Post spring football series Part 1 — Quarterbacks

Post spring football series Part 1 — Quarterbacks

http://meangreenblog...rterbacks.html/

The question is if Thompson can build on that performance this season without the benefit of having record-setting quarterback Lance Dunbar behind him. The passing game was clearly the second option for UNT.

Edited by Mark Gommesen
  • Upvote 1

Thompson does seem to be improving but he is still the fourth best quarterback in the Belt going into the season. On top of that he has never been healthy for an entire season. Osborn is a good passer but will he get his chance this year? McNulty might be the better athlete but not a very good rating as a passer. I think it depends on who is recruited as to whether McNulty is redshirted or not.

McNulty should be redshirted. We have Thompson and Osborn and even Dodson. Whether McNulty stays at QB or to moved elsewhere, he deserves the chance to mature physically and mentally allowing the game to slow down for him as a QB or to learn a new position.

If you really watched the games last year you would have noticed that the game Lance sat out had the most creative and prolific offense of the year. Thompson was hot most of the game and receivers stepped up. The running game was the secondary choice and it flourished because the passing game was so effective. I liked Lance, but basing our entire offense on him was only good for him. Chico knows what to do with Thompson.

• Upvote 1

I think, pending some unforeseen injury to Thompson, that the Mean green are well set at QB going into the 2012 season. Thompson can be the leader UNT needs on the field and has shown marked improvement, in my opinion, in his decision making and execution. Of all the positions in question for the season, I think this one is the least of UNT's worries. Depth behind Thompson looks solid with Osborn and McNulty and Dodson. And, as jimbob just pointed out above, Thompson's most creative game came with Dunbar sidelined. Coul;d that bode well for Chico's offensive planning and play calling for 2012? I think it's a real possibility, and I think Thompson can execute that plan quite well. I am more than happy with the QB position going into 2012.

Now, defensive backs...that's another story altogether.

• Upvote 2

History should tell you, that only having three QB's ready is dangerous. If either Thompson or Osborn is injured, then a redshirt for McNulty would be difficult if that is the plan. More than one injured QB which as happened frequently at NT would be very bad. Going into a game with Dodson or Jones in the two deep would be very risky.

• Upvote 1

In 2011, Derek Thompson threw for 1,759 yards, which is the fifth most passing yards in a single season at North Texas since 1995. Derek Thompson threw 11 touchdowns with just six interceptions in 11 games. Last season 15 different players had at least one reception. All this in a season, where passing game was clearly the second option for UNT.

Perhaps no coach as a better track record at developing Quarterbacks than Mike Canales. Canales has coached five different quarterbacks which have earned All-America recognition.

Expect Derek Thompson to have a break-out year!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

History should tell you, that only having three QB's ready is dangerous. If either Thompson or Osborn is injured, then a redshirt for McNulty would be difficult if that is the plan. More than one injured QB which as happened frequently at NT would be very bad. Going into a game with Dodson or Jones in the two deep would be very risky.

Only play McNulty in an emergency situation. If it is one series of the last game of the season, then play Dodson, Jones, Teegarden, Feldt... anybody but McNulty.