Coach Forrest resigns from LSU

NT03

This happens all too frequently. Most AD's and HC's don't care and don't check. I have had several instances where this had to be corrected. If this is true, it was probably the result of someone outside of the athletic department discovering it. A number of years ago, UALR was caught with an academic administrator claiming to have a PhD and not having it. It was an interesting, but long, story on how this was caught. I know of another case where a guy was caught claiming to have two PhD's. The funny thing was he did have one and had no need of having a second one. You would be surprised how difficult it is sometimes to get official transcripts for coaches.

• Upvote 3

This happens all too frequently. Most AD's and HC's don't care and don't check. I have had several instances where this had to be corrected. If this is true, it was probably the result of someone outside of the athletic department discovering it. A number of years ago, UALR was caught with an academic administrator claiming to have a PhD and not having it. It was an interesting, but long, story on how this was caught. I know of another case where a guy was caught claiming to have two PhD's. The funny thing was he did have one and had no need of having a second one. You would be surprised how difficult it is sometimes to get official transcripts for coaches.

I know that obtaining official transcripts requires a little more hoop jumping, but I've been under the impression that confirming actual degrees is pretty much a slam dunk these days most everywhere. Hope things work out well for him.

• Upvote 1

Forrest didn't necessarily give false information to UNT. Does anybody know what he had on his resume prior to being hired by us?

Forrest received a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff in 1998 and a Masters of Education from Troy in 2000.

http://www.meangreen...ATCLID=1505194.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

We are all gong on speculation at this moment. The sad part of this if true, is I doubt anyone cared if he had a masters or not. They do care about lying on a resume. I never thought he was ever considered for the NT hc job, but it had nothing to do with character. It takes a lot more than a positive relationship with players to be a good coach and he had little experience beyond recruiting that I could determine.

He won't be out of a job long. Schools pay guys like Forrest for recruiting not coaching or ethics.

• Upvote 3

I've got a good friend at work, who has a master's from Troy. He did the whole thing online from here in Texas. In fact he has never taken any pride in that degree, and never comes up to watch Troy when they play us. I think he only got the thing to qualify for a raise, and Troy was the easiest and cheapest program avalible. It's sad that Forrest is being taken down by a degree that has no impact on his talent as a coach. What a bad choice. I do agree, how is it that we didn't catch it? Did he claim to earn it after he was already hired by UNT?

• Upvote 2

My main and personal concern here is that he lied! Why? Seems to me that he would have no reason to do so. The guy has a bachelor's degree and can coach basketball. Seems to me that's what matters in coaching. So, where is the motivation to lie about a Master's Degree? My guess....it started as being listed that he was working on a Master's and over time got "changed" to reflect completion of that degree and he never changed it even after he saw it...may have happened when posted to some web site...who the heck knows. But, lying is still a BIG DEAL to me....yes, i know...even in this day and age. But, when I see lying about something, I wonder what else is being hidden. Not a good thing. I do think he will find another coaching job fairly quickly as the guy can coach basketball. A role model in honesty he may not be, but he can coach basketball. The next school will know what they are getting and he'll probably not make this mistake a gain. I am sure JJ was not happy.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Coach Forrest was here 4 years and North Texas didn't catch it. Forrest is at LSU for 4 weeks and they pick it up.

The maintanence man at work today asked what the latest was at UNT. I told him about Forrest and mentioned that they took 4 weeks to uncover what we could not uncover in 4 years. He is a native of Louisiana and said "What makes you think it was LSU that found it out? They are in the SEC man, not the Sunbelt."

• Upvote 2

Just a thought, here. Any chance of bad blood over the Odoh decommit? Maybe a phone call to LSU by someone in the know on the degree deal?

This is complete conjecture on my part, but college athletics is a dirty ass game.

I guess it's possible that we discovered it during the head coach vetting process and neglected to bring it up. Who knows. Certainly not me.

• Upvote 1

Our compliance people check coaching resumes? I think that is a HR function.

I was waiting for somone to mention this. This IS NOT a compliance issue. never has been. It's in HR's ballpark.