Hudspeth Has Cajuns On Track For Gridiron Greatness

Harry

The college football world is spilling over with intriguing stories each and every season, but none more compelling than the 2012 ULL Ragin' Cajuns.

Are they on the verge of becoming the next Boise State? Lofty expectations may be emerging in Lafayette, but the programs possess many similarities including stadiums, fan support and location. The Cajuns, some feel, have a head coach that resembles Boise State's Chris Peterson.

Under first year coach Mark Hudspeth, the Ragin' Cajuns made their only bowl appearance in the last 41 seasons and had not tasted postseason success since 1941. After a surprising 9-4 finish last fall following a 3-9 in '10, the Cajuns enjoyed an exhilarating 32-30 last second win over San Diego State in the R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl. Now the program seems poised to make major strides on the college football map.

"We're now the hunted; we're on everybody's radar. That's where we want to be," explained Hudspeth.

Read more: http://www.sportsnola.com/sports/local-sports-news/ull-news/585533-hudspeth-has-cajuns-on-track-for-gridiron-greatness.html

Well, he does have LaLa headed in the right direction and in the Sunbelt in the coming years the Ragin' Cajuns may well be the "hunted"...we'll have to read about that as the Mean Green will be long gone from the Sunbelt. I'm really happy for the long suffering fans of the Ragin' Cajuns as they are always nice when visiting teams come to town and have certainly made me feel welcome. It seems way past time for these guys to turn this long suffering program around. Good luck to the Ragin' Cajuns...except, of course, when the Mean Green takes 'em on in the last year of Sunbelt play for the Mean Green.

I"m trying to remember which conferences were falling all over themselves to get Louisiana into the fold. Big East? They do fit into the the Big East's Continental North American footprint.

On a side note, I'm wondering why the Big East hasn't invited the Canadian college football programs in the conference.

If playing good football were a primary consideration, UNT, UTSA, and Charlotte would not be C-USA bound.

ULL and ASU are clearly the class of the Belt at this point. Edge to ULL in 2012.

• Upvote 1

I"m trying to remember which conferences were falling all over themselves to get Louisiana into the fold. Big East? They do fit into the the Big East's Continental North American footprint.

On a side note, I'm wondering why the Big East hasn't invited the Canadian college football programs in the conference.

They need to settle on a name that is acceptable to all so potential conferences would not have a need to address mail to "Occupant".

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 1

If playing good football were a primary consideration, UNT, UTSA, and Charlotte would not be C-USA bound.

ULL and ASU are clearly the class of the Belt at this point. Edge to ULL in 2012.

The SBC is so volatile though that one never knows. ULL and ASU could fall flat next season, or could repeat their success from last season.

• Upvote 1

Funny how "every" program that is small (compared to the Big 6 schools) and has some success, is compared to Boise. Everybody is the next Boise! LOL In Hud's defense, he didn't make the comparison; but simply said it's nice to be compared to Chris Peterson and the Boise program. We (the Cajuns) are no where close to being like Boise. That said, like so many, we believe we have the environment and resources to be competitive in a Boise-like fashion. The hard part is reeling in the long-lost Cajun fans who turned to LSU football (in particular) while our program was practically abandoned by the last University President. It will take time to recover from that neglect; but we have good leadership in place now to make that push. Hopefully we can keep Hud around for a few years to build a solid foundation.

That said, Boise put their entire focus into football; at the expense (IMO) of the remainder of their program. And there are some things I would certainly NOT like to be compared to Boise in; for instance, academics! :<)

Edited by Shof
  • Upvote 1

UL has not had enough long term success to be compared to any school now, but they sure do draw football fans when they win.

Their first major goal to accomplish rather than being the next Boise should be to try to be the first school in SBC history to get a Top 25 ranking.

Of course, were they to do that then the Boise comparisons would be forth-coming.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

What makes me mad is there were so many things in our game against them last year that - had we executed - could have led to a win for us. I am happy to see their success though...they are one of my favorite teams in the Belt.

Having attended last year's ULaLa game I can assure you that we were not overmatched even w/o DT, our best QB. We were still very much in the game in the early 4th quarter before the largest crowd in LaLa history. The lack of speed in our secondary became obvious as DBs who timed at 5.2 in the 40 in pro trials( Coach Mac at one of the caravans said he could outrun our DBs) could not keep up with faster ULL receivers. I do have to agree with KRAM that LaLa fans are the best in the SBC. I hope we can treat them to as great hospitality when they come here this year as they did us last year at their place. It was Cajun Fest and they all invited us to stay over and celebrate it with them. They even sent jumbalya to our tailgate.

Having attended last year's ULaLa game I can assure you that we were not overmatched even w/o DT, our best QB. We were still very much in the game in the early 4th quarter before the largest crowd in LaLa history. The lack of speed in our secondary became obvious as DBs who timed at 5.2 in the 40 in pro trials( Coach Mac at one of the caravans said he could outrun our DBs) could not keep up with faster ULL receivers. I do have to agree with KRAM that LaLa fans are the best in the SBC. I hope we can treat them to as great hospitality when they come here this year as they did us last year at their place. It was Cajun Fest and they all invited us to stay over and celebrate it with them. They even sent jumbalya to our tailgate.

DallasGreen, 164%. Without our starting QB and banged up DL, they had trouble putting us away until late last year. Louisiana is no juggernaut.

I extend Lousiana the courtesy of being called Louisiana now, since that's what they want to be called. That's just general respect. But...let's plug into reality when it comes to football - we'd have beaten them last year with even a hint of decent QB play, and we're likely to run roughshod over them this year if fully healthy.

• Upvote 1

Hope this doesn't repeat!

@ DallasGreen. The game in Lafayette last year was a great crowd! 32,823 reported attendance. Pretty sure that is the top Sunbelt conference game crowd. It was our top home attendance crowd last year; but comes in at #5 all-time. 2009 we hosted Southern University. Crowd was 41,357; much of which was due to Southern fans as they travel VERY well! We've hosted Texas A&M (38,783) and Alabama (36,133), and our old-time rival McNeese (33,828) in 2007. That said, for a Sunbelt conference game, the one with you guys was outstanding. Hoping I can make it up to Denton this season to see your new digs! Hope both teams are healthy. Should be a good game.

Shof

• Upvote 1

Count me amongst those that will be rooting for the Cajuns this year (outside of playing us). Having them represent the conference in the New Orleans bowl is probably the best case scenario for the league. They posted 42-44k attendance in a game against a West Coast based team that likely didn't bring more than a couple thousand!!

Unlike TFLF, though, I'm not calling for us to run roughshod against anyone who has a decent QB and receiving corp this year---our entire secondary is newcomers!! Granted, they might actually be improved athletically over last year's group---but it's not likely that they'll be better.

• Upvote 1