Sun Belt officially adds UTA, says no new members

Harry

sunbelt-300x175.jpg

The Sun Belt Conference made one more addition, as expected, today – and that is the last membership change the league plans.

At least for now, that is.

The addition, effective July 1, 2013, is Texas-Arlington, which will come in from the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) Southland Conference as a non-football-playing member.

The announcement came at the end of the Sun Belt’s annual spring meetings in Destin, Fla., and in conjunction with word that the conference has tabled – at least for the immediate future – the possibility of expanding to 14 members, including 12 football-playing programs, so that it can stage a football championship game.

That means the Sun Belt, starting in the summer of 2013, will have a lineup of UL-Lafayette, Arkansas State, Florida Atlantic, Georgia State, Middle Tennessee, UL Monroe, South Alabama, Texas State, Troy and Western Kentucky, plus non-football-playing Arkansas-Little Rock and Texas-Arlington.

“The SBC presidents and chancellors,” Sun Belt president and Troy chancellor Jack Hawks said during a conference call late this morning, “are very well pleased and satisfied with the 12-team structure.

“However,” he added, “the SBC will continue to monitor the landscape of conferences across the country, and, if changes occur, we will be prepared to take the action that might be necessary.”

The league also addressed plans for geography-based division alignment starting in 2013, revealed a new five-year strategic plan and defended its recent changes in membership.

According to a statement from the conference, “it is the opinion of Sun Belt leadership that (the conference) has been proactive throughout the realignment process and the changes that have taken place to the league’s membership have not weakened the conference.

“In fact,” the statement continued, “the league’s membership and strength have been bolstered while several other conferences have taken steps backwards during the realignment process.”

Read more: http://www.thenewsst...TES02/120523018

This post has been promoted to an article

NMSU and Idaho are now officially in a world of hurt.

Wow! Where do they go now? NMSU during our bowl run had a pretty decen little team. That game in Denton where we clinched our 2nd conference championship still ranks as my all-time favorite game.

Seriously...where do they go?

• Upvote 1

Wow! Where do they go now? NMSU during our bowl run had a pretty decen little team. That game in Denton where we clinched our 2nd conference championship still ranks as my all-time favorite game.

The WAC will have more members in it...but it doesn't really shape out to be a full conference again until 2014 or something to that amount. I guess the NCAA can give NMSU/Idaho a pass to work as football independents until the WAC restocks.

• Downvote 2

The NMSU game was my favorite game at Fouts, too.

And the south Fouts Field goal-post tearing down by a football field full of students and fans I still have a photo of that one framed. I think it was Dickey's best moment as UNT HFC even over the bowl win against (now Big East member) Cincinatti.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The WAC will have more members in it...but it doesn't really shape out to be a full conference again until 2014 or something to that amount. I guess the NCAA can give NMSU/Idaho a pass to work as football independents until the WAC restocks.

How can the WAC do that? To add move ups by 2015 which is when the WACs current waiver expires, said move ups must announce their new membership and intent to move up by June 1. After that, the WAC will no longer be able to sponsor FCS move ups. Also, the move ups must play four home games each year against FBS opponents. How can NMSU and Idaho do that? This year, UTSA is getting a waiver to allow them just three FBS home games, but they still must have four next year. Do those WACy folks think the NCAA will waive HALF of the required games for SIX teams for Two years? If that's the case, them just allow anyone to move up at any time. I can't imagine there being enough votes for that, especially when the sentiment is to stop FCS move ups for ten more years.

• Upvote 1

"The addition, effective July 1, 2013, is Texas-Arlington, which will come in from the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) Southland Conference as a non-football-playing member."

Is this a "wordy" way of saying UTA is in for everything but football?

“In fact,” the statement continued, “the league’s membership and strength have been bolstered while several other conferences have taken steps backwards during the realignment process.”

The latest alteration essentially means that in the last couple months, since Karl Benson came on board as commissioner to replace Wright Waters, the Sun Belt has replaced outgoing North Texas and Florida International (both leaving for Conference USA) with Texas State (from the FCS Southland) and Georgia State (from the FCS Colonial Athletic Association) and outgoing non-football-playing Denver (leaving for the Western Athletic Conference, effective this summer) with Texas-Arlington.

Them there be fightin' words.