UNT approves sorority row

Stan R

Sorotiy Row - DRC

I think it is interesting that one of the Alpha Delta Pi sorority sisters says that this will improve attendance at the atheltic events. I'd have to agree!!

Also, I think it is interesing that the school has agreed to fund this and then "lease" the facilites to the sororities. That to me is further proof that sororities are completely different from fraternities. I don't think you would ever see a fraternity go for this setup.... Also odd that all five buildings are connected but with a commons area in the back. Interesting concept.

ph34r.gif

This is great news for the Sororities. It's about time! The Fraternities have been building their own Greek row for some time. Any major university will find a way to have great facilities for their Greek system. UNT is becoming a major university and should have these facilities. Sororities and Fraternities make some of your most loyal alumni. They have a tendency to stay in touch with the university. Way to go UNT!

I was a Delta Sig at UNT, and the current Fraternity row is sort of set up the same. The University actually owns the property and the Fraternities lease it from them on a long term basis. I'm not sure what the going rate is for new leases, but when the Phi Kap, Sigma Nu, and Delta Sig house's were built we actually got the lease for like $1 a year from the University. They were trying to encourage Fraternities to build. Should be great when the Sororities get houses.......That whole area will be a real Greek community.

GMG!!!!

Careful, Jim, or the neighbors around the sorority row will demand a greenbelt because we have taken away their beautiful parking lot. The may no longer be able to see the sunset with these buildings in the way.

In the 50s, all of the soroties were housed at Chilton Hall, Avenue C and Chestnut. The building was U-shaped with a common courtyard in back. There were six sororities then and each had a 'ramp' with their own entrance. It was a great atmosphere and stimulated the growth of the female Greek system. I think that this will do the same for the current sororities.

I do wonder though. There are 13 sororities and only five of them are strong enough financially to warrant a long-term lease? I don't remember Chi Omega being included and they were very strong when I was there. Also, I believe that they added a chapter of Delta Zeta, another strong national fraternity. Will this sorority row have a Phase 2 for possible expansion?

Well I have had some very bad experiences with greeks at games as has been chronicled in the past.

I have learned that I can't let the few that got under my skin sour my opnion of greek athletic support as a whole.

I still think there is room for improvement in that area, and if this new row can help, that's great.

I think that this is a great idea. I was an active member of our fraternity, and we made it mandatory for our brothers to attend the games. Fraternities and Sororities and just like any other organization. There will be some people in those groups that you just don't like, but don't let them be the deciding factor when forming opinions about the group as a whole.

"Stop the personal attacks."

I was thinking about making some impersonal ones, but I suppose that is "verboten" as well. cool.gif

It's really too bad. Someone, who shall remain unnamed (or is that "unnumbered"? smile.gif)was just about to get himself worked up into a full fledged "Donald-Duck fit". rolleyes.gif

Am I missing something in the DMN and DRC article today on UNT's new sorority houses? I mean come on now, we are talking 5 separate living quarters within 1 huge house with 25 beds per house here? What is all the excitement about over just 125 students? wink.gif And someone please tell me what size the beds are in each of those co-eds rooms, anyho........???? blink.gifohmy.giftongue.gifcool.giflaugh.gifph34r.gif