history:

"I spent far too many summer days sitting on the couch watching endless reruns of Hogan's Heroes and My Three Sons. Those were the days where kids only had 50 or so channels to choose from...."

This author's view of history - in football and, apparently, in pop culture in general - must begin with a reference point of about 1994. I can now see why he is able ignore history so easily and substitute OTA performances as the end of the argument. Here's to Robert Griffin III - King of the OTAs! And, to the poor kids who only had 50 channels to choose from!

I, therefore, apologize for answering the opinion of a kid who has likely not walked the face of our earth for even 25 years.

• Upvote 1

I, therefore, apologize for answering the opinion of a kid who has likely not walked the face of our earth for even 25 years.

Ironically, your opinions were about kids who had not likely walked the face of our earth for even 25 years.

• Upvote 2

Ironically, your opinions were about kids who had not likely walked the face of our earth for even 25 years.

I know...sadly, I know. And, I always tell my wife, the grayer I get, the happier I am because people in their 20s are less likely to begin conversations with me. Such an angst filled time, the 20s...and, so boring to hear about once you've already lived through them.

• Upvote 1

That he's a far better person than Vince Young, I guess is true. Vince may be a bad quarterback, but he's not sitting in a jail cell.

The NFL, though, is the NFL. It has eaten many "can't miss" college quarterbacks. Robert Griffin led lopsided losses his senior year to Texas A&M and Oklahoma State. Baylor squeaked by Kansas State, Missouri, and a ghastly Kansas sqaud. It took a last second pass to beat an injury riddled OU. And, they beat Texas due to the unusual circumstance of the 'Horns not being able to find a QB.

I'd say Griffin inherited the right set of consequences in 2011, many of them not of his own making. The perfect storm for him and Baylor. The more honest scouts went ahead and said he was risky. He is risky. And, more risky than most based on the few big wins he had over his career.

The NFL separates the men from the boys, and does it in a hurry. Washington is desperate to win. And, their owner is a certified idiot when it comes to meddling in his team. So, he also was the beneficiary of the perfect storm int he draft.

• Upvote 1

I think the funny thing is that you have already dismissed Griffin before he has even taken a snap. This young man is a far better quarterback and person than Young.

In fairness, Vince Young and Robert Griffin come from different backgrounds as for as family life and support are concerned. Griffin has a father who is very involved in his life, while Vince Young was not so fortunate. Maybe you should do some reading up on Vince Young's life before passing judgement.

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

That he's a far better person than Vince Young, I guess is true. Vince may be a bad quarterback, but he's not sitting in a jail cell.

The NFL, though, is the NFL. It has eaten many "can't miss" college quarterbacks. Robert Griffin led lopsided losses his senior year to Texas A&M and Oklahoma State. Baylor squeaked by Kansas State, Missouri, and a ghastly Kansas sqaud. It took a last second pass to beat an injury riddled OU. And, they beat Texas due to the unusual circumstance of the 'Horns not being able to find a QB.

I'd say Griffin inherited the right set of consequences in 2011, many of them not of his own making. The perfect storm for him and Baylor. The more honest scouts went ahead and said he was risky. He is risky. And, more risky than most based on the few big wins he had over his career.

The NFL separates the men from the boys, and does it in a hurry. Washington is desperate to win. And, their owner is a certified idiot when it comes to meddling in his team. So, he also was the beneficiary of the perfect storm int he draft.

It all depends on arm, intelligence, and confidence of the QB, and has very little to do with the legs.

I think RGIII will be fine because he has the above 3 qualities. Steve Young would have won 3 or 4 Superbowls if the most talented team in 20 years didn't happen to be in the same conference. He used his legs as a last resort. I think RGIII will be the same type of QB.

As a matter of fact, Steve Young is a much better comparison than Vince Young.

• Upvote 1

In fairness, Vince Young and Robert Griffin come from different backgrounds as for as family life and support are concerned. Griffin has a father who is very involved in his life, while Vince Young was not so fortunate. Maybe you should do some reading up on Vince Young's life before passing judgement.

My dad wasn't around as a kid...yet I've managed not to cause a disturbance in a Dallas strip club over not being allowed to make it rain or someone flashing a "horns down." I haven't pouted when the public criticized my work performance and haven't claimed DPD ownership was picking on me to side with my direct superior. So, sorry, that dog don't hunt

Look, I get it. You, much like the blog's author get butt hurt when someone criticizes a former member of the Austin cows. But let's not be so quick to shield a childish millionaire who is no, finally, understanding that talent counts outside of Austin, TX.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

How did a discussion on the significance of QB mobility regarding NFL titles turn into Fake judging someone's character?

Until RGIII or someone proves the trend wrong, history speaks for itself. You can enjoy consistent NFL success with a running QB, but if you want to win the whole bologna you gotta be able to sit back and fling it around.

• Upvote 1

I am well aware of Young's background having lived in Houston, Young's hometown, during his UT years and early years in the NFL. As emmitt stated, that is an excuse claiming his father wasn't involved.

Griffin was far more of a passer than a runner at Baylor, and, TFLF, claiming they squeaked by a few teams is ridiculous considering their weak defense was ghe cause of this and not Griffin's play. If it weren't for Griffin, Baylor would have finished below. 500. Compare Griffin's and Young's collegiate stats dor a more accurate comparison. By the way, compare their GPA's while you sre at it. I don't mean this as a shot at Young, who was a great college QB, but he and Griffin are as different as night and day.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

It shows that he didn't exactly dominate and put games far out of reach. He choked the fourth quarter of Texas A&M away with turnovers and sacks. The NFL will have much more staunch defenders than Texas A&M. By far.

As to Young, again, he's not sitting in a jail cell. Young had much more upside athletically than Griffin, but bought into his own press clippings and hype too much. Add to that he was drafted by an owner as a pet project to play for a coach who had no interest whatsoever in developing him. I like Jeff Fisher because of his "defense wins" mentality, but Vince really needed someone more grounded in offense philosophy. Fisher and Young were never going to click.

That's not to say Vince isn't culpable. He should have, for sure, nutted up and done everything Fisher and Chow asked him to do. Again, the guy had tremendous athletic talent, but bought his own hype. You can say the same for the other overhyped QB in that draft, Matt Leinart.

I joke about Vince being in Buffalo sitting behind QBs from Harvard and Coastal Carolina. But, the truth is, Chan Gailey is likely the right type of coach for him. In the slim chance that Vince ever gets to start again, Gailey will have him more prepared than other coaches. I think it's really Vince's last chance. He'll be 30 next year and really needs to buck up and develop what God gave him talent-wise.

Final note: Was e-mailed that the author of the piece is a Baylor grad. On top of being too young to grasp cultural concepts, then, he's also quite overheated on the subject of Griffin. We'll see how he survives NFL defenses...and Mike Shanahan's notoriously short fuse.

• Upvote 1

Young, 2006: 184 of 357...51.5% completion rate (yes, barely over 50% in the 21st Century NFL..sad, I know)...2,199 yards...12 TD passes, 13 INTs.

Gabbert, 2011: 210 of 314...50.8% completio rate (somehow even more pathetic than Young's rookie year)...2,214 yards...12 TD passes, 11 INTs.

Can we get a correction here? I'm no genius but I do know that 50% of 314 is 157(much less than 210). Are the percentages wrong or the completions?

• Upvote 1