When A Broyles Era Razorback Said UT & North Texas Were...

...see quote in green.

..Below quote from former Frank Broyle's era Arkansas Razorback and now Clemson U AD Terry Don Phillips from Clemson's official athletic site:

"I have told many people that the toughest team we played in my college career at Arkansas was Texas," said Phillips. "The second toughest team we played was North Texas."

Arkansas beat North Texas 17-15 in 1968 when a last minute pass for a North Texas receiver in the end zone was ruled to be trapped."

______________________________________________________________________________________

Many on this boards friend the late Ron Shanklin who caught that pass for North Texas once told me at a Fort Worth Mexican restaurant several years ago that a number of Arkansas' players from that 1968 Razorback team had called him telling him they were embarrassed by the call because they knew he had not trapped that football.

That TD would have won the football game for that North Texas Mean Green football team.

Some of you on this board were at that game so......your take on that play?

The next Fall most of that same Arkansas Razorback football team would play Darrell Royal's Texas Longhorns for the NCAA College Football National Championship that the national sports media back in that day would call "the Game of the Century."

http://www.clemsonti...fo...10aaa.html

(AD Phillips quote in last paragraph)

GMG!

:no: In Closing:

Yes, one really has to shake his head when you realize that the talent level of our Mean Joe Greene era North Texas football teams

were of an NCAA Division 1 College Football National Championship level. Jeez, why couldn't we have just built on that?

GMG ! !

snapback.pngPlummMeanGreen, on 18 May 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

There comes a time you just have to leave the past behind...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You impress me Plumm. I had the over/under at 7 days.

Edited by adman

I was a HS senior when that North Texas/Arkansas game was played in Little Rock. Yes, this is the past and I'd think the kind that North Texas would want to learn and maybe even build from especially compared to all the under-achievement we've seen in most of the last 30 years. Most of those years have become quite forgettable for most except I suppose the ones that thats all they've seen for the most part.

Still makes me proud as a UNT alum when an AD from an ACC school who played on that Razorback team said that North Texas was 1 of the 2 best football teams he saw in his 4 years at the University of Arkansas. I'm trying very hard to understand why that would suddenly be a negative with a few who have yet as UNT students or alums ever seen a UNT MG HFC leave Denton above .500. in wins/losses. Hell, most of us Old Gun Alums have to go back decades for the last one we've seen

Free advice: Don't like a thread................don't read the thread, but criticizing a thread that several have responded to with fond memories (because #1 they were there) and a thread about our North Texas legacy and history at its highest pinnacle of success just takes the cake.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

I am saddened by some of the replies to older, passionate fans who remind younger alums of North Texas' history in major college football. Are you telling me that you're tired of hearing about the Tx Tech wins, the Tennessee victory, beating Oregon State, or Tulsa and Louisville, etc. back in the 1960's? Is the SFA win in 1994 as meaningful? Should we just quit bringing up the names of great players too, like Abner Haynes, for instance? Hey, Joe Greene's name should be buried too! Right? Is that what you younger fans are telling the "old guard"? All the while our neighbors to the South still think of Kyle Rote and Sammy Baugh as gods.

People these victories, these people who donned the green and white are all part of our history! Embrace it and never grow tired of hearing the stories from the great fans that were around to witness our history.

This thread has turned in the wrong direction and is disturbing to me. Shame on those of you who have derailed Plummer's post.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Thank you! This thread almost makes me sad to be a UNT fan. Who gives a flip about regular season games that happened 35+ years ago. As me and my friends say, "close the yearbook, man."

Douche worthy response.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I am saddened by some of the replies to older, passionate fans who remind younger alums of North Texas' history in major college football. Are you telling me that you're tired of hearing about the Tx Tech wins, the Tennessee victory, beating Oregon State, or Tulsa and Louisville, etc. back in the 1960's? Is the SFA win in 1994 as meaningful? Should we just quit bringing up the names of great players too, like Abner Haynes, for instance? Hey, Joe Greene's name should be buried too! Right? Is that what you younger fans are telling the "old guard"? All the while our neighbors to the South still think of Kyle Rote and Sammy Baugh as gods.

People these victories, these people who donned the green and white are all part of our history! Embrace it and never grow tired of hearing the stories from the great fans that were around to witness our history.

This thread has turned in the wrong direction and is disturbing to me. Shame on those of you who have derailed Plummer's post.

Amen, Deep!

• Upvote 1

The older guys have suffered through some rough times; I say "a-okay" for the sake of their catharsis.

I

I agree. There's not a lack of room on this board for any MeanGreener's opinions or reminiscences, and that is especially true now that we're about to go into the annual message board doldrums before 2 a days begin. If people don't want to read a thread because it's too old fashioned for them, they should simply avoid clicking on it, and instead just start one of their own if they believe that "more modern day stuff" has more relevance. Replies show the demand, and if no one replies the threads will just go away. Personally, I enjoy hearing the whole spectrum of the NT experience whether it's 1890 or 2012. I'll just choose to click on what interests me.

• Upvote 2

We some day want to be thought of as a great program just like the UT's the A$M's, and yes, the TCU's and even the SMU's of the world. All of them HAVE a history, and all of them CELEBRATE their history. This is just a good time of the year to remind the newer members of the family that we too have a history.........and it wasn't all bad.

Interesting and ironic that this threat,and some of the negative comments happened around Memorial day.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

We some day want to be thought of as a great program just like the UT's the A$M's, and yes, the TCU's and even the SMU's of the world. All of them HAVE a history, and all of them CELEBRATE their history. This is just a good time of the year to remind the newer members of the family that we too have a history.........and it wasn't all bad.

Interesting and ironic that this threat,and some of the negative comments happened around Memorial day.

When A&M and UT celebrate their history it's over championships and victories over great teams. Not "close" losses and wins over mediocre teams. UNT has had a few good years in its history, but overall it's been rather forgettable. Not saying you dismiss all our great players, but saying "what could have been" about teams from the 60s and 70s is like obsessing over a high school girlfriend.

I understand that might piss some of you older guys off, but that's just the view of a new fan or unbiased observer.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

When A&M and UT celebrate their history it's over championships and victories over great teams. Not "close" losses and wins over mediocre teams. UNT has had a few good years in its history, but overall it's been rather forgettable. Not saying you dismiss all our great players, but saying "what could have been" about teams from the 60s and 70s is like obsessing over a high school girlfriend.

I understand that might piss some of you older guys off, but that's just the view of a new fan or unbiased observer.

The irony here is that this is your signature line:

"Third Generation Mean Green!"

Like others have already pointed out, don't read it or click the link if you don't like it. I, personally, happen to like hearing about some of these old games---esp. anything from the Joe Greene era, which happened about a decade before I was born.

• Upvote 3

Not only is this thread an unprovoked dump on PMG for no reason during the offseason, but GL2Greatness is getting ready to post in it. That's a double threat.

• Upvote 1

I'll still talk about the domination of Baylor the following year when I'm an old man. Those games turned me into a die hard.

you celebrate the "domination" of a team that was 3-9 that season and that unT is 1-12 against all time and that beat unT the next year in dominating fashion when they were 3-8

pretty high standards for a "big win" and "domination" there

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

you celebrate the "domination" of a team that was 3-9 that season and that unT is 1-12 against all time and that beat unT the next year in dominating fashion when they were 3-8

pretty high standards for a "big win" and "domination" there

BOOM

• Upvote 3

Well...he's right.

I think we have a bright enough future where we don't have to constantly bring up moments in our history where we almost turned the corner because, IMO we have turned the corner by joining CUSA.

Now that the U.S. is a global super power, can we get rid of July 4? It's just wee Britain.

I get just as annoyed with the dismissal of anything current as you seem to, but, for a program with this rough a history, you really want to completley dismiss everything old because we might finally go 6-6 or 7-5 this year if everything goes right?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

From ECU blogger Denny OBrien:

"LOUISIANA TECH: Ruston is far from major market status, but Tech has the most football history :roadrage: of any of the C-USA additions." (Road rage over such a short-sighted IMO statement that shows there are some bloggers who need to use their Google or Wikopedia a little more before they post something they perceive to be true).

The rainbow colored signature at the bottom with all the schools we've beaten since the 50's there are none (I repeat.......NONE) of our fellow CUSA newcomers that can duplicate such wins. Check out some of the All Time wins of our fellow newcomers and just observe who they've padded their wins with. It's almost laughable.

That above quote from CUSA blogger Denny O'Brien was part of the inspiration for this thread because I think that blogger didn't do his research, but I bet he knows some of our history and legacy by now.

Obviously, we have many CUSA visitors and readers of Harry's board who may have come away from this thread most likely a bit surprised. And for the most part some of those visitors are the same ones' who make fun of our SBC membership and our 4 appearances in the NO's Bowl from 2001-2004. I thought back then as I do now that that was one of the best of times in UNT football history. I also thought at the time that Dickey should have gotten a higher echelon HFC's job for it, too, truth be told.

Still.............can we get back to agreeing to disagree without some of this what almost seems to be generational warfare (which is probably too strong a word for it)? Like Colin Powell said on a program touting his new autobiography last week, "when Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neil spent an entire day at each other's throats, many times they'd still get together in the evening have a few drinks and a whole bunch of laughs." That is what this whole nations needs to get back to once again.....IMO.

Folks, we have more in common than not because we are UNT alums and/or Mean Green fans. We should try to always remember that before we crucify or eat one of our own over what amounts to silly or petty things in the broad scheme of things . Will we always agree? Hell no we won't and we know we won't--like I didn't always agree with my own late parents, but I didn't throw em' under the bus when I didn't agree with them, either. And if we did agree all the time, what use would this and thousands of other message boards be since they are forums for fans to express opinions?

GMG and.......this!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

OK, consider this '72 & '75 graduate of UNT "pissed" by what you have said!

• Upvote 2

Hey, kids...when you go to a road game - OU, Texas, Bama, whomever - they have these videos that show their history...Ken Stabler, Billy Sims, Earl Campbell...bowl wins, championship wins, plays from big games long past against rivals.

See, we do have some of that history. And, contrary to what the young 'ens on board think, we need to exploit it the same way OU, Texas, and Bama, etc. do.

We need video screenage of Mean Joe and Cedric Hardeman crushing QBs, Steve Ramsey throwing TDs, Abner Haynes running touchdowns, Beasley Reece and J.T. Smith intercepting passes. We need scoreboards and highlights of us beating Tennessee, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, SMU...all of it. Hayden Fry and Rod Rust roaming the sidelines. We need it.

If you are like many of us in the business world, you know that perception is often reality. That's marketing. We have stuff to market, we just have to do it.

• Upvote 4

Hey, kids...when you go to a road game - OU, Texas, Bama, whomever - they have these videos that show their history...Ken Stabler, Billy Sims, Earl Campbell...bowl wins, championship wins, plays from big games long past against rivals.

See, we do have some of that history. And, contrary to what the young 'ens on board think, we need to exploit it the same way OU, Texas, and Bama, etc. do.

We need video screenage of Mean Joe and Cedric Hardeman crushing QBs, Steve Ramsey throwing TDs, Abner Haynes running touchdowns, Beasley Reece and J.T. Smith intercepting passes. We need scoreboards and highlights of us beating Tennessee, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, SMU...all of it. Hayden Fry and Rod Rust roaming the sidelines. We need it.

If you are like many of us in the business world, you know that perception is often reality. That's marketing. We have stuff to market, we just have to do it.

RV has already said that a great deal of unT history was allowed to waste away in the bowels of fouts

and you really think that highlights of a 5 point win in 1978 over a 3-8 OkState, or wins from 1986 and 1919 over TCU and the already mentioned single win over a terrible Baylor team are really things that current recruits want to see?

why not include the back to back 1976-1977 "wins" by forfeit over Mississippi State?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Listen, OU and Texas show themselves beating anyone. The people in the stands recognize the schools. Most of them have no idea whether Oklahoma State was good or bad in 1978, but they know they are good now. Only sports geeks like us know.

In the law, you call it "puffing your wares." You have leeway to do it, you just can't cross the line into fraud. We've got to sell what we have. We have history. We've beaten schools people in the this area know. You're giving it 5-10 second on a big screen before a football game. Do it.

Show people trying the product for the first time that the potential is here, and always has been. Show the people already on board that there is good reason to feel pride in staying on board.

The folks down at UT don't care that they've had two sub-par (for them) seasons in a row. They're still going to show their players beating Baylor, even though the didn't do it last year. They're going to show Earl Campbell and James Street and Tommy Nobis, even though they haven't played a down in decades.

You sell what you have. We have it.

I sell commercial insurance. I'm going to sell you on the benefit of being covered by those I'm tied to - the Hartford, Travelers, Zurich, CNA., Texas Mutual, etc. I'm not going to dwell on Hanover, Republic Group and others I don't sell. You don't dwell on what you don't have.

You run your flag up the pole and see who will salute it. The only way to not get it saluted is to run nothing up there. We don't have nothing. We have something. Sell it. Sell Fry, Rust, Odis, McCarney...famous players and games of the past, and the current stars tied to them.

• Upvote 4

Yea... And the only people who care about that kinda stuff at those schools are OLD too. This world is for younger more kickass fans. Sorry gramps.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2