Big-12 vs SEC playoff game

http://sports.yahoo....of7pYk.8Kc5nYcB

The Big 12 and the Southeastern conferences have announced a deal that will pit their football regular-season champions against each other in a New Year's Day bowl game for five years beginning in 2014,

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1

This seems to be a pretty big blow against the bowl system as it's currently set up. Watch out, ACC.

I guess this is the Big-12 and SEC's response to the semi-partnership that has developed between the Pac-12 and the Big Ten. It looks like the ACC to some extent and the BE are going to be SOL.

• Upvote 3

I guess this is the Big-12 and SEC's response to the semi-partnership that has developed between the Pac-12 and the Big Ten. It looks like the ACC to some extent and the BE are going to be SOL.

And it appears that the move by SMU and Houston to the BE is becoming less worthwhile..... but perhaps more expensive in travel and changing leagues charges... too bad.. :)

Also if the A&M excells in the SEC then they get to play their Big-12 buddies.

Will this mean the better teams from each league will want to schedule the other league less now since they risk playing them again later?

If #1 appears in one of these leagues and #2 doesn't ..this puts pressure on NCAA to extablish some type of playoff.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 3

And it appears that the move by SMU and Houston to the BE is becoming less worthwhile..... but perhaps more expensive in travel and changing leagues charges... too bad.. :)

Also if the A&M excells in the SEC then they get to play their Big-12 buddies.

Will this mean the better teams from each league will want to schedule the other league less now since they risk playing them again later?

If #1 appears in one of these leagues and #2 doesn't ..this puts pressure on NCAA to extablish some type of playoff.

If you are SMU, Houston, UCF and Memphis now might be a good time to consider going back to C-USA, they can bring USF with.

The biggest loser in all of this is the ACC. Not only will this accelerate quality teams bolting, it will also effectively make them no better than the former Non-AQ's.

Edited by JulesFIU07
  • Upvote 1

so the champions of each conference will meet unless one of them is picked as a top 4 playoff team....i'm pretty sure this bowl will NEVER see the two true champions of the conferences. one of these conferences will always have a top four team...seems like a stupid agreement for this bowl...they won't ever have the true champions of the two conferences

• Upvote 1

The SEC and the Big 12 staked out a big chunk of real estate in that world on Friday by announcing a five-year agreement for their champions to meet in a Jan. 1 bowl game that will be determined at a later date. The first game will be Jan. 1, 2015. The working name for this new Bowl is the Champions Bowl.

One unique feature of this new arrangement: The Champions Bowl will be bid out. The Sugar Bowl is the preferred site, but I'm thinking Jerry Jones has a war chest of his own to bring the game to Cowboys Stadium. Atlanta and the Georgia Dome will want in.

This another blatant money grab by two richest conferences to the determent of the other conferencess.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/19085364/champions-bowl-changes-college-footballs-big-picture

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/19084239/sec-big-12-agree-to-bowl-matchup-champs-will-play-if-not-in-playoff

• Upvote 1

It is understandable why they need another Bowl Game....

Big 12 Bowl Games 2011-2012: Eight Teams In Eight Games

Independence Bowl:

Missouri Tigers vs. North Carolina Tar Heels

Holiday Bowl:

California Golden Bears vs. Texas Longhorns

Alamo Bowl:

Washington Huskies vs. Baylor Bears

Pinstripe Bowl:

Rutgers Scarlet Knights vs. Iowa State Cyclones

Insight Bowl:

Iowa Hawkeyes vs. Oklahoma Sooners

Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas:

Northwestern Wildcats vs. Texas A&M Aggies

Fiesta Bowl:

Stanford Cardinal vs. Oklahoma State Cowboys

SEC Bowl Games 2011-2012: Seven Teams In Seven Games Other Than BCS National Championship

Music City Bowl:

Mississippi State Bulldogs vs. Wake Forest Demon Deacons

Liberty Bowl:

Vanderbilt Commodores vs. Cincinnati Bearcats

Chick-Fil-A Bowl:

Auburn Tigers vs. Virginia Cavaliers

Gator Bowl:

Florida Gators vs. Ohio State Buckeyes

Capitol One Bowl:

South Carolina Gamecocks vs. Nebraska Cornhuskers

Outback Bowl:

Georgia Bulldogs vs. Michigan State Spartans

Cotton Bowl:

Arkansas Razorbacks vs. Kansas State Wildcats

BCS National Championship Game:

Edited by Mark Gommesen

This will hurt the MWC/C-USA. These conferences were hoping to expand bowl opportunities for member schools. The Big 12 and the SEC just sucked up a huge amount of media dollars. I sure the old BCS bowls, ACC and the BE are not pleased about this development. I think the lawyers are probably already at work on this one. I am sure some members of congress may want to weight in on this.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This will hurt the MWC/C-USA. These conferences were hoping to expand bowl opportunities for member schools. The Big 12 and the SEC just sucked up a huge amount of media dollars.

Let's get real for a second. CUSA and the MWC were not in the running for a New Year's Day Bowl nor were they looking to match up with SEC #1 or Big 12 #1.

Let's get real for a second. CUSA and the MWC were not in the running for a New Year's Day Bowl nor were they looking to match up with SEC #1 or Big 12 #1.

The major-minors are competing for media dollars. Networks and advertisers do not have unlimited funds. One more major bowl means fewer advertisers and networks funds for major-minor level bowls. If I remember right, Boise State and TCU were members of the WAC and MWC, respectively when they invited to major bowls. Remember the big fuss when TCU bumped the B1G conference out of Rose Bowl. If one the major bowls do become the exclusive property of the major conferences it does limit opportunities for major minors. It appears that the SEC/BIG 12 is eyeing the Sugar Bowl. The PAC12 and the B1G have always claim squatters rights to the Rose Bowl. A four team playoff only requires three bowl games, there are four BCS bowls.Yet there talk about adding an additional national championship after the bowl games. That's two too any unless... Edited by Mark Gommesen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This game will NEVER pit the two champions against each other. One or both will likely get a BCS bowl or the National Championship, OR one or both will qualify for the new 4-team playoff once the playoff era begins.

Having the two champions play is not the point. The B1G and the Pac-12 champions have the Rose Bowl. Both conferences stress this is higher and more important than any BCS type bowl except the National Championship. This new "bowl" puts the BigXII and SEC on the same level as those other two.

• Upvote 1

This game will NEVER pit the two champions against each other. One or both will likely get a BCS bowl or the National Championship, OR one or both will qualify for the new 4-team playoff once the playoff era begins.

Which is why they are doing this, to make sure that their champions are already "in the playoff."

I can see that it keeps the B1G/Pac-12 from getting ahead of them. I have no quarrel if it would stop right there. No change in the number of bowl games and assures the Big 12 or the SEC a spot in the finals when the playoff occurs.

What may rankle me about the Big 12 is that they will likely add Florida State and Clemson to their conference. That should add big TV bucks to the Big 12 coffers and deflate the ACC and all conferences below the Big Four. Mark G is right; the majors gobble up more of the total TV dollars available leaving everyone else with less.

I am going to speculate, every one else does so I'll take a crack at it. I have a feeling that this will end up as one of the playoff games, and the other conferences will join to do the same thing, thus bringing about a "true champion." It seems to me the conferences realize their the ones who control the shots, not ESPN.

I am going to speculate, every one else does so I'll take a crack at it. I have a feeling that this will end up as one of the playoff games, and the other conferences will join to do the same thing, thus bringing about a "true champion." It seems to me the conferences realize their the ones who control the shots, not ESPN.

This is the others joining in. The other game is called the Rose Bowl where the PAC-12 and Big-10 champs play.