2012 UNT player that most intrigues you?

Harry

For me it is nose tackle Tevinn Cantly. He was recruited by Dodge as a project who came on late in his high school career (perhaps he didn't play until his junior year?). He had that one thing you can't teach -- size and a fair amount of speed but was raw.

Dodge or more likely Mendoza tried to play him at defensive end which was one of many personnel mistakes they made. He underachieved in his first two years and suffered some injuries. I was ready to write him off but last season he started to really show me something. The guy is 6-4, 300 and pretty quick. Something mentally clicked in him last year...his game seemed to get more physical, more intense...

We know that Big Dick Abbé is starting to come on and Boutwell is already a key contributer. I just have this feeling that Cantly could surprise us and have a big year.

I'm partial to #90 as well. I still think that Boutwell would make a better DE than a tackle but he just keeps improving. He'll probably come in at 270 this fall which will still be undersized for the position but he'll do his job and the DL will be better for it.

I'm partial to #90 as well. I still think that Boutwell would make a better DE than a tackle but he just keeps improving. He'll probably come in at 270 this fall which will still be undersized for the position but he'll do his job and the DL will be better for it.

275 right now.

• Upvote 1

Will Wright

Wright will have to step up big time this season playing along side Jeremy Phillips and Zach Orr. Losing Stok hurt, the kid was beast plain and simply put, but Wright is probably more inclined in the passing game and more of a physical presence. He has the tools and the size to be a playmaker, he just hasn't shown it yet. Hopefully with another season to develop we'll start to see the front seven take over games, I think we'll have 4 all conference selections from the front seven.

• Upvote 1

For me it is nose tackle Tevinn Cantly. He was recruited by Dodge as a project who came on late in his high school career (perhaps he didn't play until his junior year?). He had that one thing you can't teach -- size and a fair amount of speed but was raw.

Dodge or more likely Mendoza tried to play him at defensive end which was one of many personnel mistakes they made. He underachieved in his first two years and suffered some injuries. I was ready to write him off but last season he started to really show me something. The guy is 6-4, 300 and pretty quick. Something mentally clicked in him last year...his game seemed to get more physical, more intense...

We know that Big Dick Abbé is starting to come on and Boutwell is already a key contributer. I just have this feeling that Cantly could surprise us and have a big year.

Harry, I like what you're saying, and also feel that Cantly, even when playing hurt, kept coming on stronger and stronger. The manager in our office is "friends of the family" and says that Tevinn is a stud. He'll do his damnedest this year, and I'm sure that more of us will see what you're seeing.

There are lot of intriguing players and for NT to be successful a lot are going to have to significantly step up their games. Picking one, I am going to go with Phillips; the forgotten lb. He had good freshman and sophomores years and I think will finish out big as a senior. Always has been a big play producer, and I look for him to be one of the best players on the team.

• Upvote 1