Further CUSA Expansion On Hold 12-15 Months ?

MeanGreen61

Tulsa World article

The thing is, no one knows. And that makes it impossible to plan. Certainly, it's impossible to go ahead with a C-USA/MWC merger or even additional C-USA expansion.

"I think there's always a thought of mind that you can always get to 16 if you want to," Parmley said. "So we're kind of holding those last two spots to see what shakes out in other conferences over the next 12-15 months.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=231&articleid=20120617_29_B1_HOWCAN484740

• Upvote 1

Good article. BTW, Tulsa gets it. See how they play Oklahoma almost every year as their payday game? The only odd thing is that the don't play Oklahoma State who I am sure has been afraid to play them in past years.

I would like to see North Texas play, Texas or A&M as their payday game every year not LSU.

The current situation in the Big East - everybody but the new kids looking for an exit, Notre Dame's uncertain situation (they may have to join a conference to get access to the playoff), the basketball/football division - has everything on hold for now. With no BCS left, the case for Boise and SDSU moving has gotten a great deal weaker,too. Grab your popcorn.

• Upvote 3

Maybe they are holding those spots in hope of Houston and smu returning. And I couldn't agree with you more harry

I would like to see both of them return to C-USA, and it would probably make financial sense for all parties - but can you really, even in your most intoxicated state, see SMU moving back "down" to C-USA? The University of Houston I can see - but not SMU.

• Upvote 1

Good article. BTW, Tulsa gets it. See how they play Oklahoma almost every year as their payday game? The only odd thing is that the don't play Oklahoma State who I am sure has been afraid to play them in past years.

I would like to see North Texas play, Texas or A&M as their payday game every year not LSU.

Tulsa got a home & home with OSU. They played at OSU in 2010 and OSU came to Tulsa last year.

• Upvote 3

I would like to see both of them return to C-USA, and it would probably make financial sense for all parties - but can you really, even in your most intoxicated state, see SMU moving back "down" to C-USA? The University of Houston I can see - but not SMU.

They might not end up with any better options. Maybe I'll go have a four martini lunch and rethink the situation. :glare:

• Upvote 2

Yes, Tulsa can get Oklahoma State into their stadium. When Texas or Texas A&M is ready to play at Apogee, I'd be glad to make one of those a regular meeting.

I am glad C-USA is not expanding right now. Lets see how things work out, and then look at where teams are.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 2

Harry, its my understanding that L.S.U. and Alabama pay us quite a bit more thanTexas or Oklahoma. Don't know about A&M, as I only remember us playing them once in the past 50 years. Could be wrong.

• Upvote 1

Tulsa got a home & home with OSU. They played at OSU in 2010 and OSU came to Tulsa last year.

Whoa!! Wait a second. You can actually schedule 1 and 1's with a Big 12 contender?

Someone phone the AD. Quick. I don't think they know this information.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I think there are several things at play.

First, CUSA started out with a consensus to add two schools (FIU and UNT). The Alliance idea was still in play and two divisions of 10 playing 9 games was rather manageable.

Then MWC needed to kill the WAC in order to survive since it became apparent that the Alliance idea had some serious issues. Offering a lifeboat to UTSA and La.Tech then entered the equation.

That led to ECU and Marshall to oppose because they felt there was not sufficient accomodation in the east and UAB felt basketball was getting the short end of the stick. That led to Charlotte and ODU.

What was supposed to be a simple 2 team expansion mushroomed into six teams (remember WAC16 was supposed to be WAC12 and it took off).

From those I've talked to the sense is C-USA is not content at 14. There is belief that the Alliance concept of a large conference having greater bargaining power with TV still has merit but MWC is not the appealing partner it once was.

I am told models of 16, 18, and 20 are being discussed, 18 looks popular at this point. Timining is a significant issue because it needs to be done prior to signing the next TV deal but not so it overlaps with the ODU and Charlotte transition seasons because there could be two FCS added (James Madison and Delaware being most likely). The eastern schools supposedly would like to add JMU, UD, and FAU so that USM is in the west. With one school added in the West, supposedly UTEP wants New Mexico.

• Upvote 4

Whoa!! Wait a second. You can actually schedule 1 and 1's with a Big 12 contender?

Someone phone the AD. Quick. I don't think they know this information.

Tulsa has been a winner for a while now, so they have that on their side, unlike ourselves. Plus, the city of Tulsa has a lot of Sooners and Cowboys in it, so they give those alums a game in their city every so often. Think of it as the way Texas gives Rice a game in Houston every two years, which is really a gift to the Houston fans. Texas doesn't have to do that up here in Dallas because of the Texas-OU game every year. Basically, Tech has that now, too, with their annual Metroplex game against Baylor.

A&M is a whole other ball of wax, though. they have been frozen out of playing fellow Texas schools in the Big XII due to their defection to the SEC. This year, SMU is hosting the Aggies. A&M is very close to Houston, so they don't need any exposure down there, but up here is another story, especially since they will now play Arkansas home-and-home instead of at JerryWorld. If I were RV, I would be on the horn with the A&M AD immediately to talk about a series. The Aggies are going to need exposure up here, since they won't be playing other Texas teams in conference anymore. Sure, they could play Rice or UH, but that isn't a market they need to stay in, since they are an hour and a half away. UTEP probably isn't an option for them, either. But games against SMU and UNT here and UTSA or Texas State could be very reasonable options for the Aggies.

Actually, Tulsa signed a 1 for 2 series with OSU in 2010. At Stillwater in 2010 and 2016, in Tulsa 2011. Also Tulsa was at OU in 2009 and 2011 with a home game scheduled for 2014 and back at Norman in 2015.

Two for one games are not a good option for teams that want a balanced oc home schedule and need the financial boost of a guaranteed away game.

Actually, Tulsa signed a 1 for 2 series with OSU in 2010. At Stillwater in 2010 and 2016, in Tulsa 2011. Also Tulsa was at OU in 2009 and 2011 with a home game scheduled for 2014 and back at Norman in 2015.

Two for one games are not a good option for teams that want a balanced oc home schedule and need the financial boost of a guaranteed away game.

I think they're OK if you can get that caliber of a team, then turn around and sign a 2 for 1 (2 @ Apogee, 1 away) with a lower tier team. That balances out.

• Upvote 1

Tulsa has been a winner for a while now, so they have that on their side, unlike ourselves. Plus, the city of Tulsa has a lot of Sooners and Cowboys in it, so they give those alums a game in their city every so often. Think of it as the way Texas gives Rice a game in Houston every two years, which is really a gift to the Houston fans. Texas doesn't have to do that up here in Dallas because of the Texas-OU game every year. Basically, Tech has that now, too, with their annual Metroplex game against Baylor.

A&M is a whole other ball of wax, though. they have been frozen out of playing fellow Texas schools in the Big XII due to their defection to the SEC. This year, SMU is hosting the Aggies. A&M is very close to Houston, so they don't need any exposure down there, but up here is another story, especially since they will now play Arkansas home-and-home instead of at JerryWorld. If I were RV, I would be on the horn with the A&M AD immediately to talk about a series. The Aggies are going to need exposure up here, since they won't be playing other Texas teams in conference anymore. Sure, they could play Rice or UH, but that isn't a market they need to stay in, since they are an hour and a half away. UTEP probably isn't an option for them, either. But games against SMU and UNT here and UTSA or Texas State could be very reasonable options for the Aggies.

I like the idea, but if we were going to pimp out our geographic location, lets aim a little higher and get some quality national exposure. The Pac 12 really wanted Texas and OU. High profile Pac teams might be willing to play us in 1 and 1 series. USC or UCLA would bring great national exposure to Apogee. UCLA has already played Houston in a series, and Houston plays in Robertson. Washington State would be a great series. They are terrible right now, but Leach will turn them around, and I'm sure he would love to play in DFW for recruiting. An annual home and home series with WSU could become a great rivalry in the future. A rivalry that could help grow both university's programs.

• Upvote 2

I like the idea, but if we were going to pimp out our geographic location, lets aim a little higher and get some quality national exposure. The Pac 12 really wanted Texas and OU. High profile Pac teams might be willing to play us in 1 and 1 series. USC or UCLA would bring great national exposure to Apogee. UCLA has already played Houston in a series, and Houston plays in Robertson. Washington State would be a great series. They are terrible right now, but Leach will turn them around, and I'm sure he would love to play in DFW for recruiting. An annual home and home series with WSU could become a great rivalry in the future. A rivalry that could help grow both university's programs.

I like that idea. It could be the Lane Rawlins Bowl, since he has been president of both universities. Hey, throw Memphis in, too.

• Upvote 1

just for fun name some of those "lower tier teams" that would be willing to do that

besides D1-AA

Idaho and NMSU might be willing to take that offer right now. Though both might be FCS before too long.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There might be a few schools that recruit Texas and recently lost Texas (ie MWC...tcu) that might be willing to come here twice (just so they can tell a recruit that they'll get to play twice in their home state). However, I'm with you GL2G, I doubt there are many, if any, that would be willing to go 2-for-1 with us right now. I do believe that we should try landing some home and homes with a few bigger schools that want to recruit in TX (Pac12, B1G, ACC)

• Upvote 4

The only teams willing to do a 2 for 1 at our place would be NMSU, Idaho, and a big stretch here - Texas State. Texas State only if they saw value in coming to the Metroplex twice in three years and the opportunity to knock off a CUSA team in San Marcos every third year. I am shocked they got Tech to play at their place this year but maybe Tech saw the value in rewarding their hill country fans with a game. I just don't see TCU and SMU playing in San Marcos.

The question is would Texas State see value playing in the Metroplex against SMU, TCU with no return games greater than playing UNT with a return game every third year. If not, would a 3 for 2 work? They might see this as a good opportunity for their DFW fans and exposure against a team in a conference they want to be in.

The only other teams from the Sun Belt that recruits DFW pretty hard that I can think of is ULM and ULL. I can't see ULL doing it. I suppose ULM might be willing if it made sense for them.

The current situation in the Big East - everybody but the new kids looking for an exit, Notre Dame's uncertain situation (they may have to join a conference to get access to the playoff), the basketball/football division - has everything on hold for now. With no BCS left, the case for Boise and SDSU moving has gotten a great deal weaker,too. Grab your popcorn.

And if the rumors about a much smaller media deal are true, a media deal closer to that of the MWC and C-USA, then there is virtually no reason to join the BE. Crossing my fingers for a BE meltdown that could realistically see USF, UCF, SMU, UH and Memphis back in C-USA.

• Upvote 2

I think there are several things at play.

First, CUSA started out with a consensus to add two schools (FIU and UNT). The Alliance idea was still in play and two divisions of 10 playing 9 games was rather manageable.

Then MWC needed to kill the WAC in order to survive since it became apparent that the Alliance idea had some serious issues. Offering a lifeboat to UTSA and La.Tech then entered the equation.

That led to ECU and Marshall to oppose because they felt there was not sufficient accomodation in the east and UAB felt basketball was getting the short end of the stick. That led to Charlotte and ODU.

What was supposed to be a simple 2 team expansion mushroomed into six teams (remember WAC16 was supposed to be WAC12 and it took off).

From those I've talked to the sense is C-USA is not content at 14. There is belief that the Alliance concept of a large conference having greater bargaining power with TV still has merit but MWC is not the appealing partner it once was.

I am told models of 16, 18, and 20 are being discussed, 18 looks popular at this point. Timining is a significant issue because it needs to be done prior to signing the next TV deal but not so it overlaps with the ODU and Charlotte transition seasons because there could be two FCS added (James Madison and Delaware being most likely). The eastern schools supposedly would like to add JMU, UD, and FAU so that USM is in the west. With one school added in the West, supposedly UTEP wants New Mexico.

I could see JMU and UD, but what do you gain by adding New Mexico and FAU? Better off adding MTSU and Richmond.

• Upvote 1