McDorman to join UNT in July

Harry

"McDorman confirmed late Wednesday night that UNT’s coaches called him over the weekend to tell him that a spot in their class incoming recruiting class had opened up and that they wanted him to fill it."

This will be good for the depth. Who knows, he may open up some eyes?

GMG

Edited by mean green d
  • Upvote 1

I think this is great and I am sure Mike Nelson welcomes him with open arms. As I've stated here before Dorman is a big dude...I saw him on the sideline at some spring practices and he is impressive physically. My concern is he looks like a nose tackle to me. Nose is not as big a concern on this team as is defensive tackle. At nose we have Cantly and Abbe. As Vito pointed out in his DLine article, the 3 spot or D-tackle is a much bigger concern. We know Boutwell is a stud, but behind him is Alex Lincoln who will be good but is around 250 and probably should have redshirted last season. Lincoln will end up at 275 or more before all is said and done but for THIS season he's probably still a little undersized. Sir Calvin is also a nose and I'm guessing they want the Bull to be like Boutwell and play DT but as a true freshman you would love to give him a redshirt year to bulk up.

So again, I'm thrilled to see Dorman get in sooner but am not sure he addresses the 3 technique depth issue.

However this happened, I see it as very, very good news. For some reason, I had wondered if this would happen. Of course, not all the DT recruits (3?) will be ready to play this year, but it gives us a better chance to address that nagging depth problem at DT.

Oh, and as an old Wichita Falls boy myself, welcome to UNT, Dylan!

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1

You know there isn't a nose in this defense right? UNT runs an even front w2 dt and 2 de. The DTs are typically 3 techniques that sometimes move to head up 2s or possible 2i or 1s. But we do not have a nose in this d.

Yes - Im using the term nose to help identify which DT position I am talking about... It gets confusing otherwise.

The reason that McDorman had to Grayshirt was because we "oversigned". We can only bring in 25 players maximum with this incoming freshman class. Mr. McDorman (for whatever reason) was one that the staff asked to grayshirt so that other players can come in on scholarship right away.

The only way he would be able to join this year's class immediately is if one of the other incoming freshmen did not pan out. I suspect we will hear some news soon on who we lost.

The reason that McDorman had to Grayshirt was because we "oversigned". We can only bring in 25 players maximum with this incoming freshman class. Mr. McDorman (for whatever reason) was one that the staff asked to grayshirt so that other players can come in on scholarship right away.

The only way he would be able to join this year's class immediately is if one of the other incoming freshmen did not pan out. I suspect we will hear some news soon on who we lost.

This is my concern, I'm gald to be getting McDorman, but I'm concerned about which player didn't make it to Denton. Was it a spot they were holding for a QB?

This is a move that is equally as much about the 2013 season as much as it is the one upcoming IMO. In the back

of his mind, I'd wager Coach Mac is getting this program ready for our CUSA's inaugural season and McDorman

is just anothe piece of the puzzle to meet that objective.

I still wish Coach Mac would not completely abandon the JUCOS and maybe even find us a few Michael Pruitts out there

to plug into some much needed areas like DL has become without the depth and all. (Of course, Mike Pruitt did much

more than just plug into our defensive line back in the day).:)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

What I want is defensive tackles big enough to plug the line while linebackers and monster men make plays in the gaps. Is that too much to ask? It's what they do at OU and other places where their linebackers have ridiclously high numbers of tackles every season - D Line occupies the O Line, linebackers and safety make the plays.

Are we talkin' football here or whut?

• Upvote 2

What I want is defensive tackles big enough to plug the line while linebackers and monster men make plays in the gaps. Is that too much to ask? It's what they do at OU and other places where their linebackers have ridiclously high numbers of tackles every season - D Line occupies the O Line, linebackers and safety make the plays.

Would you take Boutwell out? Sir Calvin and Dylan will both be coming in bigger than Ryan.

Not sure this is good news at all. First, I doubt McDomand sees the field; NT actually has a lot of dts. They may not be as big or dominant as many want but Abbe, Cantly, Boutwell and Lincoln are a fairly experienced rotation plus Orr that has probably grown into a dt, plus three other true freshmen. McDomand would have gained a year to mature grayshirting. Plus the obvious, a ship opening up means someone is gone.

McDomand did seem like one of NT's better recruits, so I did wonder why he was selected to grayshirt. NT supposedly has two others grayshirting, so I guess McDomand was picked for a reason. I think he will be redshirted but who knows he maybe good enough to play this year.

This is not the NFL, size matters; but if a smaller player beats out bigger players, why lament he is not biggger. The Belt all conference 2011 first team defensive line included Joiner, 6'3 255 ASU; Massaquoi, 6'2 270 Troy; Smith, 6'5 251 WKU; and Smith 6'3 240 ULL. Funny thing, is everyone of these players played de, so I assume no dt in the league really greatly impressed the voters. The best teams in the Belt last year, DTs: FIU Pound 6'3 281, Facine 6'5 290; ASU Carrethers 6'2 310, Woods 6'3 265: WkU Martin 6' 290, Allen 5'11 282 and ULL Dean 5'11 283. Gaddoes 6'3 275.

Done of last years dt tandoms of the four best teams were as big as NT's current projected starters: Boutwell 6'3 275 and Abbe 6'4 305 ( guess Abbe is much lighter than last year) and the third man in the rotation; Cantly is bigger than any of them. NT defensive tackles are certainly big enough, the question is are they good enough.

Good stuff thanks for your info! You a coach? Glad to have you on here either way.

I agree Harry, with is size he could cause a lot of havoc in the middle of line and take up a lot of space similar to a Nose tackle. This may allow more flexibility in using your defensive ends especially if you have good speed at defensive end.

Would you take Boutwell out? Sir Calvin and Dylan will both be coming in bigger than Ryan.

For thesake of giving him a breather more often, yes. Many of these young guys who are undersized mess up their backs. All are tough and gamers. But, the more bodies you have to throw in there who can do the job, the better.

Our problem is depth at DT. And, when you have depth problems at DT, you have kids getting their ass worn out after four quarters. Boutwell is more than capable. But, if we can rotate more at DT, he'll be more effective all the way around.

• Upvote 1

Not sure this is good news at all. First, I doubt McDomand sees the field; NT actually has a lot of dts. They may not be as big or dominant as many want but Abbe, Cantly, Boutwell and Lincoln are a fairly experienced rotation plus Orr that has probably grown into a dt, plus three other true freshmen. McDomand would have gained a year to mature grayshirting. Plus the obvious, a ship opening up means someone is gone.

McDomand did seem like one of NT's better recruits, so I did wonder why he was selected to grayshirt. NT supposedly has two others grayshirting, so I guess McDomand was picked for a reason. I think he will be redshirted but who knows he maybe good enough to play this year.

Very valid point about Orr...he was 260 last I heard. He could blow up over this summer.

For thesake of giving him a breather more often, yes. Many of these young guys who are undersized mess up their backs. All are tough and gamers. But, the more bodies you have to throw in there who can do the job, the better.

Our problem is depth at DT. And, when you have depth problems at DT, you have kids getting their ass worn out after four quarters. Boutwell is more than capable. But, if we can rotate more at DT, he'll be more effective all the way around.

Oh, for depth, I totally agree that McDorman is certainly big enough for the part... Who knows if he has the skill to contribute right away.

I guess I mis-understood what you meant when you said you were looking for big DTs to occupy OLinemen as if what we currently have is not good enough. My bad.