We Should Offer Collin Bowen (Amarillo) QB

This kid is 6'3-6'4 195 lbs. ....has a serious arm and serious speed. Dual threat to boot. He broke his collar bone last year after the eighth game of the season. Not before posting 1k Rushing and 1k Passing yards and 26 touchdowns.

He has zero offers at this point.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/765811/highlights/8537385

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Collin-Bowen-134152

http://247sports.com/Article/Elite-11-Dallas-Top-Performers-67198

http://alabama.scout.com/a.z?s=14&p=8&c=1&nid=6109279

10633983.jpg

10633906.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Saw where this kid was accepting a preferred walk on at TxSt. Two time District Off MVP i hear a great kid who will work his ass off. Watched him play in best HS game I've seen in a while Randall v. Amarillo HS and was a playmaker. Thought for sure he would have some FBS interest. Pictured him as Snider's KSU next coming of the Klein kid. Sure would be nice to have some kids like this walk on at UNT.

So we want this guy over a QB who will be recruited out of HS next year? We don't have a clue who UNT could get next year. You only need 1 QB per class... if that.

No, you absolutely need one qb per class. Some don't pan out, some transfer out, etc.

If you don't get a solid qb every class you end up starting a quarterback like Thompson and having a true freshman who had no other offers (Mcnulty) as a back-up. Not trying to get back into the qb debate, but quarterback is the last position you want to be thin at.

That being said, yes we do need to get a quarterback in this class, just not Bowen as a grayshirt. You have to think if Berglund has a successful year and shows off the system, we will be able to attract another decent qb.

• Upvote 1

No, you absolutely need one qb per class. Some don't pan out, some transfer out, etc.

If you don't get a solid qb every class you end up starting a quarterback like Thompson and having a true freshman who had no other offers (Mcnulty) as a back-up. Not trying to get back into the qb debate, but quarterback is the last position you want to be thin at.

That being said, yes we do need to get a quarterback in this class, just not Bowen as a grayshirt. You have to think if Berglund has a successful year and shows off the system, we will be able to attract another decent qb.

Right. But, technically, with this class we got 2 QBs (Berglund & Williams). Do we need to bring in a 3rd? Or, grayshirt this particular kid and have him as the QB for next year's class when we haven't even seen the options?

• Upvote 1

Right. But, technically, with this class we got 2 QBs (Berglund & Williams). Do we need to bring in a 3rd? Or, grayshirt this particular kid and have him as the QB for next year's class when we haven't even seen the options?

Yes, we made up for not signing a qb in 2012 by getting one with 3 to play 3 (Berglund) and a high school qb (Williams).

I was agreeing that we should not have offered Bowen a grayshirt opportunity, but I was replying to the statement that we should only sign 1 a class, if that. I was replying to the "if that" part of the statement.

I believe we must sign a qb every class to keep depth at the position. Basically my point was that just because we signed 2 qbs this class doesn't mean we can take a year off and afford to not get a qb this class. I think we should go after a 2014 quarterback rather than grayshirt a 2013 qb who had no other offers.

Generally, that's true. But we found ourselves in the position of not signing a single QB in the class of 2012 and still having to force out another QB off of the roster to make room.

Yeah, that's thanks to the fact that we signed 2 qbs this year and Mac only wants 4 qbs on scholarship. By only wanting to have 4 qbs on scholarship, they have to be good.

We are good quantity wise, I'm just not sure how good we are quality wise after Berglund. Our other 3 qbs (Thompson, Mcnulty, Williams) had a combined one other scholarship offer (Williams had a La Tech offer according to Vito). Thompson and Mcnulty had none and we've seen why to this point in their careers.

My point to all this is that we have one qb spot open in the 2014 class and that's because Thompson will be gone after this year. I'd rather save it for a legitimate D1 prospect than grayshirt Bowen (who had no other offers) and use up our qb scholarship for the class on him.

Who knows, maybe Berglund is lights out this season and makes our system seem attractive to a top-notch high school prospect.

Not that it really matters at this point but Bowen's high school coach says he was offered by several D1 both FBS and FCS and numerous D2 schools as both a QB and athlete but none that the kid was excited about so he is pursuing a school where he wants to play. He attended Apogee UNT camp last summer so he must have had some interest. Don't personally know the kid but live in Amarillo and watched him a few times and followed his high school career and have little doubt he can play at the D1 level. Best skill player in the area this past season. As a UNT fan just thought it would be cool to have a local kid play at UNT. My original post was simply noting that some kids will walk on for a school that they like and to get some of these kids at no initial scholarship expense is a no lose deal. They don't pan out and cost nothing or they prove themselves a earn an opportunity. Then again, based on our history, Mac may have no idea a non-Denton area kid would actually walk on for the Mean Green.

Not that it really matters at this point but Bowen's high school coach says he was offered by several D1 both FBS and FCS and numerous D2 schools as both a QB and athlete but none that the kid was excited about so he is pursuing a school where he wants to play. He attended Apogee UNT camp last summer so he must have had some interest. Don't personally know the kid but live in Amarillo and watched him a few times and followed his high school career and have little doubt he can play at the D1 level. Best skill player in the area this past season. As a UNT fan just thought it would be cool to have a local kid play at UNT. My original post was simply noting that some kids will walk on for a school that they like and to get some of these kids at no initial scholarship expense is a no lose deal. They don't pan out and cost nothing or they prove themselves a earn an opportunity. Then again, based on our history, Mac may have no idea a non-Denton area kid would actually walk on for the Mean Green.

Maybe, but I find it hard to believe that someone would turn down scholarship offers to walk-on at Texas State. I don't know, maybe his family has money and it doesn't matter, but I find that hard to believe.