I'll Just Put This Here...Enjoy

cl_1_2008

"At this level, everyone on the field is so fast," Dunbar said. "You have defensive ends and defensive tackles who can run 4.4s."

Yes. This is what Vince Young discovered...and Robert Griffin will soon discover. That's why there are no "running quarterbacks" with Super Bowl rings. Outrunning Iowa State's defensive ends is one thing...have Mario Williams, Demarcus Ware, and the like bearing down on you play after play is a completely different animal. You'd think owners and GMs would have figured that out by now. Most have.

• Upvote 2

Camp observations: Dunbar, Beasley catch eye

By: Todd Archer

ARLINGTON, Texas – The Dallas Cowboys closed the three-day minicamp at Cowboys Stadium and we will close out the observations for the offseason here with some thoughts. Fear not, the observations will be back when training camp begins.

Here we go: ** If there was an eye-catching player Thursday it was rookie RB Lance Dunbar. The North Texas product has speed and took the snaps that had been going to Phillip Tanner in the offseason. In one goal line run, Dunbar simply ran away from the defense to the corner of the end zone.

• Upvote 4

"At this level, everyone on the field is so fast," Dunbar said. "You have defensive ends and defensive tackles who can run 4.4s."

Yes. This is what Vince Young discovered...and Robert Griffin will soon discover. That's why there are no "running quarterbacks" with Super Bowl rings. Outrunning Iowa State's defensive ends is one thing...have Mario Williams, Demarcus Ware, and the like bearing down on you play after play is a completely different animal. You'd think owners and GMs would have figured that out by now. Most have.

Depends on how strict your definition is. Steve Young was often labeled as a running QB.

Comparing the skill sets of Vince and Robert is pretty dang silly. Other than the color of their skin, each bares very little resemblance to the other.

• Upvote 1

By the time Stabler got his ring, he had pretty much quit the whole running thing and had become a classic dropback QB. And Tarkenton never did get a ring.

Ah. I did not read carefully enough. Was assuming we were talking about great QB's. TFLF must be a lawyer or something burying these tricky clauses that I'm not keying on. :hair:

• Upvote 1

Ah. I did not read carefully enough. Was assuming we were talking about great QB's. TFLF must be a lawyer or something burying these tricky clauses that I'm not keying on. :hair:

Tip for the day--always read TFLF's posts at least three times before responding. Otherwise, he's liable to own your house, car, and firstborn child.

Oh, come on...my law degree came from a lower-tier school, Tulsa.

Anyway, many teams have drafted flashy, running college QBs. But, the guys with Super Bowl rings on their fingers have all stood in the pocket and taken their hits while delivering their championships...except way back in the 70s, when the defenses just grinded away at each other and tried to stop the run-based offenses.

And, Stabler, as researched yesterday: in 1976, the season he took Oakland to the Super Bowl - 7 rushes for -2 yards. The dude got there handing off to Mark van Eeghen and throwing to Hall of Famers Fred Biletnikoff and Dave Casper...plus Cliff Branch. With talent like that, Stabler, and his by-then shoddy knees, could have played in a wheelchair and won.

Remember, Jub-Jub always quotes Stabler when talking about how to succeed in the NFL as a QB. According the Stabler, the forumula is easy: "Get your ass on a good team!" Stabler was on some good teams.