Friday Night Lights Movie?

Got this off the UT board:

Link

I think the article there is wrong because it seemed like Bissinger chronicled the 88 season, not 85.

Friday Night Lights is my favorite book and I hope they keep it as close to the book as possible. It has the potential to be great, but probably won't be. Maybe I'm just soured by how far Junction Boys strayed.

It was the 88 season.

Someone should write about the Ft Hancock Mustang run in the mid 80's / Early 90's.

Texas Six Man Championship

------

1986: Fort Hancock 50, Christoval 36

1988: Fort Hancock 76, Zephyr 30

1989: Fort Hancock 48, Jayton 24

1990: Fort Hancock 66, Christoval 17

1991: Fort Hancock 64, Christoval 14

1992: Panther Crk 54, Ft. Hancock 26

This town of

I would vote for the '83 Daingerfield Tigers 16-0 run. They were 3A and gave up a 2 point conversion in the first game of the season to a 4A team that made it deep into the 4A playoffs that same year. So they went 15-0 without being scored on. If I remember correctly nearly 6 players off that same Tiger team made it into the NFL. To this day they are THE BEST highschool team that I have personally seen play. They were the dominant force in Texas in 3A in the 80's until they handed it off to Southlake Carrol. Before that year, the town of Daingerfield had just started to come out of and put behind them one of the worse tragedy's in Texas in which some nut case college professor walked into one of the towns' most popular churches during a Sunday service with an automatic rifle and killed/wounded several. Plus the area was in hard times due to layoffs and poor economy. Dale Hansen did a special about the team and town during they're '83 run that year and it was an emotional experience to see how the town looked to their team for support, and gave back all they could as well.

Rick

I agree, people say Friday Night Lights is about small town football.  Odessa Permian is not small town football, it's almost a business there.

In Texas, small town football IS a business...

Don't get me wrong, I loved Friday Night Lights, mostly because the description Mr. Bissinger gave of Permian was dead on, which a lot of people in Odessa didn't like. The personal threats and harassment Bissinger went through from some of the citizens of Odessa in the aftermath of the book was WAY off base, in my opinion. Some people just can't stand to look in the mirror, I guess.

What Mr. Bissinger pointed out in the book is that there are a lot of positive things that a football program like Permian's can bring out in its players, coaching staff, supporters and town...unfortunately, there are just as many negatives, too.

I have a feeling some of the same issues that came about after the book's release will rise to the surface again after the movie is released, no matter what type of treatment the movie gives the book.

I loved Friday Night Lights, I think because I could relate to it so well. Ask any guy that played football for a 5a power during the 80's and they would say the same thing.

Friday Night Lights was about Oddessa but it could have been almost the same book in several Texas towns.

BTW, This is not exclusive to Texas. I highly recomend the documentary film "Go Tigers" Pretty much Friday Night Lights except its in Massilon OH.