Post spring football series Part 4 — Wide receivers

Harry

There were times last season when UNT looked pretty good offensively. The Mean Green exploded for 59 points in a season-ending win over Middle Tennessee and scored 38 in wins over Troy and Louisiana-Monroe.

And then where were the times UNT looked pretty bad, including five times the Mean Green scored 21 points or less.

Ask UNT’s coaches where they need to improve so the former is more common than the later and the topic of speed and explosive play from the wide receiver spot always comes up.

UNT finished with just 11 pass plays of 30 or more yards last season and two of them were to running back Lance Dunbar. Offensive coordinator Mike Canales joked at UNT’s football banquet that Derek Thompson had an 83-yard touchdown pass. He threw it about 15 yards to Lance, and he did the rest.

Dan McCarney has said on numerous occasions that UNT has to get faster as a team. That includes the wide receiver spot.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/05/post-spring-football-series-part-4-wide-receivers.html/

Hmmm, still no mention of the walk-on from Southlake.

Renger. He's not on the roster, but he's still working out with the team per the NT Football performance charts that occasionally get posted up on facebook. If he sticks around, he'll be on the roster come fall.

That said, things have gone terribly wrong if we're counting on him for much of anything next year.

• Upvote 1

Renger. He's not on the roster, but he's still working out with the team per the NT Football performance charts that occasionally get posted up on facebook. If he sticks around, he'll be on the roster come fall.

That said, things have gone terribly wrong if we're counting on him for much of anything next year.

Was that your attitude about Delgado last spring, when he turned a few heads? Or perhaps Casey Fitzgerald a few springs before that?

Edited by SilverEagle

Mine too.

Celebrating walk-ons is one thing. And a walk-on program is an absolute must for finding those diamonds.

But if you're constantly needing multiple walk-ons to contribute and provide depth, there are some serious issues with your internal scouting reports/scholly offers.

Edited by greenminer

It's mine. Anytime you're hoping/praying that walk-ons will come out of nowhere and be starters, you're in trouble.

This...also throw in the fact Delgado and Fitz were not 18 and fresh out of high school...they'd been through years of collegiate practices.

The flip was pretty cool and I'm glad he's here and hope he continues to develop, maybe into a legitimate receiving option, but if he's cracking the two-deep out of this Fall camp we have bigger receiving issues than before feared.

I'm wondering how my comment about "no mention of" turned into hoping and praying? If I was "hoping and praying" I certainly would have remembered his frigg'in name.... :glare:

Like Delgado last spring I was noticing Renger from the early work-outs. He carries himself and moves about like someone who is very confident in his abilities. The same body language btw that I noticed in Brelan Chancellor when he arrived in the fall of his freshman year. Everyone thought that Brelan Chancellor was just the "accessory" sign-up in order to get Brandin Byrd, but he turned out to be much more. I was so impressed with Mr. Chancellor that when I was introduced to the WR coach I told him (in front of FFR) that I didn't know how they were going to keep him off the field and red-shirt him.

The flip was just the (aberrant and lucky) exclamation point of Renger's spring participation. He showed a lot of hustle and a lot of confidence in spring practice. THAT means more to me than a "flip". Too me, there is always room for someone like that on MY team. I don't know about yours.

I tend to agree that if walk-ons do better than ship players then we have some serious problems with recruitment.......AND ASSESSMENT ABILITIES with our coaching staff.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I really think we are in for a treat with some of these youngsters. Lancaster and Harris were great pickups as recruits, and Schrapps has all of the tools to be a good possession guy. Bynes, Delgado, and Chancellor returning is pretty solid. Teegarden and Sampson should help with depth. Plus DT should have plenty of time to get the ball to them this season (don't judge too harshly at LSU- 2 first rounders at D-End).