New LB Commit Calvin Minor from Lewisville

I LOVE to see these kids who run track. Since we are still in the phase of our progam's growth where we can't snag the kids who are already prototypical size and strength is it awesome to see us go out and get the one thing that you can't coach up or grow...speed!!!

• Upvote 2

I don't like how under-the-radar he seems, but if you're looking for a project guy...this is it.

You get a kid that can flat out fly, with a frame that can be filled up in college and IMO you have a recipe for big contributor down the line.

The biggest question mark for me is, how are his football "instincts"? Any one see this kid play that can vouch for his intangibles?

• Upvote 1

I don't like how under-the-radar he seems, but if you're looking for a project guy...this is it.

You get a kid that can flat out fly, with a frame that can be filled up in college and IMO you have a recipe for big contributor down the line.

The biggest question mark for me is, how are his football "instincts"? Any one see this kid play that can vouch for his intangibles?

Let's see how he does his senior season before worrying too much. I like the speed and size. The rest can be coached.

• Upvote 1

NT started recruiting offering a lot of highly sought guys and now is apparently going after the lightly recruited with big upsides. No matter what you think of the two commits, I don't think this is a good sign. McCarney has much more to sell than any other NT staff. It is time to start winning some recruiting battles and not relying almost entirely on identifying the best of players available were there is little competition.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

NT started recruiting offering a lot of highly sought guys and now is apparently going after the lightly recruited with big upsides. No matter what you think of the two commits, I don't think this is a good sign. McCarney has much more to sell than any other NT staff. It is time to start winning some recruiting battles and not relying almost entirely on identifying the best of players available were there is little competition.

Who says that we aren't trying for the highly touted recruits? We just got commits from guys who didn't have other offers right now. The guys you are talking about are not as likely to commit to us this early in the process. I think we should wait before we say that the coaches have failed to recruit highly rated prospects.

• Upvote 3

For real! It's time we start winning those battles against UT, LSU, Penn State, and the rest of the major BCS players.

I don't see how you look at getting these two recruits as a bad sign. Of course I'd love to have 4* players on board, but that's not where we are as a program. Look at who we offered and where they've gone, it's not as though we're losing battles to ULM, UTSA or Rice. I think it's a wee bit early to call this class a bust bc the 2 kids we have now don't have other offers before the start of the summer before their senior years.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

You can coach technique...you can't coach speed. You cannot turn a slow guy into a fast guy. You can turn a fast guy into a football player...anyone else remember Bob Hayes?

One reason the Mean green lost so many games in the last few years is that the team as a whole WAS SLOW! I mean real slow....so, give me a little speed and I'm thinking the rest Coach mac and Co. can take care of...no, I am not talking about a kid who cannot spell football and has no experience. You know what I mean here.

And, if you think Coach Mac and Co. is not going after the highly recruited guys as well...you are sadly mistaken. If anyone here thinks that after one year and a 5 win season that 4 & 5 star recruits are going to be flocking to UNT, you are NUTS! It's a process...UNT will get "left at the alter" more often than not right now with these highly rated guys, but UNT IS recruiting them...and that's a start. Just because UNT is now a CUSA team and that certainly does help...it will not open the flood gates to tons of 5 and 4 star guys! Patience grasshopper, patience. What I want is progress...positive progress and I saw that last year and I have seen that in spring ball this year...we'll see how the recruiting battles play out and we'll all get to judge success on the field.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Seems like he'd be a fine Sunbelt project player. Is Mac that great of a recruiter?

I hate to tell yall this but 3*+ LB's don't grow on trees. In the state of Texas there are only 20 LB's rated 3* or higher with 10 of them already committed. With those commits going to UT, UCLA, A&M, TCU, Baylor and Cal. No Rice, TXST, UTEP, Tulsa or even Arkansas on the list.

So let's tap, scratch that, lets slam on the brakes on all this bogus recruiting talk. Slow your roll peeps. slow. your. roll.

• Upvote 2

Okie dokie. Since we'll never be able to play with the big boys in recruiting... lets all just be happy with early signings of deep deep diamond in the rough kinda guys! Maybe one or two of them will be able to put on the size required to play Conference USA ball!! Maybe some of them won't leave/quit the program early!! Times are good!!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

Dickey employed a similar high school prospect focused strategy as Mac. Dickey arrived at UNT in 1998. It took him until 2001 to break out with a .500 team that became bowl eligible and in many ways that 2001 season was an amazing turnaround starting 0-5? Mac got here and had to hire his staff and throw a class together at the last minute. The last signing class was an improvement. My point is it took Dickey 4 years to build a championship roster and that was in a fairly watered down Belt. I bear no grudge against Dodge but he and his high school assistants ran this program into the ground. It's going to take time to mend those fences. C-USA is a big boost but even that takes some time for the average prospect and their family to digest and understand.

I was previously not a fan of the early commits but after our experience with linebacker Jerrian Roberts last year I'm starting to warm up to it. In hindsight, Roberts probably wouldnt have ended up signing with us had we not given him a security blanket early when others did not. Dickey could not do this because our negatives (piss poor facilities, revolving door of quality assistants, conference without a Texas team etc) made our early commits sitting ducks. Now with Apogee, The Athletic Center, MG Village -- we have more insulation to hold on to early commits and make that strategy work. I still submit that our best proven prospects will be landed closer to signing day as prospects realize Texas and A&M etc are all done and reality sinks in.

Okie dokie. Since we'll never be able to play with the big boys in recruiting... lets all just be happy with early signings of deep deep diamond in the rough kinda guys! Maybe one or two of them will be able to put on the size required to play Conference USA ball!! Maybe some of them won't leave/quit the program early!! Times are good!!

Face/palm

Do you follow recruiting? Like really really follow recruiting? Yes, it would be great to go up against the big boys, but it's not happening. Not now at least and not for several years down the road, if we produce on the field. Tell me, what do we have that would make a kid come to UNT over OU/UT/LSU/TCU/Baylor/OK St?????

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am encouraged Mac and staff are on these guys first!!!! I like that Mac and staff know who they want and go get them. They signed 2 LB's with size and speed. Let me repeat that - they signed 2 LB's with size AND speed.

These two recruits will be courted and offered by other programs. The fact that we were in on them first is a great sign.

Patrick Cobbs is another player we were in on first and because of that we were able to fend off Oklahoma State who offered late in the process.

• Upvote 1

Maybe some folks need to iron the rinkles out of their $100 bills. 2 under the radar recruits with speed and proto-type frames to add needed bulk is not exactly a Debbie Downer event. These kids still have a year in high school to develop their skills at LB. Finding under the radar kids like this helped TCU build their program.

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 1

Face/palm

Do you follow recruiting? Like really really follow recruiting? Yes, it would be great to go up against the big boys, but it's not happening. Not now at least and not for several years down the road, if we produce on the field. Tell me, what do we have that would make a kid come to UNT over OU/UT/LSU/TCU/Baylor/OK St?????

Face/palm

Where did I say I wanted to be competing with OU/UT/LSU/TCU/Baylor/OK St????? I just don't agree with the mindset of zeroing in on deep project kids who barely played their junior year this early in the process. You talk like its either sign 3 star recruits over the likes of Big 12/SEC competition or little diamond in the rough kids no one else has heard of. That is where I disagree.

I hope the kid turns out great, maybe he will. From now on I'll just pretend to be thrilled with every new commit.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

You've called this young man and the young man from Paris "deep deep diamond in the rough kinda guys" and "Sun Belt projects." Have you seen either of these young men play? Have you talked to their coaches? Do you make your living evaluating football talent? Just trying to figure out how you decided these guys are such projects.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4