10 Mid-Major forwards and centers to watch in 2012-13

Harry

3. Tony Mitchell - North Texas

Tony Mitchell was the consensus No. 20 recruit in the nation (and No. 2 in Texas behind Perry Jones) and committed to Missouri out of high school (which, ironically, could have saved Mike Anderson's job). But that didn't work out so he tore it up with Team USA for a bit before ending up as the most highly anticipated recruit in the history of the Sun Belt Conference. He averaged a double-double (14.7 points and 10.3 boards) this season as a freshman, had the 4th best DR% in the nation, and for kicks made 44% of his 3s.

read more: http://bloguin.com/runthefloor/2012-articles/may/10-mid-miajor-forwards-and-centers-to-watch-in-2012-13.html

Mid-major is a pejorative

term.

The NCAA does NOT use the terms "major" and "mid-major" to differentiate between Division I athletics conferences. There is no minor league in college basketball. Since the author does define what constitutes a "mid-major" the article is completely pointless.

Edited by Mark Gommesen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

term.

The NCAA does NOT use the terms "major" and "mid-major" to differentiate between Division I athletics conferences. There is no minor league in college basketball. Since the author does define what constitutes a "mid-major" the article is completely pointless.

term.

Not disagreeing with the MM part, but in general I don't think that pointing out semantical differences makes something completely pointless.

Not disagreeing with the MM part, but in general I don't think that pointing out semantical differences makes something completely pointless.

The article is pointless unless the term mid-major is defined. If mid-major could be defined as anything such as teams with green colored uniforms, mascots whose names start with a vowel or the worst 20 teams in college basketball. Obviously, the author does believe that theses are not the top ten centers or forwards in all of college basketball, only the top ten in the subset "mid-major" This not a question semantics, it is the entire premise of this article.

• Downvote 1

The article is pointless unless the term mid-major is defined. If mid-major could be defined as anything such as teams with green colored uniforms, mascots whose names start with a vowel or the worst 20 teams in college basketball. Obviously, the author does believe that theses are not the top ten centers or forwards in all of college basketball, only the top ten in the subset "mid-major" This not a question semantics, it is the entire premise of this article.

Most people refer to schools outside the 6 power leagues as mid majors. The MWC and A-10 have had enough success as of late that some people don't consider them mid majors at the moment. A few years ago the Valley was in that position (but has since, more or less rejoined the pack). However, despite some quality runs (Memphis, Gonzaga, Butler, etc), no school from outside the Power 6 has won a title since UNLV in 1991.

Yes, but do you really believe that?

I loathe the term, and despise that the media only enforces this misleading term, however most people know what it means. And I believe you know, at least on a general premise, this to be what CMJ explained.

It doesn't matter. You're allowed to not like the article. But I think it's great that TM is on this list. Even if you don't like the group, we can all agree it's more Mean Green publicity!

Just curious: why are you changing font sizes mid-paragraph?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

"1. Doug McDermott - Creighton

Like the No. 1 guard (Isaiah Canaan), McDermott really needs no introduction. He's not simply one of the best at the mid-major level, he's one of the best in all of college basketball. "

I can't stand the "Mid-Major" tag. It is clearly an effort by the "monied BCS football schools" to provide separation between themselves and the "non-monied BCS football (or non-football) schools" in the sport of basketball. The national media sux for promoting this. At the very least, basketball should be more like baseball where all top division schools are pretty much considered equal.Btw, nice pub for TM regardless.

• Upvote 1